Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624451 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5225 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:49:36 pm »
Hurumpf!  My mates seem to think that watching the Footballer's Cup of Footballing is preferable to coming out to the pub quiz.
Gah!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5226 on: 08 September, 2014, 09:02:26 pm »
We'd come with you! :D
Getting there...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5227 on: 08 September, 2014, 09:45:51 pm »
So I've been prescribed Cinnarizine for balance disorder (so ironic for someone who used to be able to tightrope walk). That means I pay the £8 odd for a standard prescription.

However, if I walked into a chemist and asked for something for travel sickness, I'd be sold exactly the same drug, over the counter, at a more sensible retail price.

OFFS
Has anyone looked at longer term balance rehab for you or indeed the cause of your issues?

Having done the "vestibular fail" gauntlet to death one thing I learned was drugs slow down long term rehab rather than anything else and they should be looking at balance-retraining exercises for you at the very least.  I did of course get this lecture very smugly from an audiological physician it had taken me 12+ months to get to see, and it took 6+ months for the rehab "vestibular tai chi" to come through on top of that and unfortunately it broke other bits of me instead - tai bloody chi broke me...

I buy a prepayment card, yearly if I'm not poor cos CBA but otherwise 3 month ones and stretch my usual drugs out so I just don't have to worry about docs giving me drugs as I'm likely to need at least one random prescription a year on top of my 4-6 repeat script items which I use as needed.  I agree scripts should be free at the point of pharmacy especially to people on low incomes who don't meet criteria (students often come under this) for reductions/free drugs.

« Reply #5228 on: 08 September, 2014, 10:11:48 pm »
So I've been prescribed Cinnarizine for balance disorder (so ironic for someone who used to be able to tightrope walk). That means I pay the £8 odd for a standard prescription.

However, if I walked into a chemist and asked for something for travel sickness, I'd be sold exactly the same drug, over the counter, at a more sensible retail price.

OFFS
Has anyone looked at longer term balance rehab for you or indeed the cause of your issues?
The current suggestion is vestibular problems are caused by going on a fairground ride and should go away.
I have two weeks of tablets to prove that is the cause and should recover. We'll see.

The good news is that I can ride a bike when I'm not capable of riding walking in a straight line.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5229 on: 08 September, 2014, 11:17:26 pm »
I've never been on various fairground rides. My parents don't like rollercoasters, my dad gets very wobbly and distressed so I've never been to a theme park.  By the time such things sounded even slightly tempting due to peer pressure I had balance issues and decided that I didn't need anything else to piss my vestibular system off.  I think I had a lucky escape!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5230 on: 08 September, 2014, 11:23:44 pm »
I've never been on various fairground rides.

Think of them as a bit like a giant Kettwiesel with no handlebars.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5231 on: 10 September, 2014, 08:00:54 am »
My copy of "Two Days in Yorkshire" arrived yesterday. Nice pictures of Ilkley. Pity one of them has been cropped about two feet short of where me and Mum were standing. The people next to us are there but we're not.

Bah!
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5232 on: 11 September, 2014, 10:53:51 am »
P-clips! Where are they? It seems the only supply of 40mm p-clips in the whole wide world is on the internet. I've tried seven or eight local places - builders merchants, hardware stores, tool shops, motor factors - cos I want them NOW! and the best answer so far is "Are they for growing peas?"  :D So it seems I'll have to order them from Westfield Fasteners and pay about £5 postage for a £2 purchase. Oh well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5233 on: 11 September, 2014, 11:21:37 am »
I used copper pipe p-clips on the Raleigh as the tubes were too thin for the p-clips I could see advertised. They held a rack and pannier on for a few months without any problems. Bought them from the plumbing section of B&Q but can't find them on their website
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5234 on: 11 September, 2014, 12:51:40 pm »
It's just taken me about 20 minutes to find a working stapler with staples in it. There seems to have been some sort of Great Collapsing Hrung Disaster on the staplers of south east Edinburgh. That won't happen in an independent Scotland; it'll be working staplers for everyone.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5235 on: 11 September, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »
Perhaps all the staples are fleeing south in case of a yes vote :demon:

« Reply #5236 on: 13 September, 2014, 04:04:14 pm »
Ooh the pain!  Just got arse-raped £22.40 for the most hideous 2 pin spanner one end/pedal spanner the other end, by SJS Cycles.  We all know what Chinese tat looks like, but this looks likes something from the rejects bin.  It's made out of some sort of Chinese monkey metal.   :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5237 on: 13 September, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »
Who redesigned my bloody Guardian?
Getting there...

« Reply #5238 on: 14 September, 2014, 11:20:12 am »
I'm supposed to be on the way to the Plough at Little London, by bike. But last night I started feeling shivery & achey, & now I have a headache & a fever.

Bugger!

Mrs B's gone without me.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5239 on: 14 September, 2014, 04:15:23 pm »
Why aren't toilet u-bends made bigger?

Toilet designers wouldn't try to u-turn an articulated truck in a one way street would they?  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5240 on: 14 September, 2014, 04:17:29 pm »
Why aren't toilet u-bends made bigger?

Because you'd need more water to flush them?

« Reply #5241 on: 14 September, 2014, 04:19:42 pm »
I don't think that you would.  There would just be a bigger reservoir!  I'm no rocket scientist though!

fuzzy

« Reply #5242 on: 14 September, 2014, 08:18:08 pm »
Inadequate U bends is why rubber gloves were invented. DAHIKT :sick:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5243 on: 15 September, 2014, 06:52:22 am »
Some fucker in an adjacent room is snoring loud enough to be heard in here.  The air-con may have to go back on >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5244 on: 15 September, 2014, 09:00:37 am »
I don't think that you would.  There would just be a bigger reservoir!  I'm no rocket scientist though!

I think its about flow velocity.  Bigger u bend = lower flow velocity.  You need a decent velocity to flush the turds out.  Basically, you need to be producing smaller turds!
Wombat

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5245 on: 15 September, 2014, 06:31:44 pm »
Decided to try going swimming again as I thought it might help my arm recover. It's been shut for a couple weeks but the website says it's open again from today and gives a full timetable.

Of course when I get there it's still shut. Would it really be that hard to put on your website that you aren't actually open before people who believe your website travel to the next town to go swimming?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5246 on: 16 September, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »
Dear Mr Bus driver, I asked you if the diversion was still in place or not. You didn't have to tell me it had been off for 'weeks' like I'm some sort of half wit - funnily enough people travelling to and from the airport stop might not use your service every day, just a simple yes or no would have done.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5247 on: 19 September, 2014, 07:14:26 am »
I am in Carlsbad, New Mexico.  It has been pissing down for most of the last six hours.  My internet connection has been up and down like a bipolar jack-in-the-box for much the same period.  I do not know whether these facts are related but the rain has eased now and the internets seem to be jbexing correctly.

However I don't know whether I've succeeded in booking tomorrow night's accommodation once, three times or not at all.  Arse >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5248 on: 19 September, 2014, 08:19:26 am »
Hermes.

I loathe couriers.

« Reply #5249 on: 19 September, 2014, 12:42:33 pm »
My tennis elbow has returned, only twenty times worse!

My left arm is currently just an ornament. I've strapped it again, which helps me to lift things but the pain is really bad this time. All of my forearm and little finger is very painful, as well as the elbow.

The only thing that doesn't hurt my arm.........

Riding my bike :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I don't get paid to do that :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert