Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Knowledge / Re: Removing rounded off / seized hex bolts...
« Last post by Sergeant Pluck on Today at 10:01:52 pm »
OK.  Given that the stem have 5 rounded off hex bolts; I took the decision to hacksaw it off - bi-metal 24 tpi blade made short work.

That’s what I would have done, as I wouldn’t trust that fork given the demonstrated lack of mechanical sympathy, so would sacrifice it.

The chainstay bridge should be doable somehow, then all that remains to worry about is the rear caliper, the bolts of which the former owner has hopefully never touched, and the mudguard stay bolts. No bottle cages mounted so hopefully those bolts have been left alone two.

Then you will have a lovely frame for not much outlay.
Rides and Touring / Re: Twiteys II: the sequel
« Last post by Butterfly on Today at 10:01:06 pm »
I've pencilled it in too, but it depends on clarion's health and other issues.
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 09:48:05 pm »
I said that to Mrs ED the other day, it didn't go down well.

Just imagine a ride or TT around the M25, what fun
OT Knowledge / Re: Tipping builders
« Last post by Sergeant Pluck on Today at 09:44:01 pm »
Cheers Jurek.

Most bathroom installation firms, in the various quotes I obtained, seem to charge the customer about £1k per week per fitter. Presumably they are taking some of that, and of course the fitter will be taxed on the remainder. That wouldn’t go too far in London.

Tip wise, I was thinking along the lines of half a day’s pay, or half a day’s worth of what I am paying per day, £150, but wasn’t sure if that was a bit tight of me.

Over the past three decades, I have started 400s at most hours of the day. There isn't a big advantage for any particular start time with regards to driving home but finishing around 2-3am means I can nap at the finish before driving (or riding) home.

fine if you can finish at 3am, not so good for people who finish at 7 or 8am, because the control may close at 9. leaving sleeping outside or sleeping in the car.
Gallery / Re: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« Last post by IanDG on Today at 09:25:54 pm »
ready to start day 2 of the KAW, day 1 was Salisbury plain, and got a bit mucky, on reflection, a front rack is in this bike's future for better weight distribution

Sure LEE would have something to say about that photo

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61057.msg1895918#msg1895918

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=61057.msg1895973#msg1895973
The Knowledge / Re: Removing rounded off / seized hex bolts...
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Today at 09:23:25 pm »
Why seized, no grease?
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by JefO on Today at 09:15:48 pm »
Made a spoke ruler (from a plastic ruler) and mounted it vertically on my wheel truing stand. This transpired to be a good idea, because measuring spoke length is now very much easier, hands free, and is perfectly repeatable, also I cannot lose the spoke ruler when it gets used for measuring something else!

Had to repair my tensiometer too, and that now gives repeatable results much more readily (one of the pressure nodes was loose, so I replaced the press fit node with a machine screw, tube and nut).

The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 09:06:47 pm »
Almost all "solutions" that involve getting bikes off the road introduce new dangers.

Segregated lanes at roadside: used for parking, drains, drain covers, out of drivers' consciousness at junctions
Shared use paths: dogs, pedestrian morons, tree roots, ice
Cross-country paths: unsuitable surfaces, muggers

The road is almost always the best option and all these alternatives give drivers an excuse to behave worse towards xyclists.

Simple. Ban cars.

Bikes can then use the main roadway, and not be a problem for pedestrians...

J
Audax / Re: ACME - Suffolk Branch Audaxes 2024
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 09:05:53 pm »
These are tempting, but lowestoft is a long way away
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10