Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624473 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8900 on: 06 June, 2017, 02:17:43 pm »
We are selling a really heavy, big front door via Gumtree.
I give the dimensions and say it is heavy in the advert.
The advert says we are in York. It says we can possibly deliver in York.
A potential buyer contacts me and asks is it still for sale.
They then ask if we can deliver to London. A £30 door.

The door is that way.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8901 on: 06 June, 2017, 05:05:25 pm »
Last night I was trying to get away "early" from work at 17:00, having arrived at 07:00 after a couple of 12  hour days beforehand. Only to get to the bike cage to find a knobhead had locked his and mine. Cue much faffage and getting to the verge of cutting my own rack (which was the the locked part).  I managed to contact him 45 minutes later, and he turned up to unlock.

"That was stupid" quoth he
"Yes" I said, "You are stupid, and to prove it you are stupid enough to leave your credit card in your saddle pack. Which at least let me find you."

I inadvertently exhibited this degree of divness at Addenbrookes today.  Luckily other person was either staff or had a longer appointment than me. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #8902 on: 07 June, 2017, 04:36:06 pm »
My left shoulder and neck are very stiff and achey today.

ian

« Reply #8903 on: 07 June, 2017, 09:43:34 pm »
I was planning a trip to the shop on the way home but got the wrong train (I presume a last minute platform alteration at East Croydon and I had my headphones in so was oblivious to any announcements) – it was supposed to be the right train. Anyway, all fine, I can get off at another nearby station and get the bus, but I couldn't then be bothered going to the supermarket as the bus goes tauntingly close to my house and I have some pita breads that I can assemble into tasty food.

Or I could, if they weren't now blue and fluffy. I don't seem to have much other food. I probably should have gone to the shops. I'm going to have to brave the freezer, the place where food goes to be forgotten about. I could eat a block of cheese, I suppose.

ElyDave

« Reply #8904 on: 07 June, 2017, 10:20:26 pm »
you have beer and gin?

ian

« Reply #8905 on: 07 June, 2017, 10:37:58 pm »
True, I do have about 200 bottles of gin and a large trunk full of beer (and there's probably more in the garage). I generally don't drink on a school night, but given I've had a long day involving cat barf, a four hour presentation, and other travails, maybe boozish liquids and a big block of cheddar should be on the menu.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8906 on: 08 June, 2017, 07:35:30 pm »
... maybe boozish liquids and a big block of cheddar should be on the menu.
If you have oatcakes to go with the cheese then that counts as health food.  Well it does in my book, MrsLurker has yet to be convinced by the overwhelming logic of my argument that I ain't dead yet, ergo it's good for me.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

« Reply #8907 on: 08 June, 2017, 08:19:50 pm »
... maybe boozish liquids and a big block of cheddar should be on the menu.
If you have oatcakes to go with the cheese then that counts as health food.  Well it does in my book, MrsLurker has yet to be convinced by the overwhelming logic of my argument that I ain't dead yet, ergo it's good for me.

works for me, I subsist on oatcakes, cheese, apples and nuts.  Wine/cider contribute to the 5 a day, beer provides extra protein and boozahol sterilises.

I aint dead yet either

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8908 on: 14 June, 2017, 02:21:49 pm »
Having just watched the bin men ignore the mounds of festering bin bags left by the student exodus, I've attempted to spur the council into action using their "report fly tipping" form.  Which complains we're not in Birmingham.  So I've used the "report spilt rubbish" form instead (there is indeed no shortage of spilt rubbish).

Heatwave, you say?  Marvellous.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #8909 on: 14 June, 2017, 07:26:10 pm »
I feel that Amazon should not sell fire extinguishers/blankets or allow other companies to sell them if they don't meet BS kitemark or CE standards. It has taken me much longer than it should have done to select 2 extinguishers and a fire blanket.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #8910 on: 14 June, 2017, 09:04:40 pm »
Bicycle parts. Buying thereof. I want the thing that connects the handlebars to the bit that goes to the forks. Stem, I know that, I'm not an idiot. Looks kind of standard, I can just buy one and undo a few bolts and et voilà. As it's my wife's bike she'll be impressed. She'd better be, it's been broken* since she bought the bike, which means I've been fixing it for four years.

OK, how big. I don't know. Go to garage with tape measure. Measure it. Come back. Realise I need about eight different measurements. What does the 28.6 mm cryptically refer to? Is that 1 1/8th of an inch? What's the diameter of the handle bars? I don't fucking know, I thought handlebars were handlebars. Why does the world need different diameters. They don't, that's what.

Fuck it, easier just to Google the local bike shop and let them do it. And why is the fucking shop at the top of the bloody giant hill and not the bottom? Both of them, each up huge hills.

*it's always made a horrid creaking noise, which I assumed was just the way it was given the fearsome death grip my wife exerts on the bars when she rides, assuming as she does that every moment will be her last, and the crappiness of an adjustable stam. But last week she refused to ride it any more unless I fix it. So I took it apart (why, I don't know, it just seemed like the right thing to do, it's not like I've ever fixed anything, generally I can't even put them back together). I did however notice it was missing one of the washer/gripper things that I imagine is important and was never there. Another grumble in that.

« Reply #8911 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:23:10 am »
FFS
A couple of days ago I pressed the button to unlock the car, and it locked. I figured I hadn't locked it, and continued as normal, though I was perplexed at the amount of crap that had been taken out of the glovebox and dumped on the floor.
Today, I went to get my sunnies off the little shelf they live on, and they weren't there (nor the cases, nor my regular glasses case, nor the broken ones in their case).   >:(
I guess some barsteward realised my car was open and had a rifle around prior to helping themselves to my sunnies. They are Oakley Flak Jackets, but they are prescription ones, so they are basically worthless to anyone except me.  :'(
I liked them, they were only a year old, and they were very pricey. Now I'll have to spend money I didn't want to spend on glasses, to replace something I liked. I've had Flak Jackets twice now - maybe it's time for something else.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8912 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:32:23 am »
At least you haven't got to buy a new side window, which seems to be a regular occurrence for car owners hereabouts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8913 on: 15 June, 2017, 09:44:12 am »
Oh bloody hell.   Why do I never remember to take the butter dish out of the fridge when I go to bed at night?
It would have been easier if I'd tried to spread a block of marble on my toast.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8914 on: 15 June, 2017, 12:29:19 pm »
Oh bloody hell.   Why do I never remember to take the butter dish out of the fridge when I go to bed at night?

10 seconds in the microwave should sort it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8915 on: 15 June, 2017, 12:38:02 pm »

Yes.  I suppose.   I've  been put off that method since my last and only attempt over did it somewhat.  :sick:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8916 on: 15 June, 2017, 12:52:14 pm »
Ah yes.  Some calibration required.  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8917 on: 15 June, 2017, 01:16:16 pm »
Also not very good if the butter is frozen to the metal butter dish.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8918 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »
Or just switch the fridge off and leave the door open before retiring.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8919 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:34:37 pm »

Yes.  I suppose.   I've  been put off that method since my last and only attempt over did it somewhat.  :sick:

IME, 10 seconds is inadequate, 12 secs is inadequate, 14 secs is showing a hint of melting, and 15 secs produces a puddle.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8920 on: 15 June, 2017, 02:45:09 pm »
Reduce the wattage and increase the time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8921 on: 15 June, 2017, 06:00:00 pm »

Because you have a cat . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

« Reply #8922 on: 15 June, 2017, 06:27:57 pm »
just leave the butter dish out all the time. If it's warm, apply to toast with a spoon.

ElyDave

« Reply #8923 on: 16 June, 2017, 01:17:37 am »
just arrived home in time to see the daily update e-mail, live

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8924 on: 16 June, 2017, 11:57:21 am »
It's construction season in Silly Oak.  This morning we've mostly had 85dBA of SDS drill from the other side of --->  this wall
...and now they've upped the game with a chainsaw and are killing one of the bastard sycamores to DETH.  The burglar alarms seem to have stopped though, so there's that.

Barakta, who is immune to such things, is still in bed, sleeping off yesterday's dentistry-induced migraine.  Git.

(And for anyone keeping track, no of course they haven't collected those festering binbags.)

ETA: Update: We now have seismic thumping.  My drink is shimmering in the traditional warning of approaching tyranosaurs.