Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 373991 times)

Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #225 on: 23 January, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »
Really not worth giving them more than a moment's thought.

That thought being, "The outpatients are out in force again..."  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #226 on: 24 January, 2011, 09:25:06 am »
"Care in the community" innit.

Now who's going to tell us who is to blame for that ;D
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #227 on: 31 January, 2011, 02:05:12 pm »
Going round to Phil's house the other evening, I wasn't even on my bike, I was walking, and some random woman shouted out of the passenger seat of a car

"You're chicken little!"

WTF? 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #228 on: 31 January, 2011, 02:13:31 pm »
Cycling in anticipation of the ecopocalypse?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #229 on: 31 January, 2011, 02:20:30 pm »
Did you have a piece of sky on your head?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #230 on: 25 February, 2011, 03:19:26 pm »
New one today.

"Oi! Get a derailleur!"

Made me smile, he got a wave.

MartinGT

« Reply #231 on: 25 February, 2011, 03:24:03 pm »
New one today.

"Oi! Get a derailleur!"

Made me smile, he got a wave.

Is that when you noticed your rear mech hanging off  ;D

I got a beep last night, no idea why, probabley because I decided to cycle through the roadworks in the middle so any nob heads couldnt squeeze past me.  So I slowed traffic down for ooooooo 5mins?  The 3 cars immediatley behind me were fine, it was after that!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #232 on: 26 February, 2011, 11:17:27 am »
Is it surprising that after years of not being shouted at, I get a 'bent, and then get something most rides  ;D

« Reply #233 on: 26 February, 2011, 11:31:31 am »
Is it surprising that after years of not being shouted at, I get a 'bent, and then get something most rides  ;D

Many of my friends complain that I ignored them - just lost in the noise.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #234 on: 26 February, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »
Is it surprising that after years of not being shouted at, I get a 'bent, and then get something most rides  ;D

After three months off the 'bent, I took it for a short ride and realised I'd completely forgotten what it was like:  Being given room when overtaking.  Cheerful hootings-at while negotiating roundabouts.  WVM 'helpfully' stopping the traffic so I could pull out. Endless shouts of "Sick bike!" and "What the --?!?".  My left-hook spidey sense tingling, looking over my shoulder and realising that the car had matched speed mid-overtake so the passenger could get some decent footage with their iPhone.

After a while that all becomes normal, then you ride an upright and realise that they're slower than recumbents because of the extra power draw of the dynohub-powered cloaking device.

tonycollinet

« Reply #235 on: 26 February, 2011, 03:25:53 pm »
Must admit - I'm struggling to work out if the hooting is indeed cheerful or of the "what the hell are you doing with that on the road" variety. Not that I care much if it is the latter.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #236 on: 26 February, 2011, 03:31:42 pm »
Sometimes it's hard to tell, but sometimes it's shave-and-a-haircut or similar, and/or accompanied by a wave and a thumbs up, which I think is fairly unambiguous.  Unless they're deliberately trying to distract you at critical moments, of course.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #237 on: 26 February, 2011, 06:57:23 pm »
And yet recumbents are "So difficult to see".  It must be true, because every motorist tells me that.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #238 on: 26 February, 2011, 07:05:51 pm »
Must admit - I'm struggling to work out if the hooting is indeed cheerful or of the "what the hell are you doing with that on the road" variety. Not that I care much if it is the latter.

I borrowed mrs. jogler's Trice one day last week to fetch some shopping from the village(both cars were absent at the time).As I zoomed* back up the hill I was peeped at by a WVM.My almost synchronised look & middle digit display was quickly modiffied to something more hailfellowwellmet as I realised it was a social acquaintance in a vehicle not normally used by him ::-)

*there may be an element of exaggeration or economy with the truth or a blatant lie

« Reply #239 on: 26 February, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »
And yet recumbents are "So difficult to see".  It must be true, because every motorist tells me that.

It is annoying!!  Especially when many sports cars are lower than me, and my head- and taillights are higher than those on the sports cars.  I was just teasing a dude in a Lotus Elise on Thursday for being too low and needing a flag, he laughed.  No driver would think about saying that about a sports car, nor would hesitate to drive one in London traffic.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #240 on: 06 March, 2011, 03:15:00 pm »

tonycollinet

« Reply #241 on: 31 March, 2011, 08:20:46 pm »
I was impressed that the driver of a car in a queue of traffic going the other way this morning, took the trouble to wind down his window and lean out, so he could call me a dickhead.

Now I admit that  I was riding a recumbent trike, which might give the neuronically challenged some cause for concern, but what really intrigues me is what he gets from shouting a random and rather un-original insult, that makes it worth bothering.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #242 on: 31 March, 2011, 08:26:54 pm »
he gets the satisfaction known only to a dickhead

« Reply #243 on: 31 March, 2011, 09:54:31 pm »
Group of about 15 BMX lads on the local Sustrans path shout as I pass - "Hard core rider approaching with glasses". I just smiled as I blasted pass them at evens!  ;D
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #244 on: 31 March, 2011, 09:58:42 pm »
DO A SKID !

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #245 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:08:45 pm »
Group of about 15 BMX lads on the local Sustains path shout as I pass - "Hard core rider approaching with glasses". I just smiled as I blasted pass them at evens!  ;D

Evens on a Sustrans path is pretty hardcore...   :D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #246 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:15:51 pm »
Evens on a path!

Sorry.  Not right.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #247 on: 05 April, 2011, 09:42:40 am »
This guy in a Porsche shouting wanker.  Everyone seems to think it's at the car behind me, and that's entirely possible, but I'm slightly sceptical because I've had many hundreds of shouts of wanker because of riding a recumbent, and never once in that time heard one car driver shout that to another.

Edit for new version showing driver looking at me:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWnO0TQcUhc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SWnO0TQcUhc&rel=1</a>

« Reply #248 on: 05 April, 2011, 04:48:24 pm »
I've had many hundreds of shouts of wanker because of riding a recumbent

Any idea why? I'd've thought a more common reaction would be "WTF is that?".
The journey is always more important than the destination

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #249 on: 05 April, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »
Recumbents really bring the hate out.  Not just from car drivers but I suspect from a lot of cyclists too! I think people see a recumbent and think 'exhibitionist excentric tosser, has to be different, thinks he is clever does he etc etc'.  and 'obviously he is not like me at all'.
It irritates because it does attract attention. Given that being on the road is for a lot of people a deeply narcissistic experience with 'rules' about how one should be, the recumbent rider appeasr to breakl the rules in so many ways that he must be a wanker.
Plus - I often bash one out as I go along because it is easier when lying down so maybe they have a point.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird