Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624213 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8450 on: 25 December, 2016, 03:58:35 pm »
What's with the Christmas spectacles all over my Faceache feed? Is this the latest thing?

Seems so.
My brother and his lot came round yesterday with Crombo Specs which we were obliged to wear ( at least for long enough for the obligatory photie ).

« Reply #8451 on: 26 December, 2016, 08:43:28 am »
The fairy has been for a visit, she obviously couldn't find the shed so left the hole somewhere inside the boiler.   ::-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8452 on: 26 December, 2016, 09:42:37 am »
Ar.  This Christmas I are mostly letting air out of the heating system at Fort Larrington.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8453 on: 26 December, 2016, 11:12:32 am »
The fairy has been for a visit, she obviously couldn't find the shed so left the hole somewhere inside the boiler.   ::-)
Oh dear :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8454 on: 28 December, 2016, 12:48:59 pm »
The afternoon day this week when it'll be warm enough for me to get out, and I've got the bloody dentist. :demon:

Missus keeps harping on about the turbo. Fuck that, you can't ride down the Froeschwiller hill at 70 on a turbo.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8455 on: 29 December, 2016, 09:57:24 am »
I keep my mobile on charge next to the bed.    A friend thought I'd be so eager to hear the sad news about Debbie Reynolds he texted me at 05:15  >:(

I then drifted back to sleep & into an annoying dream about being on a campsite, dealing with multiple punctures which kept recurring.  I hope this isn't a bad omen for 2017..

When I finally hauled myself out of bed & off to work it was still below freezing,  I had to scrape frost of the hire bikes saddle,  I suppose it's one way to ensure you are alert   :o
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #8456 on: 29 December, 2016, 10:22:44 am »
My new neighbour parked across my driveway last week.  If I lived on a housing estate, this would have been very mildly irritating, but I would have simply parked in front/behind it.  However, I live (as virtually everyone else in the village does) just off a main(ish, 40mph limit though the village, out to 60mph just after) road, so the driveway enters directly onto the main road. It's also near the top of a hill, so parking directly on the road isn't very smart.  It would actually have been less inconvenient if they had parked all the way onto the drive, as there is more than enough room to park several cars/shuffle around, but by parking across the gateway it prevented us from getting in at all.   I'm slightly at a loss why they did it; their own driveway is only 30-40m down the hill from ours  ???

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8457 on: 29 December, 2016, 06:47:24 pm »
Bollocky bollocks.

I've somehow put my back out today, probably humphing skis around.
And we're off skiing tomorrow.

Hope it settles down quickly.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8458 on: 29 December, 2016, 08:56:08 pm »
Absent mindedly pulled off only one side of the foil covering of a chocolate coin before popping it into my mouth.
Wow.  Hurty electric zing.   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8459 on: 29 December, 2016, 09:38:10 pm »
Absent mindedly pulled off only one side of the foil covering of a chocolate coin before popping it into my mouth.
Wow.  Hurty electric zing.   :(

My latest trick has been taking a throat lozenge and popping it into my mouth - without unwrapping it first.   :facepalm:   
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8460 on: 31 December, 2016, 12:15:35 am »
My old PC has recently become very erratic, in ways that remind me of past HDD failures - & CHKDSK has found dodgy things on that disc. So, I thought, rather than fiddle around trying to sort out an old - & cheap when new - piece of hardware, I'd replace it. Mrs B was urging rapid replacement, & definitely wanted new, off the shelf so it could be up & running ASAP, & with a warranty, so I got what she wanted. Basic new PC (that seems to mean a terabyte of HDD these days, unless one opts for an SSD) with an OS installed.

I hate Windows 10.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #8461 on: 31 December, 2016, 10:09:20 am »
Wait until you've lived with it for a while - you'll hate it even more!

Forced updates, deletion of your apps it no longer likes......

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8462 on: 31 December, 2016, 10:24:47 am »
It killed my perfectly legal edition of Office.  Bastard.
Milk please, no sugar.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #8463 on: 31 December, 2016, 10:38:24 am »
Don't worry, you'll soon learn to loath it.

« Reply #8464 on: 01 January, 2017, 10:05:13 am »
Whenever I want it to do anything . . . . e.g. open files with my old (legal, paid for) Office applications. It goes out of its way to push me towards renting software I don't need. It was quite a fight to make it let me use my old Office stuff for files with an extension ending in x.

The Microsoft principle - if it works, break it! Connecting this PC to the others is proving unnecessarily difficult. There's a long discussion online about a bug (printing off or saving to file the network password needs making Internet Explorer your default browser temporarily, although otherwise W10 tries to make you use Edge), with a succession of MS support staff pretending it isn't a bug & saying "it's no problem, there's a workround".  :facepalm:  And the old "Easy Transfer" tool for grabbing all your bookmarks, passwords etc. & copying them across - guess what? Dropped from W10! WTF?

BTW, when did Microsoft stop being a company that made things & sold them, & start trying to live off rents?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #8465 on: 01 January, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »
My laptop has started telling me to "Fix your Microsoft account".  Since it started doing this as soon as it was switched on for the first time in three months, I can only conclude that if my Microsith account is b0rked it is none of my doing and therefore Microsith can fix it.  Or fuck off.  Their choice.

« Reply #8466 on: 01 January, 2017, 08:59:05 pm »
Dear aged parents,  you have both been using Macs for years.  Why therefore are you both utterly incapable of updating an email password when your ISP tells you there has been a security breach  :facepalm:

Both accounts reset via ISP,  both Macs  updated, both iPads updated,  passwords written down on scrap of paper.  Grrrrrr.... 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8467 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:57:45 pm »
I don't think Aged Parents do passwords well, if at all.

Mine are on Windows but even being of crisp mentation, remembering and retaining numerous passwords is too much for the Aged Brane. My brane is younger and still struggles. I am just thankful that my Aged Parents (combined age 166) are online and able to make some use of the technology.
Partner's Dad is not online.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8468 on: 02 January, 2017, 09:43:34 am »
I thought my evostik was a bit past it, but it seems very effective at coating my fingertip and now attempting to take the skin off with it
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8469 on: 02 January, 2017, 11:25:33 am »
I don't think Aged Parents do passwords well, if at all.

Mine are on Windows but even being of crisp mentation, remembering and retaining numerous passwords is too much for the Aged Brane. My brane is younger and still struggles. I am just thankful that my Aged Parents (combined age 166) are online and able to make some use of the technology.
Partner's Dad is not online.

Yes, now feeling guilty about being grumbly.  Dad keeps forgetting what he said 20 minutes ago  :(

I don't know what I did yesterday, shouldered the bike a bit to quickly or lay down on the couch awkwardly after dinner but I've knackered my right shoulder & neck. Moving my head in any direction hurts. Painful enough to result in a bad nights sleep.   :(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #8470 on: 02 January, 2017, 05:31:04 pm »
I need to plug a couple of RCA leads into the back of Miss von Brandenburg's amplifier, because trying to listen to music via the squeakers on my lapdancer hurts me ears so badly that I could only stand it for ten seconds.  But it lives in a cupboard and may have to be done in braille.

It ought to be mandatory for amplifier makers to include a picture of the rear panel in The Fucking Manual >:(

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8471 on: 02 January, 2017, 06:20:04 pm »
Is there not a 3mm input jack on the front of said amp?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8472 on: 02 January, 2017, 06:26:16 pm »
Reach behind amp with phone grasped in mitt. Press button, take picture, withdraw mitt. Examine picture to determine approximate location of correct 'oles.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8473 on: 02 January, 2017, 06:36:48 pm »
I need to plug a couple of RCA leads into the back of Miss von Brandenburg's amplifier, because trying to listen to music via the squeakers on my lapdancer hurts me ears so badly that I could only stand it for ten seconds.  But it lives in a cupboard and may have to be done in braille.

I was thinking recently that labelling the back panels of things in actual braille would be a good idea.  The learning curve isn't that awful for recognising the difference between ⠇ and ⠗  or ⠊⠝⠼⠃ or whatever.

It ought to be mandatory for amplifier makers to include a picture of the rear panel in The Fucking Manual >:(

Indeed.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #8474 on: 02 January, 2017, 07:10:54 pm »
Is there not a 3mm input jack on the front of said amp?

Short answer: no.

Reach behind amp with phone grasped in mitt. Press button, take picture, withdraw mitt. Examine picture to determine approximate location of correct 'oles.

Too dark for my crap phone camera.  But I found one for sale on Fleabay, complete with a picture of the back.  Yay.  But I'm missing my sub-woofer already.  Dave Anderson's bass should not sound that weedy.