Author Topic: 'Funeral procession' for cyclists killed on London's roads.  (Read 1675 times)

'Funeral procession' for cyclists killed on London's roads.
« on: 08 November, 2014, 09:09:49 am »

http://www.london24.com/news/cycling/protesters_to_stage_fake_funeral_for_killed_cyclists_1_3838870

I shall likely attend this. Part of me really, really dislikes the association of cycling with death, but I understand that the organisers are trying to make an impact in order to improve cycling conditions and reduce the deaths on our roads, so on balance think it's worth supporting.

red marley

Re: 'Funeral procession' for cyclists killed on London's roads.
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2014, 09:36:05 am »
I share your ambivalence over this kind of protest. On balance though I think it does more harm than good in that it adds to the messages that deter people from cycling.

The people who primarily need to be made more aware of the human cost of poor cycling provision and poor road behaviour are planners, politicians and motor vehicle drivers. I don't think an event like this really targets those groups with sufficient precision.

BTW this thread may be better off in 'on the road'

« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2014, 09:50:52 am »
I know what you mean. However, I can see what they're trying to do; the organisers are inspired by the Dutch 'Stop the Child Murder' campaigns of the 70s that helped get them the infrastructure (and attitudes) they have today. The very first 'die-in' organised by this group last year was outside TFL headquarters, which very much did target the right people and got some media coverage.

I think by getting a horse drawn carriage etc and doing the whole 'funeral' thing he's hoping to attract more media attention and get the message out that way, which may or may not work depending on what else is going on in the media that day.

« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2014, 10:37:38 am »
I share your ambivalence over this kind of protest. On balance though I think it does more harm than good in that it adds to the messages that deter people from cycling.

The people who primarily need to be made more aware of the human cost of poor cycling provision and poor road behaviour are planners, politicians and motor vehicle drivers. I don't think an event like this really targets those groups with sufficient precision.

BTW this thread may be better off in 'on the road'

Agreed
(btw jo, was it you that wrote the Risk, 'cycling and denominator neglect' article?  If so it's been one of the most useful aids I've used in getting across the message that cycling is safe.  Much appreciated).

Back on topic.  There is now far too much time and debate (much of which is irrelevant) on the negative aspect of cycling rather than the positive.  The press, media and Joe Public prefer to discuss and spread negative news, death disaster and riot than positive news.  All this does is over-magnify the small risk that cycling presents and deters everyday people from considering the bike as a valuable means of transport.  One of the major things that improves cycle safety is more cyclists.  Getting more people on bikes via positive messaging is far quicker and effective than trying to turn-around the Supertankers of infrastructure planning and improved driving (the one are I would target however is HGV/Tippers as they are proven to be responsible for a disproportionate amount of carnage).

Apart from Boardman this week, the rest of the BBC's cycling coverage was to my mind pretty negative and misdirected.  I for one have had enough.  It's time to highlight all the good things that cycling provides and take the positivity high ground.

"Cycling releases a chemical in the brain that makes you feel utterly smug and superior for the rest of the day" - Mark Steel.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2014, 03:07:35 pm »
I know what you mean. However, I can see what they're trying to do; the organisers are inspired by the Dutch 'Stop the Child Murder' campaigns of the 70s that helped get them the infrastructure (and attitudes) they have today. The very first 'die-in' organised by this group last year was outside TFL headquarters, which very much did target the right people and got some media coverage.

I think you can draw attention to road deaths without associating them with cycling.  Indeed the Dutch campaigns were about children and the danger posed by motor vehicles, not bikes (those were just part of the eventual solution).  Personally, I think a focus on taming motor traffic and building streets for people is more important than talking about cycling - that tends to lead to magic paint.

The problem seems to be that cyclists seem to be the main group that are politically active on the subject, for understandable reasons, and they tend to want to talk about things from a cycling perspective.  Combined with cyclist KSIs being more newsworthy than pedestrian or motorist KSIs...

« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2014, 06:44:23 pm »

I think you can draw attention to road deaths without associating them with cycling.  Indeed the Dutch campaigns were about children and the danger posed by motor vehicles, not bikes (those were just part of the eventual solution).  Personally, I think a focus on taming motor traffic and building streets for people is more important than talking about cycling - that tends to lead to magic paint.

The problem seems to be that cyclists seem to be the main group that are politically active on the subject, for understandable reasons, and they tend to want to talk about things from a cycling perspective.  Combined with cyclist KSIs being more newsworthy than pedestrian or motorist KSIs...

Agreed, and there would be much more support for motor taming across the board and safer streets for young and old alike.  Cyclists will benefit hugely with much less of the adverse publicity we attract.