Author Topic: Moulton Experiences?  (Read 20895 times)

Re: Moulton Experiences?
« Reply #125 on: 01 July, 2020, 06:30:18 pm »
The TSR rear dropouts are set at 132.5mm, so they can be used with 130mm and 135mm rear hubs. I guess the A8 is 135mm and so the dropouts need to be sprung out a little hence the tighter fit.

« Reply #126 on: 01 July, 2020, 08:45:07 pm »
Thank you.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #127 on: 02 July, 2020, 01:55:30 am »
….but I've already got a tensioner.....

IMHO it is best not to get in the habit of bolting stuff onto your bike just 'cause you have it.... especially not if it is solves a 'problem' that shouldn't really exist.

Shimano No-Turn Washers can be fitted either way round, typically tangs backwards when the chain is new, tangs forwards when the chain is older and the wheel is further forwards.

cheers

« Reply #128 on: 02 July, 2020, 06:53:23 am »
….but I've already got a tensioner.....

IMHO it is best not to get in the habit of bolting stuff onto your bike just 'cause you have it.... especially not if it is solves a 'problem' that shouldn't really exist.

Shimano No-Turn Washers can be fitted either way round, typically tangs backwards when the chain is new, tangs forwards when the chain is older and the wheel is further forwards.

cheers
I think I may recognise me in that first sentence  :)

« Reply #129 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:44:47 pm »
Well, I am really enjoying this TSR A8 with Bafang eleccy motor.
There was some argy-bargy with the pivot bolt fouling the motor during the fitting but the cable runs are good, the battery fits the rear rack and all seems well.

I am back to thinking about an off road version: APB with Shimano IGH and electric motor for muddy bridleways and towpaths. I'd like fattish tyres so which brake mounts should I be looking for on the frame and forks, please?

« Reply #130 on: 19 November, 2020, 08:30:45 pm »
APBs all came with canti bosses (wide-set) and generous clearances. There were differences as time went on though, so check carefully.  For example my APB has the bosses set low on the frame, such that the brake blocks are set higher in the brake arm slot than normal.  I can only conclude that the brakes must have been utter rubbish when the bike was new (with cantis on it), because the brake geometry is so odd that I can happily use full-size V brakes with short-pull (high MA) levers, which is a first for me.

cheers

« Reply #131 on: 19 November, 2020, 09:50:21 pm »
I use my ATB for off-road riding. It has an ARCC e-assist mainly for when it's in its tandem mode. Using it in solo mode the front wheel motor makes for all wheel drive, which is very effective on muddy hills  8)

« Reply #132 on: 20 November, 2020, 06:39:02 am »
I use my ATB for off-road riding. It has an ARCC e-assist mainly for when it's in its tandem mode. Using it in solo mode the front wheel motor makes for all wheel drive, which is very effective on muddy hills  8)
Thanks but I already have a mid drive motor although with problems of the pivot bolt clearance what you say makes good sense.

« Reply #133 on: 20 November, 2020, 06:41:52 am »
APBs all came with canti bosses (wide-set) and generous clearances. There were differences as time went on though, so check carefully.  For example my APB has the bosses set low on the frame, such that the brake blocks are set higher in the brake arm slot than normal.  I can only conclude that the brakes must have been utter rubbish when the bike was new (with cantis on it), because the brake geometry is so odd that I can happily use full-size V brakes with short-pull (high MA) levers, which is a first for me.

cheers

Thank you

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #134 on: 04 August, 2021, 08:59:40 am »
Currently running the TSR with a Sturmey-Archer AM (no relation) medium-ratio three-speed, which is rather nice as it's silent apart from the light ticking of the low gear pawls in two gears - no whirr of a derailleur.

Three things I found if fitting a SA hub:

1. Keeping an eye on chain tension is important because of the prodigious chain length.  It doesn't take much stretch before it can unship on bumps - an unusual problem to have on a hub geared bike.  As you would with a fixie, try to get the chainring centred on the crank spider.

2. The dropout slots are a bit short and this restricts the chainring/sprocket combinations that can be used.  Use a magic gear calculator as a starting point.

3. The rear gear cable stop on top of the chainstay is in just the wrong place for a SA hub, so you'll need a fulcrum clip (silly SA name for a clamp-on cable stop).

It is a bike that provokes reactions.  Kids and women think it's deeply cool.  Men of the Brexit-voting, van-driving, ilk shout homophobic slurs.  Other cyclists avoid eye contact.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.