Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 851337 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5825 on: 09 September, 2020, 11:14:06 am »
Bought a new track pump. Previous Halfords track pump, now 15 years old, had been getting more and more reluctant to successfully inflate stuff. Binned it in a fit of pique after failing to inflate a tyre in time to go for a planned ride; ordered sparkly new one. That'll show it.

Then thought 'I wonder if I can repair it. New one's on the way, so if I destroy it in the process it's no biggie'. Retrieved it from the bin. 10 minutes on Google, and a further 5 minutes with pliers, a rag and WD40 and it appears to be working as well as ever. It would now seem that I am to be a two-pump household.

« Reply #5826 on: 10 September, 2020, 04:59:39 pm »
Great!  I like to fix not throw.

Today I bought a Topeak Barxtender cheap off ebay.  I needed to put my camera further out so I could see when it was recording or not. And I can put the gps cycle computer thing next to it.  Loads of them on ebay, all from China except the Topeak is from Taiwan.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5827 on: 10 September, 2020, 05:31:16 pm »
A metre of heavy duty marine fuel hose with hope that I can use it to repair the b0rked idler on my Streetmachine.   :-\

« Reply #5828 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:56:08 pm »
A small handlebar bag, to complement the enormous one I already have. The big one is ideal for carrying camera bits on a tour but also very effective at blocking any handlebar mounted light.

« Reply #5829 on: 03 October, 2020, 09:24:19 am »
Upgraded to a full-on smart turbo trainer to replace the semi-smart turbo that was the only thing available just before the last lockdown.  The semi-smart was a good experience and I hope the new one will be even better. 

« Reply #5830 on: 03 October, 2020, 09:30:46 am »
Not today, but over the last fortnight have bought a softshell jacket, 2x winter bibtights, 1x thermal bibknicks, 2x l/s jersey, 1x as jersey. All Endura fs260 pro sl, all at sale prices.

It is fantastic kit, and looks to be Rapha quality but at sensible prices. Endura have really upped their game. Wont suit everyone as it is race fit.

« Reply #5831 on: 03 October, 2020, 01:45:07 pm »
Last week: Shimano UN55 (English 68/110) bottom bracket.

« Reply #5832 on: 03 October, 2020, 01:55:38 pm »
Not today, but over the last fortnight have bought a softshell jacket, 2x winter bibtights, 1x thermal bibknicks, 2x l/s jersey, 1x as jersey. All Endura fs260 pro sl, all at sale prices.

It is fantastic kit, and looks to be Rapha quality but at sensible prices. Endura have really upped their game. Wont suit everyone as it is race fit.

I’m a fan of the fs260 kit as well, best shorts I’ve bought, and way cheaper than Assos. And the jerseys are a good fit for me. I’m losing weight atm, so have had to hold off buying new kit as I hope to drop from their L to M  8) so I’ll persevere with the ageing Assos (as in 15 years old!) kit for the time being.

I’ve bought some Northwave Arctic XC boots, and a couple of pairs of dhb merino mid-length socks. Plus some Shimano JA03 pads and a B&M Ixon rechargeable front light.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5833 on: 03 October, 2020, 02:16:36 pm »
How do the gel pads in the shorts work? I must admit to being a bit dubious about putting unbreatheable bits in shorts.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5834 on: 03 October, 2020, 05:35:00 pm »
How do the gel pads in the shorts work? I must admit to being a bit dubious about putting unbreatheable bits in shorts.

For me, very well. The gel parts are small - around 120 x 50mm on each side of the red pad that I have, so just under the sit bones with a gap between. TBH I never realised they were gel until your question prompted me to actively poke them, you certainly don’t feel perched on them. 

« Reply #5835 on: 03 October, 2020, 09:14:09 pm »
An IQ-XS from someone on LFGSS.

« Reply #5836 on: 17 October, 2020, 07:38:57 pm »
Ebay - Shimano cassette.. None of the usual retailer had it.
Seller says it was made in Japan, tracking says it's being sent from somewhere in China.

Big chain ring, Deore, no one has any in the UK. Being sent from Germany.

« Reply #5837 on: 24 October, 2020, 10:14:11 am »
Cassette arrived from China.

It's clearly marked 'Shimano Japan' so obviously the real deal, no?

« Reply #5838 on: 24 October, 2020, 11:58:22 am »
It could well be that Shimano contract out the manufacture of parts to China. Business is business, after all.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5839 on: 24 October, 2020, 01:18:07 pm »
It could well be that Shimano contract out the manufacture of parts to China. Business is business, after all.

Lots of Shimano stuff was marked made in China when I was buying stuff for the LBS

« Reply #5840 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:19:36 pm »
Thanks, it looks just like the LBS sold cassette I am replacing (except not worn out) .

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #5841 on: 03 November, 2020, 10:31:38 am »
Just bought a couple of these   https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ultra-sport-ii-road-tyre    , in pink, to celebrate TGH's Giro win.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #5842 on: 03 November, 2020, 12:52:11 pm »

Roubaix Long Sleeve Jersey.  Arrived yesterday. £39 plus postage.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5843 on: 03 November, 2020, 12:55:44 pm »
A several of headset bearings and a set of track rod ends from those nice people in Falmouth.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5844 on: 03 November, 2020, 04:11:05 pm »
Tubes, chain, mini pump, nuun tablets from Wiggle

Aero skewers for the TT bike off a guy on TTF
Aero stem for the TT bike off ProOwned

Both the latter in aid of #ProjectSub4

« Reply #5845 on: 11 November, 2020, 08:47:20 pm »
Some bib tights and a jersey for winter (the jersey being in Phanta-phriendly purple)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5846 on: 12 November, 2020, 01:02:13 am »
You've started wearing purple?  I shall call you Gogol Bor-Deano  ;D

« Reply #5847 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:00:30 pm »
Not today (actually a week ago) but a Tailfin rack and fittings for both the Dirty Disco (longer QR) and the Enigma (proper rack mounts) plus adaptors for non Tailfin panniers. I've got a pair of fairly new Ortliebs so it didn't make sense to buy theirs.
It wasn't altogether straightforward; I had an issue with the adaptors so Tailfin credited me for them and sent a replacement set. Marvelous service IMO.
The rack itself is great (I went for the X2 model,carbon arch, aluminium top) and it looks good on both bikes as well as being stable when loaded.
While it'll spend more time on the Enigma (my shopping bike) it's quick and easy to swap it over to the Disco.

Someone on here (I think it was QG) said that a longer mounting would be useful. I agree and I've asked them to let me know when it becomes available for the X2.
My touring bag is an Ortlieb rack pack that will overhang the rack top so a bit of extra length will be useful.

If it was easier to put pictures on here (and if I weren't having issues with flickr) I'd post some.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5848 on: 15 November, 2020, 10:34:02 am »
Bought a second flashlight bike adaptor after HK gave the first a thumbs up. Exactly like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164456550018

Also a Spoke Tension Meter app for my phone after reading http://savetheneurons.blogspot.com/2019/01/your-spoke-tension-meter-is-probably.html More accurate than physical tension meters (I have a couple of them in Oz, none here) and only a fiver suits me.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...