Author Topic: Bike on Eurotunnel for £18  (Read 1680 times)

Re: Bike on Eurotunnel for £18
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2014, 01:37:48 pm »
Good find. Ta.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2014, 01:57:57 pm »

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2014, 05:09:32 pm »
Beware. Only twice a day, it's more expensive than the boats, you need to book  48 hours ahead. And you may not wish to be dropped where they leave you. Certainly you don't just rock up and buy a ticket. All in all, the boats are much more flexible.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2014, 08:01:03 pm »
An alternative option one could consider - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeOeZxWiryM I can see the makings of a new series of sub aqua Audax  :)
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2014, 09:31:13 am »
On the ferries is the bike lashed to a rail or something ?

I wouldnt like to imagine some heavy handed deck hand tieing mine on .Can you do this yourself?

« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:43:49 am »
Yes you can tie the bike yourself, in fact most times you have to as no one else will.

I have used both ferry and the tunnel method and find both to be okay but there are pros and cons with both. The tunnel method pick up and put down in convenient places for cycling but you  have only two set times to meet the minibus. The ferry gives you lots of time options and a more sedate trip but you have to navigate out of busy ports mixing it with large vehicles.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2014, 10:50:27 pm »
The ride on ferry with risk of being made flat from Calais to Dover cost me £20 last year, one way.  The cost would have been the same if I'd booked a round trip.  HK

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2014, 11:44:26 am »
I find one bungee per bike is the most effective

« Reply #9 on: 27 December, 2014, 01:11:37 pm »
Dover to Calais - equipped with a small grid of wheel bender stands, but you can tie up where it most suits you in the area you are directed to.
Dunkerque to Dover - tie up where it most suits you in the area you are directed to.

Leaving Calais port - absolutely no problems.  Head towards town at the first roundabout.
Entering Dunkerque - confusing to find the way in (first time) but little traffic and a nice terminal.

Entering Dover - follow the line.  No problems, but lots of security checks and so, 3 in all as I remember.
Leaving Dover - follow the line.  Very confusing in places, especially where you have to go through a "buzz to enter" pedestrian gate.

No problems with traffic inside the ports anywhere.   I've never used the train, and have only used these particular ferries a couple of times when heading to the north of France or into Belgium.  I always appreciate the flexibility of being able to turn up and go.

Useful car parking information - I found a b&b that charges £3.50 a day for secure parking, £3 a day if you have taken even just one night lodging with them.  Plenty of space, no problem with needing to be back on a particular day.  http://www.farthingloe-bb.co.uk/

« Reply #10 on: 27 December, 2014, 07:45:33 pm »
I once cycled London to Paris via Newhaven to Dieppe. Being a smaller port at both sides with basically just a small car park at each port, there's hardly any hassle navigating the ports. And from what I remember, Theyre both near towns for supplies and accommodation if you need it. Ferry gets you in at not the best time though...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2014, 08:18:39 pm »
I've done 3 different ferry crossings and Eurostar by bike (plus Shuttle in various cars), so merely a dabbler! But:

Seems to be the biggest factor is where you're starting from. Eurotunnel looks attractive only if you plan to drive to Folkestone (and park up for the duration), or if you live pretty near by.

North and/or West of London and Eurostar starts to look good.

If you're Hampshire-ish - or want to ride down thru that area - then Newhaven/Portsmouth ferries become attractive.

(and of course where you want to end up on the French side is a factor!)

Cost and times seems like the 2ry consideration, as there aren't huge differences (especially when you include e.g. a train ticket to Portsmouth/Folkestone from $somewhereInUK).

What do the veterans think of that?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 27 December, 2014, 09:10:19 pm »
Very close to the truth.

Dover and Calais are pains to ride to compared to smaller ferry ports but where you are coming from and going to are the major factors for us.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...