Author Topic: More Brompton fettling (lots of pictures)  (Read 13871 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
More Brompton fettling (lots of pictures)
« on: 22 July, 2008, 06:50:21 pm »
A bit more practical now.  The rear wheel has been completely dismantled and rebuilt.

B&M IQ Fly with quick release (you'll see why later)

The SON-XS front wheel I built a few weeks ago

Suspension?  We don't need no steenkin' suspension!

We don't need no steenkin' punctures either

Dinky bar ends make all the difference

Not sure the Brommie rear light is high enough to be legal, but it doesn't interfere with folding.  The "rattlers" have been turned around, but they still regularly get clipped by my heels.  I need to find some low-profile replacements.

And this is why you need the QR for the headlight

Obligatory origami shot.  Bottle bosses on the rear of the stem

Bar ends slot in either side of the front wheel.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: More Brompton fettling (lots of pictures)
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:46:20 pm »
Ah, now I get you about the jubilee clips!  I might do that.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:50:37 pm »
Ah, now I get you about the jubilee clips!  I might do that.
Try and get stainless ones, for obvious reasons.  The Halfords ones are just zinc plated, I think.

« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:53:08 pm »
Of course if you ever wanted to use the Brompton carrier at night you'd be buggered.

It does look like the block would just fit behind the light when the light was up, and you could fold it down to fit a bag during the day.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:11:37 pm »
I have no intention of ever putting luggage on it (I even took the rack off my tourer!).  Courier bags suit me better.

It's unfortunate for the mass market that no-one makes an LED dynamo headlamp which simply fits under the luggage block.  A Supernova E3 *might*, with a custom-made mount, and the new Schmidt Edelux is a possibility if it's the same size as the old E6.  Both are spectacularly expensive though.

« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:20:18 pm »
I have no intention of ever putting luggage on it (I even took the rack off my tourer!).  Courier bags suit me better.

It's unfortunate for the mass market that no-one makes an LED dynamo headlamp which simply fits under the luggage block.  A Supernova E3 *might*, with a custom-made mount, and the new Schmidt Edelux is a possibility if it's the same size as the old E6.  Both are spectacularly expensive though.

This any help?

Edelux.
Don't ask.

rogerzilla

« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »
Yep, that would fit.  How much do they sell them for (sits down)?

« Reply #7 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:24:09 pm »
£95

Got mine from SJS about a month ago.

I still haven't got a wheel for it yet.  ::-)
Don't ask.

« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:31:47 pm »
Top fettling, RZ.  :)

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:17:59 pm »
£95

That's not bad compared to the E3 (more like £130), considering it's basically an IQ Fly in a better package.  The optics are the same, so you're paying another £35 for better heatsinking and a less plasticky housing.

« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2008, 11:03:41 pm »
£95

That's not bad compared to the E3 (more like £130), considering it's basically an IQ Fly in a better package.  The optics are the same, so you're paying another £35 for better heatsinking and a less plasticky housing.

Mine's cheaper.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2008, 11:30:46 am »

It's unfortunate for the mass market that no-one makes an LED dynamo headlamp which simply fits under the luggage block.

I used to use a dynamo light mounted on the bars.  Mine has a slightly unusual bar arrangement, which means that it folds so that a forward-facing lamp on the bars won't stick out.

Fettling Hannibal

I always worried about the visibility in traffic of a low-mounted light.

« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2008, 12:24:53 pm »
I always worried about the visibility in traffic of a low-mounted light.

Me too. I have a tiny blinking LED thing that I attach to the bars in addition when I'm riding around town (and have remembered it...)

« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2008, 10:34:38 am »
For your next fettle.......

The "Easy Wheels!"

Much thinner cutting out the feet and rear roller interface.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 02 August, 2008, 11:19:30 am »
I think they're only for the R models with a rack.  I'm trying to get some aftermarket ones on *bay.

Incidentally, if you change the tyre size on a Brompton you have to adjust the lower stop disc, because it sits on the ground slightly differently.  I couldn't work out why the seatpost wouldn't go right in...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 03 August, 2008, 06:54:47 am »
The Ezy-wheels will fit on a rackless Brompton (obviously 2 only).  The Steve Parry trolley wheels are narrower.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2008, 09:26:40 pm »
I have a rear LED at the top of the seat pillar, just under the saddle.  It doesn't affect the folded size much.  Nearer drivers' eyeline, but at risk of being obscured by jackets or the pouch for the bike cover.

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2008, 05:32:30 pm »
New - er - white trolley wheels fitted (no heel clashes though!), headset stripped and refilled with loose balls and Park grease, although whoever built this one had used plenty of grease, as it turned out.  This has eliminated the disconcerting "clunk" when coming to a stop, which appeared after the first 50 miles - I think they need a better headset press at the factory, because the cups must have settled.

I now have an oil lubricator in the shell of the spare SA hub, and tonight I'll put it back together.  The labyrinth seals are identical to the old AW so it will be just as oil-tight* as those were.

*i.e. it will leak all over the spokes - apparently the secret is to put no more than 2 teaspoons in when assembling, and then literally a drop or two every month, just to keep up with the seepage.  Most people pour it in until they can see it running out...

rogerzilla

« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2008, 09:43:49 pm »
Update: the hub is back together, with no parts left over, and it works  :D  I injected 5ml of Redline MT90 synthetic gear oil, left over from doing the car, through the new lubricator and it sounds lovely.

The only fly in the ointment is that it's going to need respacing for the Brompton - Mercs are obviously wider between their dropouts, and there's also not enough overhang outside the wheel nut on the drive side at the moment (I can sort it by leaving out all the washers and spacers like Brompton do).  This hub  has a slightly longer axle on the left, and there's going to be a bit more sticking out past the wheel nut than on the OEM hub, but that's of no real consequence and doesn't interfere with folding.  At least I found out before I built the wheel and dished it all wrong  :)

rootes

« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2008, 04:38:18 pm »
I think they're only for the R models with a rack.  I'm trying to get some aftermarket ones on *bay.

Incidentally, if you change the tyre size on a Brompton you have to adjust the lower stop disc, because it sits on the ground slightly differently.  I couldn't work out why the seatpost wouldn't go right in...

I fitted two if the easy wheels to my brommie and i do not have a rack fitted - fitted fine just need to use the M6 ones and not the m5 ones..

also need to include a couple of washers between the easy wheel and the std rattler mount otherwise they bind

I also need my headset replaced and it is index in the forward position... with a modified stem and steerer you could use an ahead style of headset which wul dbe easy to keep adjusted

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 03 September, 2008, 04:40:07 pm »
One of the wheels fell off mine and is lost :(

(the rack ones)

rogerzilla

« Reply #21 on: 03 September, 2008, 06:35:06 pm »
 ;D

/adds Brompton wheels to the For Sale list

No bolts, but you can get them from a fastener suppliers.  I think they're M6 stainless.

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 03 September, 2008, 06:37:31 pm »
Bolts are fine

« Reply #23 on: 04 September, 2008, 06:56:20 pm »
Chandlers sell stainless hose clips.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2008, 09:32:46 pm »
I've bought myself a nice green Birdy elastomer block from Bikefix to fit to my shiny new Brompton S2L when it arrives.

It's the first time I've upgraded a bike I haven't got yet... worrying... but I thought that since I'm a heavy feller, I might as well get the block in advance.

Anyway, any experiences with using the green Birdy elastomer instead of the hose clips? It's apparently harder than the standard Brompton rubber thingy.
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336