Saturday 31st August
1 (12.5%)
another date (please specify)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: 30 July, 2013, 10:27:15 pm

Linked Events

• Don't Keep to the Road from Yarm: 17 August, 2013

Author Topic: (Don't) Keep to the Road 2013: North York Moors Ride from Yarm, 17/08/13  (Read 4803 times)

or: Saturday afternoon ride to Beck Hole

I did suggest this to a couple of people on the FNRtTH - a saunter out to the famous, tiny Birch Hall inn at Beck Hole in the NYM, which is very famous, but which I've never visited. You're forgiven if you don't remember.

http://www.beckhole.info/bhi.htm

Looking at maps n stuff, Yarm would make a very sensible starting location, as starting from York gets a bit tricksy. Trains to Yarm from York are reasonably frequent on Saturdays.

This is the route I would like to ride, as it would avoid the constant up-down-up-down along the Esk Valley (especially Limber Hill), but it does involve two significant offroad sections.

http://goo.gl/maps/l5EDo

A start in York would be a bit more complicated, or involve lots of riding along the A169, which isn't great in the daytime. In my experience, at least, which is five years old.

Anyway, whatever we do, I like the idea, and there would be a possibility of a steam train back to Pickering afterwards, as it's very close to Goathland station.

Anyone fancy it? Route and starting location are entirely up for grabs - but I'd suggest a date in the middle of August, and Saturdays are better for trains.

The start will be at Yarm Station at 9.30 am on Saturday 17th August.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: (Don't) Keep to the Road 2013: North York Moors Ride
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2013, 11:48:48 pm »
Interested.

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2013, 11:58:09 pm »
Beer, cake........ beer-cake..... :P  Steam trains as well  :D

Dates, Adam is organising a London to Dover night ride on Friday 9th August.  Next weekend (17/18) is the Exmouth Exodus and the weekend after is the bank holiday.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2013, 12:02:12 am »
How about Saturday 31st August?

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2013, 12:08:20 am »
Sounds good to us. Woolly might be actually able to ride a bike by then.

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2013, 12:09:36 am »
I might well be interested in this, Dean, and might be able to bring along a brother or something.  I think that on Sundays the Esk Valley line would get people back to 'Boro from Whitby but the last train is about 7pm.  There are trains from 'Boro to Manchester (and from Yarm to Manchester and vice versa).

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2013, 12:11:10 am »
That weekend looks clear.     Though I'm not yet committed to Adam's ride, and I don't think many of your usual contingent will take that into account. It's just us awkward people who are slightly south of you...

« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2013, 07:35:07 am »
Interested, if I'm around then.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2013, 09:13:29 am »
How about Saturday 31st August?

I'm interested, but I'm not sure about that date. It's the afternoon after the FNR to Scarborough. It would save me a trip across, but I'm not sure how it would suit others.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #9 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:13:47 am »
Ah - yes, I'd be wanting to do the Scarborough ride too.

« Reply #10 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:23:01 am »
Good point - I don't want to clash with that.

Saturday 17th?

« Reply #11 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:29:49 am »
Same day as Old 240, which I'm hoping to do.  However, it's not certain, so go ahead and organise what's best for most!

« Reply #12 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:53:02 am »
Aren't we lucky to have so many good rides to choose from  :D

« Reply #13 on: 10 July, 2013, 01:10:40 pm »
Saturday 17th sounds good (I think...will have to check first).

« Reply #14 on: 10 July, 2013, 01:46:57 pm »
I could be interested. I'm on holiday in Goathland on 24th, but probably not 17th. Or could do 31st either.

Might be able to provide some sobering cups of tea in Goathland after if required, depending on brother in law's permission.

« Reply #15 on: 10 July, 2013, 02:43:43 pm »
I'm watching the dates on this one. The 17th (or 24th) looks good for me, but not the 3rd or 10th August and I'm not sure if I'm up to doing this immediately after the night ride on 31st.

« Reply #16 on: 10 July, 2013, 03:20:25 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm up to doing this immediately after the night ride on 31st.

That would be very silly indeed.

I'm favouring 17th August. Any objections?

And any thoughts on starting location? Yarm is best for me.

« Reply #17 on: 10 July, 2013, 05:55:24 pm »
I've only just noticed the bit about the off-road sections...how "significant" are they? :-\

« Reply #18 on: 10 July, 2013, 09:08:41 pm »
I will most likely be away for the majority of August, the 31st would have been okay as we would have returned by then. I guess it's going to be hard to select an appropriate date to fit in with everybody due to it being the main hols but if I am around I'll be on the ride. I do remember you mentioning it somewhere between Reeth and Tan Hill. I believe I wheezed a reply. ;D

« Reply #19 on: 10 July, 2013, 10:54:50 pm »
I've only just noticed the bit about the off-road sections...how "significant" are they? :-\

I dunno as I've never ridden them! Lantern rouge is the local, he might be able to advise.

It just avoids hacking up and down the Esk Valley. A lot. There are two sections, from White Cross (above Commondale) to Robin Hood's Butts and from Beacon Hill to Lealholm Rigg. Mind you, it looks as though we could skip the second bit, as there's a road along the top of the valley.

I did think about going up Ingleby Incline, but you wouldn't like that at all. Then we'd still have to make the choice between offroad and extra hills.

I'll try to break it down with elevation graphs and stuff later.

Is everyone able to start at Yarm, then?

« Reply #20 on: 11 July, 2013, 12:25:04 pm »
Yarm on the 17th sounds good to me. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do the connecting transport at the moment, but I'll worry about that closer to the time. My current thinking is that I'll ride to Yarm from home or get the train to Darlo and ride from there and then arrange for a pick up from Pickering. I'll have to look out for open garden days in the area (or similar) on the 17th. I was wondering about suggesting a visit to the Farndale daffodils might be of interest, but even though spring has been late, I don't think it's quite that late...

« Reply #21 on: 11 July, 2013, 12:34:08 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm up to doing this immediately after the night ride on 31st.

That would be very silly indeed.

I'm favouring 17th August. Any objections?

And any thoughts on starting location? Yarm is best for me.

I won't be able to make 17th (travelling up from Portsmouth that day), but go ahead with whatever suits most folks. Will be around on 24th.

I'd go with the offroad bits, but I'm likely to have a singlespeed mountain bike with me and so flatter soil is preferred to hilly road.

I'll likely ride the route anyway over the week, as it looks nice and would make a good early morning, and back in time for breakfast.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #22 on: 11 July, 2013, 12:35:26 pm »
I might very well be up for this  :)

« Reply #23 on: 11 July, 2013, 12:55:58 pm »

I dunno as I've never ridden them! Lantern rouge is the local, he might be able to advise.

It just avoids hacking up and down the Esk Valley. A lot. There are two sections, from White Cross (above Commondale) to Robin Hood's Butts and from Beacon Hill to Lealholm Rigg. Mind you, it looks as though we could skip the second bit, as there's a road along the top of the valley.

I've run and walked (possibly mtb'd, can't remember) the first of those two sections.  It's lovely coz it feels like you're journeying through the middle of nowhere in the middle, but with glimpses of the sea to the north.  It is a bit rough in places, but not ridiculously so and nothing too loose.  There are a couple of short slightly steeper sections, but short enough it wouldn't matter to push.  There is one low-lying dip which might have large gritty puddles when wet and shag your bike up if you can't avoid them, but it is a gravel/dirt track rather than a bog.  Not done it really recently (in the last year) though.

I've been to the beginning of the section from Danby beacon and it looks pretty good to me.  But I haven't been down all of it.  That section is easy to route around without too much height loss - the single track lane is quite nice and stays just above the proper drop into the valley.  But based on the bit I saw and the profile, it should be very pleasant.

« Reply #24 on: 16 July, 2013, 09:41:35 pm »
Have we a date yet? Looking forward to our trip up to Goathland.