Author Topic: Oh FFS, now they've got it in for folders  (Read 3658 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Oh FFS, now they've got it in for folders
« on: 06 May, 2008, 01:59:28 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7372956.stm

A dangerous target though; yer average Brompton rider is probably richer and more influential than yer average POB.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Oh FFS, now they've got it in for folders
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2008, 02:05:04 pm »
What if each Brommie rider put his bike in a soft bag so it was out of sight? Would he/she incur the same wrath?
Pen Pusher

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2008, 02:14:47 pm »
Yes.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2008, 02:27:22 pm »
Tom's right.  It's got bog (danowicz*) all to do with the folding bikes and everything to do with overcrowded trains.

People on my branch of the Piccadilly line moan about passengers arriving at Heathrow with big suitcases ad trying ot travel with them into central London during the rush hour.

We need more trains, better equipped to carry bikes.

*gets coat...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2008, 04:55:49 pm »
It's the same mentality as traffic-jams.  Driver gets stuck in jam and complains (from their car)  that there too many cars on the road and would everyone else mind awfully F***ing off.

Same with Train passengers, only THEIR journey is important, they are not part of the problem.

Boris needs to impose a fine on trains that arrive into London without a storage van/compartment

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2008, 05:26:21 pm »
I wonder what happened to all those cycle vans - like the ones in the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kP1KxPjh4RM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kP1KxPjh4RM&rel=1</a>...?

Rotted away I guess  ::-).

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2008, 05:39:08 pm »
Tom's right.  It's got bog (danowicz*) all to do with the folding bikes and everything to do with overcrowded trains.

People on my branch of the Piccadilly line moan about passengers arriving at Heathrow with big suitcases ad trying ot travel with them into central London during the rush hour.

We need more trains, better equipped to carry bikes.

*gets coat...

To be fair, there do seem to be a lot of people with large suitcases who travel on the Tube in rush hour - not all of them can possibly have an urgent appointment to get to.

I can remember in Paris that there were signs on the Metro asking tourists not to travel during rush hour if at all possible - the same on the underground in Berlin and Moscow.  Why polite notices like that can't be put up here I don't know.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2008, 05:42:36 pm »
Hmmm

I love this attitude, I love it when I am forced to make a cycle reservation to use the crappy hang your bike up by the front wheel and smash it to bits storage compartment - and then I find it to be filled with a king sized wheeled suitcase and two snowboards...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:14:05 pm »
And I'm sure they love having to share just as much as we do.  There's just not enough space given to bulky stuff - the air-travel norm of one small carry-on bag or pariah status is being forced on rail passengers.  Why? My guess is simply that storage space isn't fare-paying (or subsidy-earning?) seat count. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2008, 10:35:05 am »
Because rail travel is no longer about providing a service as it was in BR days it i Targets are simply about making as much money as possible from the contact.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.