Author Topic: Aarrgh!! Is a Brompton really not suitable for me?  (Read 6142 times)

spammeplease

Aarrgh!! Is a Brompton really not suitable for me?
« on: 27 June, 2008, 09:51:18 am »
After lurking on this forum for a while, and armed with a list of options and accessories taken from all of the advice here, I turned up at a local folding bike retailer yesterday.  I explained my intended usage - a couple of times a week 8.5 mile ride on roads and cyclepaths to a rural station with a couple of light gradients and then a short blast from train to office at the other end.

When I said '8 and a bit miles', the assistant sucked in air through his teeth and gave me the definite impression that a Brommie was not suitable for me.  Undaunted though, I took an M6 out for a couple of spins, and could see what he meant -  it didn't really have a top gear for the cruise out to the station, but it did seem to have plenty of low ones for the crawl back up the hill to my house in Stroud.

So, what do I do?  He obviously had no interest in turning me off the idea, but was he right?  Should I get a cheapo road bike and lock it up at the station? Would the higher gearing mod be appropriate?  Or should my heart overrule my head an just say 'Dammit, I want one of those sexy little things and I'm going to have one regardless'?

I also had a look at all of the other folders (even an A-bike), and wasn't as attracted to any of the others.  It was such a disappointment, and the Cyclescheme ends on Monday....

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Aarrgh!! Is a Brompton really not suitable for me?
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2008, 09:56:30 am »
If you think the gears are too low (most take the contrary view), then upping the gearing can only help

Mrs LWaB and I have done over 200 km in a day on Brommies, a member of this parish rode the past PBP on his.  Are they the right choice for you?  Only you can say.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:00:05 am »
If an 86" gear isn't enough for you  :o there is an increased gearing option.

The 3-speed has almost the same top end as the 6-speed if you want to save a tiny bit of weight and a fair bit of complexity.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Fi

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:06:00 am »
I upped the gearing on mine as I was spinning out when I felt I needed speed.  I am hopeless on hills, but for mild terrain I find the bottom gear with the big ring on the front fine.  

If you wander round this bit of the forum, you will find tales of people using Brommies for lots of miles.  I don't go far on mine normally, but have happily done fifteen in one go on it.

You could lock something up at the station, but you've still got to deal with getting from the station to work and even cheapy bikes get nicked. Also you'll need to take bits off it like lights and pumps, or they won't be there when you get home; even saddles and wheels get pinched from bikes left at stations and you'll have to lug a lock around.

If you like the Brompton and it's comfy for you, then it will give you more pleasure per pound than a cheapie road bike you don't really want.  You might find yourself using it more than just for commuting. I know a chap who's an orchestral player, his Brompton goes all round the world with him so he can get out and about when not playing.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:09:25 am »
I always found mine (an old 3-speed) about right for whizzing about (13 miles to the station, 3 miles across London), but for longer rides I geared it down by putting a smaller chainring on. 

But then I'm a bit of a spinner.

Fi

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:11:11 am »
Bit of a spinner?  That is something of an understatement!

bikenerd

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2008, 10:32:40 am »
Does it have to be a Brommie?  Which other folding bikes did you see and not like?
Some of the other brands of folding bikes have a hub gear / derailleur combo, similar to the Brompton's 3x2 system on the 6 speed models but with a full 8 or 9 speed cassette, giving you 24 or 27 speeds with a large gear range.
I know Birdy do one, although it is pricey.

spammeplease

« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2008, 11:57:54 am »
Wow, thanks for all the replies - I'm just back from an hour long meeting that was nowhere near as productive.  As a bit of background: - I'm not a super keen cyclist, in fact I hardly ever ride at the mo, but I did cycle 30 miles in on National bike to work day last week, returning on the train with my mountain bike and just doing the 8 miles home.  I am concerned that I might not always be able to get on the 2 carriage shunter (limit 3 bikes) with my mtb, so thought about a folder to get around this.  I'm not unfit, am pretty tenacious and could probably do the distance whatever.

I like the advice that the standard gearing should be kept, and am minded to just do it anyway.  I did see pretty much all of the other main contenders (I was at AVC in Bath), the birdy was suggested by the assistant but I thought a bit pricey for me.

« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2008, 12:06:04 pm »
Given that last post, I'd suggest that maybe the Brompton could be a good bike after all.

My wife wasn't a superkeen cyclist (still isn't) and had very little experience.  She was able to ride her new Brompton on a good 50+ miles forum ride which included climbing up Cheddar Gorge.    We've also had 60+ mile days on day trips to France.

Bromptons aren't for everybody, but we've got the 6 speed ones (T6) and I love them.  I think they're great for most local journeys and handle just as well as my other bikes.   If I'm going to a meeting, or on a journey where I'll be on a train too, I always reach for the Brompton because I can fold it and keep it with me.

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2008, 12:16:33 pm »
She was able to ride her new Brompton on a good 50+ miles forum ride which included climbing up Cheddar Gorge.    We've also had 60+ mile days on day trips to France.

Bromptons aren't for everybody, but we've got the 6 speed ones (T6) and I love them.  I think they're great for most local journeys and handle just as well as my other bikes.   If I'm going to a meeting, or on a journey where I'll be on a train too, I always reach for the Brompton because I can fold it and keep it with me.

Well I wouldn't! Too much flex, expensive for what equipt you get. I much prefer my Dahon P-8 for that (50+ Mi in the hills) and for commuting (I don't fold the bike very often). It feels nimblers and sturdier, but I agree doesn' t fold as small.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2008, 09:24:50 am »

I'm guessing the assistant who told you it wouldn't be any good hasn't tried commuting 8 miles a day on a Brompton. It does feel different, but once you get used to it (after a couple of miles) you'll forget about that. I rode a 200k audax on a brommie with the standard 6-speed gearing last week, and there were only a few places where I would have liked slightly higher gears (I usually audax on my own T6 which has a speed drive).

You should get the Brompton :-) Join us!

I always seem to post the same thing here...

Duncan

spammeplease

« Reply #11 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:29:33 am »
Once again, thanks for all of the opinions - A decision has been made! - and it's 'No, thanks.'

There are a variety of cycling and non-cycling reasons for this, including: the 6-7 week lead-in time which would mean I was starting this experiment in late August; a change in my wife's work which may mean it is not so convenient; the shop assistant's opinion that 16 miles a day is high end for a Brommie (he is an owner, and was also prepared to lose a sale); the lack of a top gear; the flex in the bike which I found unnerving, but didn't recognise at first (thanks, Frenchie); and the realisation that what makes it fold so beautifully compromises its performance.

So, for now its to be mtb to the station and fight to get on the train and, sadly, probably car both ways through the winter.  I don't think this will be one of those missed opportunities that I will regret forever, but we will see.

Rollo

« Reply #12 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:55:05 am »
Stroud<-->Swindon?

The bike-parking at Stroud under the footbridge does look a bit sad with it's one or two broken bikes, but I think I'd be happy to leave a low-value bike there during the day when the station-people are about - they appear to run a tight ship.  I'd take lights and any easily removable bits off it though.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 30 June, 2008, 06:43:49 pm »
The lead time is a problem, and has been for years.  Some retailers keep the "key models" in stock, but you would have to get a black one.  Reports on the flexibility vary considerably - I'll be interested to see what happens when mine arrives, since I get ghost shifts and brake rub on a standard steel bike.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 30 June, 2008, 06:52:07 pm »
8.5 miles on a Brompton? No problem! Twice I've done 30+ mile rides without great difficulty, other than complete lack of fitness and i don't think it would have mattered what bike I was on in that case.

I think the only time I was worry about using a Brompton for that sort of distance would be if there was a steep downhill anywhere, because they are a bit twitchy. Here in Essex we tend not to have that problem.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:03:14 pm »
I think the only time I was worry about using a Brompton for that sort of distance would be if there was a steep downhill anywhere, because they are a bit twitchy. Here in Essex we tend not to have that problem.

I've only once felt unsafe going downhill on the Brompton, and I was doing over 50mph at the time...

LEE

« Reply #16 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:46:04 am »

My wife wasn't a superkeen cyclist (still isn't) and had very little experience.  She was able to ride her new Brompton on a good 50+ miles forum ride which included climbing up Cheddar Gorge.   

God help us if she gets keen

john28july

« Reply #17 on: 03 July, 2008, 09:17:12 am »
Once again, thanks for all of the opinions - A decision has been made! - and it's 'No, thanks.'

There are a variety of cycling and non-cycling reasons for this, including: the 6-7 week lead-in time which would mean I was starting this experiment in late August; a change in my wife's work which may mean it is not so convenient; the shop assistant's opinion that 16 miles a day is high end for a Brommie (he is an owner, and was also prepared to lose a sale); the lack of a top gear; the flex in the bike which I found unnerving, but didn't recognise at first (thanks, Frenchie); and the realisation that what makes it fold so beautifully compromises its performance.

So, for now its to be mtb to the station and fight to get on the train and, sadly, probably car both ways through the winter.  I don't think this will be one of those missed opportunities that I will regret forever, but we will see.

Hello,
As a sometime customer of AVC Bath I am amazed at your story! First of all a Brompton is absolutely suited to a measly 8 mile hike. Secondly the shop sales assistant is talking rubbish and will be reported to Richard and Gary who own the business.
The Brompton is the best in my opinion and as such I feel that you have been misled by the sales assistant. A rider can ride a Brompton all day long and if you feel that you personally cannot, then that is a different reason indeed.But overall I think that maybe you were just talking about something with little intention of actually doing?
I will let the owners know of this at the first available opportunity as the shop has been let down badly by this ass-istant! Do you recall this persons name? No? Well well...
John.

spammeplease

« Reply #18 on: 03 July, 2008, 01:58:27 pm »
Someone help me out here, is this guy what I think he is?

The sales assistant (who's name I do know) gave me the impression that he and his employers would rather lose a sale then sell someone something unsuited to them or their particular need.  That, to me, is a really good employee, and I will certainly be a customer there in the future.

Your opinions and contributions to the debate have been duly noted for what they are.

john28july

« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2008, 02:04:12 pm »
Someone help me out here, is this guy what I think he is?

Hello,
I am the 'guy' you question. No I am not what you think I am!

The sales assistant (who's name I do know) gave me the impression that he and his employers would rather lose a sale then sell someone something unsuited to them or their particular need.  That, to me, is a really good employee, and I will certainly be a customer there in the future.
The employee you mention is not telling the truth as a Brompton is more than suited to 8 mile rides.

Your opinions and contributions to the debate have been duly noted for what they are.
They are what they were meant to be, an op[inion of this stiry. An opinion of what 'appears' to be a story about a shop that sells Bromptons, saying they are not suitable for 8  ile rides as mentioned earlier.
I do know Richard  and Gary who are the owners of Avon Valley Cyclery in Bath. I have emailed a message regarding this story, to them.
Make what you wish of this, but I can certainly assure you (a newbie to folders) that I am no troll-there I said it, I can read your mind.
Have a great day.
John.