Author Topic: Bastard wind!  (Read 4878 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bastard wind!
« Reply #25 on: 08 September, 2020, 11:38:05 am »
Anent the original question, I remember having a similar chat with a 'bent rider at the start of a PBP long ago.  He said that wind buffeting from traffic isn't so bad, but if it happened to go through a puddle when overtaking the splosh invariably landed on the crotch.

This is why I don't like riding the Baron in bad weather.  Rain is rain, but when you're low down you get splashed by every passing vehicle.  The ICE trike is similar, but has a stronger car-repellent effect.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #26 on: 08 September, 2020, 06:20:19 pm »
Some years of riding to work 'n' back, part of it on a quite un-sheltered road has given me a good comparison between my old hybrid and Ice Sprint. A crosswind which would have me feet off-course on the hybrid gets me inches off-course on the trike, with some pressure felt on the steering.
Riding in one or two named storm events has been mildly annoying (and lost a flag pole) but only caused worry about flying debris, not navigation.

« Reply #27 on: 10 September, 2020, 03:46:41 pm »
Reminds me that a velomobile rider said they really had to watch it in strong side winds but that strong headwinds didn’t really affect them much.

« Reply #28 on: 20 September, 2020, 03:08:25 pm »
I've not noticed any buffeting from wind whilst on the trike's, so I'd guess that it doesn't affect them much.

Last week when a lorry passed I personally got buffeted but it didn't affect the trikes handling even with panniers and a dog trailer  O:-),
whereas the upright cyclist in front came off! :o (He was uninjured but really pissed off >:( and a bit muddy).

The lorry gave plenty of space when passing, it was just the speed that caused the buffeting.

To his credit he stopped and walked back to see if the cyclist was OK.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #29 on: 20 September, 2020, 04:08:20 pm »
Reminds me that a velomobile rider said they really had to watch it in strong side winds but that strong headwinds didn’t really affect them much.
Depends on the velomobile.

My Milan is pretty much unaffected by any wind up till Beaufort 8-9.

Winds from 10 o’clock or 2 o’clock make me accelerate. Wind directly on the nose doesn’t make much difference to progress, tailwind is unnoticeable as the back is like a knife blade. Winds from 4 o’clock or 8 o’clock help a little.

The velomobile type DF can be tricky in side winds, as was my Versatile.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2020, 09:56:56 pm »
I notice it more on the CHR than the Bacchetta (Obviously)
Today across the fens was fun passing between the hedgerows.
Was a NE wind today and the speed doubled to mid/high  40s (kph) when directly behind.