Author Topic: RIP Melanie  (Read 1045 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
RIP Melanie
« on: 25 January, 2024, 12:40:30 pm »
I'll remember her mainly for the greatest cover of a Stones song ever recorded. Far superior to the original. Takes the song's inherent ridiculousness and dials it up to 11. Magnificent.

Melanie Safka - Ruby Tuesday
https://youtu.be/9alAuYr2g_8?si=7U_ijw_BJqd_NQqj
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jwo

Re: RIP Melanie
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2024, 01:48:31 pm »
Loved her unapologetic voice. One of my favourites: People in the Front Row in the fine tradition of breaking-the-fourth-wall songs

https://youtu.be/_N_ucgihNzk?si=QTHkWDacLGn34re

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2024, 02:00:25 pm »
I was listening to Candles in the Rain the day before yesterday, singing along in the car. I bought it when it came out. Still like it a lot.
I saw her at the Rainbow in about 1971. There was no PA at the beginning of her set (sack the sound engineer) so she played without for the first few numbers.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2024, 02:12:39 pm »
Loved her unapologetic voice.

Unapologetic is a great description!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2024, 02:20:48 pm »
'Ruby Tuesday' was a particular favourite, as was 'Save the Night'.

I also like 'What Have They Done to My Song Ma' and the version she did with Miley Cyrus was fab!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:22:55 pm »
I really liked her. She was a lot better than most people think as they only remember "What have they done to my song". She wrote some great songs and a had a unique voice.

https://youtu.be/eicXgvFJeSo?si=w8USkiOLTVasrS5I
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:43:11 pm »
She also inspired the Wurzels. But that's not really her fault.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2024, 09:26:12 pm »
I was never a big fan but I can claim to have been to her most unusual live performance.

In late 1983 (November, I think) she was on a European tour with a small band and was booked to play at the Royal Albert Hall. That was probably somewhat ambitious and ticket sales were so poor that the gig was cancelled. Unfortunately, no one thought to tell Melanie, who arrived in London all set to perform.

So, rather than sit in her hotel sulking, she put word out through the London folk clubs - one of which I was running at the time - that she would perform outside the Albert Hall instead. As I lived not too far away, I went along. About 100 other people turned up, gathering outside the main door. Melanie turned up, along with a couple of guitarists, and announced that she was going to play in front of the Albert Memorial, in the park opposite the hall. That's in Kensington Gardens, which was closed for the night. So we all climbed over the fence and she began to play. Before she had even finished the first song, a bunch of very aggressive police arrived and ordered us back out of the park, so we all climbed over the fence again.

Someone mentioned that there was an open space behind the Hall, so we went there and, for about 90 minutes, she and her two colleagues played the set that they would have played had the gig gone ahead. She obviously wasn't familiar with The Wurzels' version of Brand New Key and seemed rather bemused as we all sang the 'Oooh-Ars' but seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself and, after winding up with 'What Have They Done to My Song', stayed around for another hour or so chatting to fans and signing autographs.

It was a lovely thing to have experienced but, apart from a short report and photo (with me visible) in the following day's Daily Fail, it went largely un-noticed.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2024, 09:58:06 pm »
Lovely.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2024, 12:09:46 am »
Redlight - which club were you running in 1983?