Author Topic: LEJOG: 03-08 JULY 2022  (Read 88182 times)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
Re: LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020
« Reply #150 on: 02 May, 2020, 03:59:11 pm »
Just thinking aloud:
Say we start this ride sometime this year under a government and Audax allowance that events of up to 500 people can proceed
After night 1 control stop someone falls ill with the virus symptoms.
Does this mean under track and trace that everyone in contact, a chunk of the field and organisers probably, have to make arrangements to self-isolate, not an easy senario in that case.

Seems no way that anyone could continue the ride with the possibility they are part of a spreading wave crossing the country  ??? 

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #151 on: 02 May, 2020, 05:19:45 pm »
Our next brief over here in the UK on what the Government is going to do is the 7th of May, up until that point we still are in lockdown.

Have you set a date at which you'd be postponing/cancelling if the lockdown hasn't been lifted by then? I'm in a similar position re flights and it'd be good to know how last minute a last minute booking would have to be.
O have no inside knowledge, but if we haven't had an announcement by 1st of June about 200km events restarting, I would suggest that would make this extremely unlikely.

Agree with the statement about the event being forced to stop is someone comes down ill on the event. Wonder if it would be feasible for everyone to be tested prior to starting. On the assumption that test capacity is up and cases should be down by then.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #152 on: 03 May, 2020, 07:24:45 am »
just out of curiosity has any one received the April email update ? Thank you in advance
Thank You

« Reply #153 on: 03 May, 2020, 08:06:28 am »
just out of curiosity has any one received the April email update ? Thank you in advance

No email for April, it must be a nightmare for the organiser after all the work that has gone on behind the scenes, i would imagine a fair amount of money has been paid out too !! 

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #154 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:51:41 am »

No email for April, it must be a nightmare for the organiser after all the work that has gone on behind the scenes, i would imagine a fair amount of money has been paid out too !!
I'm hoping the event will be postponed rather than cancelled,  so all planning will still be useful,  with just dates to change.  Getting a refund for this is not especially concerning to me.  The organiser should not end up out of pocket at all.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #155 on: 03 May, 2020, 11:28:10 pm »
50/50 over LEJOG at the moment. I haven't issued an April update as there's not much to report.

AUKs suspension of all events was extended indefinitely (as expected) at their latest board meeting last month.

I've been keeping an eye on developments and I see that the government are likely to start lifting restrictions later this month.

Logistically, the event is still ready to run in late July however, even if restrictions are lifted sometime during late May/June/July and AUK events resume considering the large number of events cancelled during the Spring I doubt whether many of the riders would be in condition anyway (both physically and mentally).

I'm already considering a rerun of the event in July 2021.

I've noticed that the Deloitte edition due to take place in September has been cancelled so that's not a good omen.

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG 1400

Davef

« Reply #156 on: 04 May, 2020, 07:38:40 am »
The biggest lockdown2.0 stumbling blocks are likely public transport and overnight sleeping and feeding arrangements. Moving the overnight stops to a campsite/field would be one workaround but would mean more luggage shifting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #157 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:56:39 am »
50/50 over LEJOG at the moment. I haven't issued an April update as there's not much to report.

Thanks for the update Andy.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #158 on: 04 May, 2020, 10:14:38 am »

AUKs suspension of all events was extended indefinitely (as expected) at their latest board meeting last month.

I've been keeping an eye on developments and I see that the government are likely to start lifting restrictions later this month.

Logistically, the event is still ready to run in late July however, even if restrictions are lifted sometime during late May/June/July and AUK events resume considering the large number of events cancelled during the Spring I doubt whether many of the riders would be in condition anyway (both physically and mentally).

I've noticed that the Deloitte edition due to take place in September has been cancelled so that's not a good omen.

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG 1400
Thanks Andy, we still hope it goes ahead, optimistic I know, but we live in hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #159 on: 05 May, 2020, 07:50:31 pm »
Thanks for the update, Andy.  I would be coming from the US.  At the moment, flights seem to be available.  I am ready to pull the trigger on a flight if you decide to go ahead.

Bill Watts

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG 1400
Bill Watts

« Reply #160 on: 10 May, 2020, 08:01:04 pm »
Does anyone know what the Audax Board proclaimed at their May meeting?

Bill Watts
USA
Bill Watts

Davef

« Reply #161 on: 11 May, 2020, 07:35:14 am »
If you are coming from the USA you will need to factor in a 14 day quarantine period on arrival in the U.K.

« Reply #162 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:11:59 pm »
If you are coming from the USA you will need to factor in a 14 day quarantine period on arrival in the U.K.

Very true.  And that requirement, if it were in force at the time of the ride, would probably make participaption in impractical for me.  But before I begin to think about those logistics, it would be helpful to know what the Audax board has decreed.

Bill Watts
Bill Watts

« Reply #163 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:18:13 pm »
Also, at the moment LEJOG can't go ahead as the event isn't compatible with the current travel/cycling restrictions in both Wales and Scotland. Those will likely change by late July but there's much less of a chance of the air travel quarantine being lifted by then.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020
« Reply #164 on: 18 May, 2020, 03:23:32 pm »
Also, at the moment LEJOG can't go ahead as the event isn't compatible with the current travel/cycling restrictions in both Wales and Scotland. Those will likely change by late July but there's much less of a chance of the air travel quarantine being lifted by then.

« Reply #165 on: 18 May, 2020, 03:24:46 pm »

Very true.  And that requirement, if it were in force at the time of the ride, would probably make participaption in impractical for me.  But before I begin to think about those logistics, it would be helpful to know what the Audax board has decreed.

Bill Watts
https://audax.uk/

« Reply #166 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:32:29 am »
For me the biggest issue is a lack of preparation. All North of Scotland Audax events cancelled in the run up, restrictions currently still on meaning lack of miles under the belt. Certainly won't be in any physical shape for the challenge, with that comes injury risk, poor decision making when fatigued etc etc. Add to that my Aberdeen-Newquay flight is about to be cancelled  ::-)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #167 on: 19 May, 2020, 10:53:46 am »
For me the biggest issue is a lack of preparation. All North of Scotland Audax events cancelled in the run up, restrictions currently still on meaning lack of miles under the belt. Certainly won't be in any physical shape for the challenge, with that comes injury risk, poor decision making when fatigued etc etc. Add to that my Aberdeen-Newquay flight is about to be cancelled  ::-)
Just ride to the start building up mikes over the days, solves both problems ;D

But seriously if we aren't riding audax distance by mid june it will be very hard to be at the required fitness level in late July. I've done a couple of 100 mile local rides recently with the camelback, and they were quite tough. I could do 200km, don't think I could do multiple days of 300+

« Reply #168 on: 19 May, 2020, 11:35:10 am »

This is my biggest fear - if it does run I'm going to want to do it, and that will be a poor decision based on the lack of building up through the Audax distances in the run up. I've been keeping fit on the turbo, but this is no substitute for long miles in the legs and the building up the confidence mentally from riding through nights.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #169 on: 19 May, 2020, 02:28:24 pm »

This is my biggest fear - if it does run I'm going to want to do it, and that will be a poor decision based on the lack of building up through the Audax distances in the run up. I've been keeping fit on the turbo, but this is no substitute for long miles in the legs and the building up the confidence mentally from riding through nights.
I'm more worried about starting but not being able to finish due to outbreak on the ride or restrictions changing after setting off.

« Reply #170 on: 19 May, 2020, 02:53:40 pm »

I'm more worried about starting but not being able to finish due to outbreak on the ride or restrictions changing after setting off.
That is a valid concern as it’s out of ones hands and is possible, but so are a lot of unrelated things that might happen during the event. As for fitness levels, for those that have years/miles in their legs, endurance doesn’t drop off as soon as you think, and can be ‘refreshed’ relatively easy. This is LSD Aerobic work, not top end speed, which does drop off quickly. We’ve entered on our Tandem, been hovering around the 70-90 mile range for weekend rides. Weights sessions in the week with some Zwift sessions thrown in. Last weekend was 200k due to easing of restrictions, this week 300k and so on with a couple of double days thrown in between now and the intended event. Admittedly we’ve not done as much as we would have liked, but have been riding with intent when possible. Some riders I know have not been out for 10weeks, if that was me I’d also have reservations. As it stands, I’m glass half full, and hope it somehow goes ahead.

« Reply #171 on: 19 May, 2020, 03:51:42 pm »
If it doesn't, but Audax UK have reintroduced Permanents in a suitable timescale, then an excellent port of call (so to speak) is @Hummers who is the organiser of the End-to-end permanents.
https://markhbdm.wixsite.com/end2end#!br/c1nwd
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/mh01/
or more civilised:
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/mh02/
And enjoy the tale here:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=76263.0
https://www.landsendholidays.co.uk/ - less than a mile from the 'start'.
This is my draft of the possible route that Andy might choose, passing through the control points he's revealed or I've guessed:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31764424?beta=false

« Reply #172 on: 20 May, 2020, 10:38:57 pm »
With everyone's training down the pan, with lack of events running up to LeJOG & lockdown hurting plans for big rides, as well as mental effects etc. Perhaps best to postpone this event until next year.

« Reply #173 on: 23 May, 2020, 03:47:51 pm »
 ::-) ~My accommodation in the last week or two have cancelled my bookings, both at the start and finish due to advice of the government  etc etc.
 Has anyone else suffered this set back recently?
Regards
Thank You

« Reply #174 on: 23 May, 2020, 05:44:36 pm »
::-) ~My accommodation in the last week or two have cancelled my bookings, both at the start and finish due to advice of the government  etc etc.
 Has anyone else suffered this set back recently?
Regards
A
Nope, ours is fine still