Author Topic: FNRTTC  (Read 36652 times)

Re: FNRTTC
« Reply #125 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:53:27 am »

Notsototalnewbie stopping at the red light just before Rotherhide Tunnel.  I was about to introduce myself when the lights went green and she set off with a smell of burning rubber.  I struggled to keep up.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you were about to introduce yourself! As we were still in London, I had the London commuter mentality going on, ie 'go go go!' I'm sorry I never got to talk to you more though - next time!

I am considering Brighton, it will depend upon when it happens and how fit I am feeling at the time.

After some people's 'constructive criticism' of my Globe commuter (in the nicest possible way!) I have started a vague hankering after something more suitable for longer/hillier rides, despite the fact that I have neither the space nor, really, the money for this kind of thing! You see what you people do!?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #126 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:57:57 am »
n+1  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #127 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:12:21 am »
n+1  :D

Argh!

I live in a studio flat. I finally sorted out the messy bike situation by getting a gravity stand, with the bloke's bike hung above mine, and look what you lot have done.

Unless a bike lived in the bath. You don't really *need* a bath, do you?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #128 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:20:06 am »
What's a bedroom for, if not storing bikes? ???

'sides - there's nowt wrong with a Globe :)
Getting there...

bikenerd

« Reply #129 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:25:00 am »
A Pashley Moulton TSR would be perfect, if you get the separable model.  They split in two and take up hardly any room to store.  Under the stairs or in a cupboard, they'll fit.  And they're great for long rides, the suspension soaks up all the road buzz.
Here's a link: TSR loveliness.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #130 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:29:13 am »
Posting links to Moultons?  Are you sure that's Work Safe? ;D
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #131 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:51:08 am »
Filth, pure filth  :D

If you're talking folding loveliness, NSTN, did you know you can now store a trike under your bed?

::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #132 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:54:51 am »
Stop it!  I'll go blind! ;D
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #133 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:03:00 am »
Filth, pure filth  :D

If you're talking folding loveliness, NSTN, did you know you can now store a trike under your bed?

::-)

Have you seen the new shell that goes over a standard trike though?
:P clicky :P
It won't fit in a studio flat though, you'll just have to get a bigger place!

Rich.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #134 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:03:51 am »
That is dirty.  I want one.  Now.  :demon:

And I don't even have a trike yet.  :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #135 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:11:10 am »
You are all very bad people. I was thinking a secondhand tourer or somesuch!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #136 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:12:28 am »
Um...on that subject...what size bike do you ride?
Getting there...

« Reply #137 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:14:31 am »
That is dirty.  I want one.  Now.  :demon:

And I don't even have a trike yet.  :-\

OMG I'm blind, I'm blind!!!  I want one I want one I wanna wanna wanna!!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #138 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:22:55 am »
No good can come of this... ::-)

The Globe is 57cm with a fair bit of seatpost showing (man's version). I rode a 59 but it felt much too big. I am 5'9".

Someone who's name I do not remember commented that I was 'quite high up there!'

bikenerd

« Reply #139 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:37:54 am »
Someone who's name I do not remember commented that I was 'quite high up there!'

Were they on a trike? :)
Dahon have started making separable 20" wheel bikes as well.  The Dahon Smooth Hound.  Retro loveliness!  Cheaper than a Moulton but no suspension.

« Reply #140 on: 21 April, 2008, 12:19:28 pm »

I rode the 2005 Dunwich Dynamo on a very very chunky tyred MTB having crashed the best bike heavily on the way to the start.  And that ride's a lot further, and without the "stick with the last rider" mentality that we will have tonight.

He very nearly didn't ride it!

;D ;D   I'd forgotten that incident at the start.

Let's just say that it was a miracle I got to the end ;D

« Reply #141 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:49:40 pm »

The Globe is 57cm with a fair bit of seatpost showing (man's version). I rode a 59 but it felt much too big. I am 5'9".

I'm 6'2" and ride a 61-62cm frame, so you must have very long legs! Everyone's frames sizes are pure fiction though!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #142 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:55:36 pm »

I'm 6'2" and ride a 61-62cm frame, so you must have very long legs! Everyone's frames sizes are pure fiction though!

I think girlies have longer legs for their height. I was on 55-56cm frames and am 5ft 5½ tall.

I've passed my bikes on to my 5ft 10in partner who has only put the saddles up 3cm.

Dave

« Reply #143 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:09:47 pm »
And the next FNRttC will be on 16th May :thumbsup:

« Reply #144 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:53:19 pm »

I'm in  :)

Here's an udder  :D

Edit - Is it time to start a May 16th FNRttC thread?

« Reply #145 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:56:13 pm »

I'm in  :)

Here's an udder  :D
Just don't make a tit of yourself!

I'm in too.

Edit in reply to Jureks edit: yes it is.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #146 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:27:57 pm »
It is indeed, it is to Brighton, and I should be catering

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #147 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:32:36 pm »

I think girlies have longer legs for their height. I was on 55-56cm frames and am 5ft 5½ tall.

I've passed my bikes on to my 5ft 10in partner who has only put the saddles up 3cm.

My most recent (and the only non secondhand bike I own. not surprisingly given the cost) is a Roberts and they told me when measuring me up that it's not always true that women have longer legs in relation to overall height and definitely wasn't for me- I've got tiny litttle short legs and a long body (well as long as it can be with what's left over after you take leg length off 5'2").  However, a 3 week tour in the Scottish Highlands and i realised the Roberts crew were right.  I had been riding frames far too big for me for years and just puttting up with the aches and pains they gave me from the overstretch-  it's much better to get the frame size right even if you think it looks a bit small and set your saddle high to get the leg stretch right if you are planning to spend lots of time on your bike.
     Jane

« Reply #148 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:38:47 pm »
My most recent (and the only non secondhand bike I own. not surprisingly given the cost) is a Roberts and they told me when measuring me up that it's not always true that women have longer legs in relation to overall height...

On average women do have longer legs, and shorter torsos than men, however that doesn't mean that you don't get long legged men, and short legged women.  They are just less likely.

This does mean that since most off the peg frames are designed for average body shapes, a frame intended for a woman ought to have a shorter reach for the same frame "size" as a mans.  Of course, since there are a lot more "mens" frames out there, than womens, women often end up compromising with that sort of frame shape.  If your proportion are more "average man"-wise, that's probably an advantage, unless you're small as well, since men tend to be larger... on average!

Of course, in a ideal world, we all get custom frames made. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #149 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:51:53 am »
I think I do have longish legs, I can't buy trousers or jeans unless they are in the 'tall' section of whatever high street shop.

The 59 frame I rode felt really wrong, like the bars were miles away.