Author Topic: Di2 - tweaking and fixing using the eTube app  (Read 3825 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Di2 - tweaking and fixing using the eTube app
« Reply #25 on: 13 November, 2020, 05:55:55 pm »
But sure, you've never had any of these happen, so it can never happen to anyone...

Yeah, it’s easy to invent scenarios where it might be useful.

I’m more concerned with what’s likely in real life. My real life, rather than anyone else’s.

It’s not something I consider likely to ever be useful enough *to me* to be worth shelling out £100 for a new battery. YMMV.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #26 on: 13 November, 2020, 06:00:46 pm »
As for synchro, again, I can't see a use for me, as I don't find the conventional operation problematic.

I’m basically an idiot and find operating two separate mechanisms quite taxing on the brain. Especially as they work in opposite directions. I would genuinely find Synchroshift useful.

It’s a bit like having the Garmin beep at me to tell me when to go round a corner - just one less thing to think about. Leaves me to spend more time enjoying the scenery.

I’m actually talking myself into upgrading the battery here.

« Reply #27 on: 13 November, 2020, 06:04:14 pm »
£94 from Decathlon  ;)

« Reply #28 on: 13 November, 2020, 10:39:09 pm »
Some thoughts from the more plebeian 8070 level(?)

- ultegra does have hidden shifter buttons

- the bar end/in frame charge port and button says Bluetooth enabled, BUT you still have to give someone 130 to get the aerial (or inline Bluetooth module)

- I have synchro shift set up. It doesn’t stop you using the shifters normally, but you can set it to stop you downshifting to big-big when the chain is a link too short. That’s 😌

- HF is right - perfect for winter as no cables to get draggy with dirt. Really needs to be disc brakes for this. No guards on that bike though...

« Reply #29 on: 13 November, 2020, 10:45:06 pm »
Oh, and I agree with HF - I think i still prefer cables for nice weather when the stuff just works with fine mechanical precision.

« Reply #30 on: 18 November, 2020, 07:32:36 pm »
Thanks for all the useful replies everyone  :thumbsup:

This site https://bettershifting.com/installation-guides/ was the best one I’ve seen so far for detail.

For what it’s worth, I find myself using the synchro shift all of the time (on 2 out of three bikes, third one is still mechanical) all very simple. Don’t forget - you can still use the left shifter to shift the front ring if you want to  ;)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #31 on: 19 November, 2020, 01:41:49 pm »
Di2 on winter bikes, you posh b'stards. Well jells innit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 19 November, 2020, 01:44:58 pm »

What's a winter bike?

My only change in winter is that I may fit the studded tyres. The rest of the bike is the same bike... It's only weather afterall...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #33 on: 19 November, 2020, 02:48:57 pm »

What's a winter bike?

My only change in winter is that I may fit the studded tyres. The rest of the bike is the same bike... It's only weather afterall...

J
I've previously had dedicated winter bikes as I'm so lazy with maintenance, but now I get out far less I'm taking the same approach as you (plus it would mean going from hydraulic discs to rim brakes!),  just got to remember to rinse the salt off each ride instead of instantly retreating towards the warmth!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

citoyen

« Reply #34 on: 19 November, 2020, 02:51:51 pm »
What's a winter bike?

An excuse for N+1 for those with the disposable income and suitable storage space.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 19 November, 2020, 02:56:34 pm »
I've previously had dedicated winter bikes as I'm so lazy with maintenance, but now I get out far less I'm taking the same approach as you (plus it would mean going from hydraulic discs to rim brakes!),  just got to remember to rinse the salt off each ride instead of instantly retreating towards the warmth!

I have one of those garden sprayer things, the ones where you pump it up with a handle, and it has a sprayer on a hose. Originally intended for spraying weedkiller and the like. I have one of these with clean water in it, so I can easily rinse the bike without needing to faff with anything like hoses. It really makes a difference.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 19 November, 2020, 03:32:14 pm »
I have one of those garden sprayer things, the ones where you pump it up with a handle, and it has a sprayer on a hose. Originally intended for spraying weedkiller and the like. I have one of these with clean water in it, so I can easily rinse the bike without needing to faff with anything like hoses. It really makes a difference.

I have one of those too. Works equally well on the dog after a muddy walk in the woods before letting him back in the house, though he's not a big fan. The bike puts up less resistance.