Author Topic: 16th October: FNRttS (Oxford to London night ride) final edition for 2009  (Read 20066 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: 16th October: FNRttS (Oxford to London night ride) final edition for 2009
« Reply #125 on: 17 October, 2009, 07:48:47 pm »
Steve, with his small city LED light was fastest down most of the hill  :o Scary.
The drop into Hughenden Valley is a bit special, isn't it?  I did wonder about the Bromptoneer going down there, since those little rims overheat rather quickly.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #126 on: 17 October, 2009, 07:58:34 pm »
No, he had discs !
He's got a new Kona Dew Drop and he was fastest down all the hills including the one under the railway bridge that was flooded when we did it.
I hung back here, expecting to get wet again  ;)

« Reply #127 on: 17 October, 2009, 08:19:59 pm »
I am not good at flowery ride reports so I will just add some of my best memories and you can fill in the gaps.

It was bloody cold.  I left Oare slowly as I did not want to overheat. I was wearing my Endura Baa Baa merino base layer with my YACF winter top on.  I wore that alll the way to Oxford.  Roger's route was sublime.  So flat, lovely.
Met Chocaletbike at the station and then had to blag the cleaner to open the disabled loo for me "we are not supposed to you know"  ::-)
Everyone else rocked up and we left.  I was first to stop, just down the road to put my Gore gillet on over my YACF top.
Just before the Mini plant I noticed my GPS had gone nuts.  It was really bugging me so I forced us all to stop again while I changed batteries and all was good.
Got up Smalldean Lane.  Got warm doing it so that was ace.
Lovely rest at Roadrunners - thanks mate.
Kept getting sucked into a lovely rhythm but I was not trying to do so, just trying to get my fit heart rate above resting so the blood would pump around my body to warm me up  ;D
Gave in eventually, stopped again and put the final layer on - my Goretex.
Learnt all about Bruce Dickenson from our very own Teethgrinder  :thumbsup:
At London we found an ace cafe with a really friendly owner and I devoured a special - including black pudding.  Tops  :thumbsup:
Left with Kcass to see if he could upload a track for me to go home via rather than reverse the route I had come in on.
Went to Notting Hill and Portebello Road as a result. 
But all his hard work was wasted as I could not get it to work once I left his house.  I fumbled around Notting Hill for a bit, loop after loop waiting for inspiration and then I realised I could ask my GPS to take me home.
It did so, via Uxbridge, and the A4 to Slough, Maiden Head and Reading then Newbury.  I did not mind really as at least I knew where I was.
Jaded was keeping me company via text and keeping me sane.
My favourite of his replies was "Well at least you are not in Kent" !!!  ;D ;D ;D
At Hungerford I stopped for a double Movenpick, Strawberry and Swiss Chocolate.  Well earned.

Summary - cold cold cold,
great ride with new friends
had fun with GPS
got some good miles in.

rogerzilla

« Reply #128 on: 17 October, 2009, 08:36:33 pm »
So...how many miles?

Now we know there's a caff - no more crusty rolls from Paddington  :thumbsup:

« Reply #129 on: 17 October, 2009, 08:45:05 pm »
Cafe opens at 0530 too.

195 miles all up.  That does not include the ones I lost when the GPS was not recording either  ;D

I have just been checking and I know where Kcass's route should have sent me now.  I can make this into a London to Pewsey route easily - and once I have tracked it I will test it and see just how flat it is.  The A4 is generally in a really bad condition.  The other benefit of Kcass' route is it gets away from the traffic light system more quickly than the one I followed.

« Reply #130 on: 17 October, 2009, 09:16:42 pm »
Met Chocaletbike at the station and then had to blag the cleaner to open the disabled loo for me "we are not supposed to you know"  ::-)

Can I point out that Grub wanted the toilet for his own, exclusive use ?
Just wanted to say that.

rogerzilla

« Reply #131 on: 17 October, 2009, 09:24:46 pm »
It must have been the excitement of meeting you  ;D

« Reply #132 on: 17 October, 2009, 09:40:47 pm »
It must have been the excitement of meeting you  ;D

:hand:
Mind bleach or pictures of kittens needed.
Quickly  :o

« Reply #133 on: 18 October, 2009, 07:15:44 am »
What a lovely ride that was -  my first night ride. Even the drunks were friendly.

Thanks to everyone that took part for the company, and especially to Roadrunner for being up at 3am with plentiful supplies of tea, coffee, toast (wholemeal), muffins and crumpet. What a star.

Sorry to hear the gps didn't work on the way home Grub and well done on doing 3x the riding I did  :P

Rogerzilla - thanks for organising it all. Shame you couldn't make it. Hopefully we'll meet next time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #134 on: 18 October, 2009, 10:03:02 am »
Well done all, and well done Grub - I was reckoning from your texts that you'd do 300km.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #135 on: 18 October, 2009, 10:46:17 am »
You know I like challenging myself.  Sleep deprivation and riding a bike is a challenge.  The only problem is damage to the bike.  I notice that when I got really weary that I didn't actually care what I hit  ::-)
I was not low on blood sugar - that was fine all the way through.  What I was low on was caring any more.  ;D
I just wanted to curl up somewhere remotely wind free and away from the ground and sleep.
Having had the joy of riding with Paul D, Chris N and the venerable John Spooner I have learnt the joys of bus stops benches and secluded benches.  I was riding along and when the weariness really started to scare me I knew I had to stop.  Luckily I was on very familiar territory being only 5 miles or so from home so I knew where a top notch 'Spooner Star Standard" bus stop was located.  Half an hour was all I needed to enable me to get back onto the bike and make it home.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #136 on: 18 October, 2009, 12:37:26 pm »
Some belated thoughts from me, as I ended up being rather busy yesterday, doing other stuff.

I've done the Thame to Oxford section few times now, and in fact Rogerzilla's route mirrors what I'd previously worked out, so it must be good!

It wasn't too cold really, so I only had a thin jersey + armwarmers under my jacket and fingerless mitts.  Setting off through Oxford, it was surprising seeing how many people were on bikes - and most of them seemed to have some sort of lights (even if a few of them were the green blinky sort, including one chap using that as a rear light).

Once we got out of Oxford, you could really appreciate the stars which were twinkling away.  In some ways it was a shame we were a fast group, as there wasn't really any opportunity to stop and gaze upwards.  In Horspath, there was the first indication of dissent amongst the gps users, as one track was indicating us to go up Gidley Way.  That way's great for going to Oxford as it's a steep downhill, but it's a bit of a hike uphill.  The way we went, although longer, is less steep.  As Grub mentioned above, he then had to sort out his gps, but all seemed well in Wheatley.  

Going through Thame, unlike previous occasions , there didn't seem to be any rowdy troublemakers, which was nice.  Not so nice was the fact my batteries suddenly died.  With hindsight, I'd realised I hadn't done a deep discharge and charge, only a top up charge, which clearly hadn't been enough, so it was my own fault. I switched them back to the set I'd been using for the ride up to Oxford, but it meant I couldn't use the eye searing setting.

On the road to Chinnor, I commented that it seemed longer at night.  Of course the reason is that it's slightly uphill, and during the day, I've normally gone the other way.  We didn't see Matt hanging around anywhere in Chinnor (and we didn't have his number), so we pressed on.  I ended up walking up Chinnor Lane and Smalldean Lane as expected.  ::-)

We were making good time when we rolled up at road-runner's house, where his never ending supply of tea, coffee, toast, crumpets and other things was very much appreciated.  I was quite amazed at Matt finding us, and I had images of him peering through any lit up house, checking to see if it was the right one!

I put on my full length gloves once we set off, but couldn't resist chuckling if Grub was in front of me and was indicating or pointing out hazards, as he had lobster type gloves on.  ;D

In Chalfont St Peter, my chain managed to get itself well & truly mangled round the rear dérailleur, after initially coming off the front, so we had a short stop to sort that out, although thankfully no damage done.

After passing the M25, that was just about the end of the countryside, and then we were generally following the signs for the West End.  I could remember the way, so could shout out corrections for those following their gps devices.  ::-) :P

For the final part, we weren't rushing, as we knew the scheduled café wasn't scheduled to open until 6.30 am.  However, before then, when passing through Acton I spotted an open café, and shouted out for the others to stop, and we all piled into Café Paolo's, which seemed to have every variant of a cooked breakfast that you could wish for.

Once fully refuelled, I set off with Matt towards Paddington Station.  One obstacle we had to avoid was loads of horse poop and near Lancaster Gate we went past at least 15 riders who were each leading a spare horse, so that explained the volume of stuff on the road.  After leaving Matt, I decided to stick to my original idea of riding home, and just followed the signs for the A5, basically all the way home, so ended up doing 142 miles in total.

So good fun all round despite Rogerzilla not being there, and nice to meet (or see again) some other yacfers.  And thanks again to road-runner for his hospitality.  

Oh, and Grub you utter ******* for mentioning the number plate game.  No matter how hard I looked on the way home, I couldn't find a "1" to start me off.  Lots of 2 - 5 plates though.   Grrr.   :P
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #137 on: 18 October, 2009, 12:52:55 pm »
Ha ha ha.  You in the city will breeze it I reckon once you get off the mark.
You will pass my 24 easily.

« Reply #138 on: 18 October, 2009, 02:29:09 pm »
I just wanted to curl up somewhere remotely wind free and away from the ground and sleep.
Having had the joy of riding with Paul D, Chris N and the venerable John Spooner I have learnt the joys of bus stops benches and secluded benches.  I was riding along and when the weariness really started to scare me I knew I had to stop.  Luckily I was on very familiar territory being only 5 miles or so from home so I knew where a top notch 'Spooner Star Standard" bus stop was located.  Half an hour was all I needed to enable me to get back onto the bike and make it home.

I was tired for most of the ride. I cycled home from the cafe up Edgware road and the old A5 through St Albans and Redbourn, where I went into the lanes.
I just dawdled home and spent about two hours in a coffee shop in Radlett dozing and drinking coffee. Coffee shops are very good for a doze. Nice comfy chairs and nice and warm. Plus you have a stonking great coffee to give you some caffeine too, so a double booster to help you stay awake. I try not to waituntill I get too dozy. Cycling when sleepy is bad news and much less fun.
Then I also visited the cafe at Ashridge in the North Chilterns and had another doze and some tea, before dawdling home. I didn't get home untill about 1600,but it was a nice easy ride from London and I had no need to rush. IfI wasn't so tired, I'd have just cycled a bit faster and further. Just a fun day (and night) out on the bike.

rogerzilla

« Reply #139 on: 18 October, 2009, 02:46:29 pm »
Yebbut how many cakes/crumpets/slices of toast did you manage, TG?

« Reply #140 on: 18 October, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »
Yebbut how many cakes/crumpets/slices of toast did you manage, TG?

As a rule, I stop counting after 5.

rogerzilla

« Reply #141 on: 18 October, 2009, 03:21:14 pm »
As a rule, I stop counting after 5

It's probably best for your self-esteem  ;)

« Reply #142 on: 22 October, 2009, 06:55:58 am »
I put up a few more words and a couple of pictures on my blog Clicky

« Reply #143 on: 22 October, 2009, 08:47:24 pm »
I put up a few more words and a couple of pictures on my blog Clicky

I see blue tyre flies  ;D ;D

« Reply #144 on: 25 October, 2009, 09:26:18 am »
Dear all FNRTTC riders,
I will not be meeting you all this Friday. 
I had to work yesterday and I am rather tired.  I have a really busy week ahead and I will not be rested enough to do a big ride overnight without sleep.  So rather than kill myself trying I have decided that this time is not right.
I have this event firmly in my calendar mind so one day I will be there - I'm sure of it.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #145 on: 25 October, 2009, 08:36:55 pm »
You must be tired, as you should have posted it over there;)

Another time.

Pick & mix from next year's list.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #146 on: 25 October, 2009, 08:59:33 pm »
Doh !!
I fixed that for me  ;D