Author Topic: LEJOG: 03-08 JULY 2022  (Read 88211 times)

Re: LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020
« Reply #175 on: 23 May, 2020, 05:45:11 pm »
::-) ~My accommodation in the last week or two have cancelled my bookings, both at the start and finish due to advice of the government  etc etc.
 Has anyone else suffered this set back recently?
Regards
A
Nope, ours is fine still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What government advice?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #176 on: 23 May, 2020, 06:00:33 pm »
The bit that says don't spend the night away from home presumably.

« Reply #177 on: 23 May, 2020, 06:03:12 pm »
That’s current, we don’t know it still will be end of July, presume that’s why Andy has not cancelled yet.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #178 on: 23 May, 2020, 06:25:13 pm »
That’s current, we don’t know it still will be end of July, presume that’s why Andy has not cancelled yet.

True, but the end of July is only 9 weeks away;
Assuming Scotland goes to Phase 1 on the 28th, the earliest we are likely to go to Phase 2 is the 18th of June, and so the earliest for Phase 3 would be 9th July.
At that point hotels can open, but it's unlikely to be quite that quick. End of July to Mid-August is roughly when many of us are predicting it.
What's more physical distancing remains, that still means the current restrictions on food serving are likely to remain in place.
It's likely most accommodation providers in Scotland are looking at it and realizing it wont be worth the effort unless they have self-catering kitchens in every room.
Hostels with shared rooms are almost certainly going to find it impossible to reopen too.

Even in the plans for Phase 4 travel and accommodation will still be full of problems.
It's rather wooly about relaxations being on scientific advice, which really just means there's no hope of setting out the road map any further.
But the starting point retains physical distancing, so still no hostel style accommodation.

We're all reckoning that will be reached some point next spring...
Bit annoying as I somehow need to use up at least 28 out of 41 days leave with not much to do in it.

As for that Cornish hotel, they've probably looked at the van trippers invading and had a "fuck this" moment and decided they can't promote tourism this summer.

The other possibilities of course are that they've gone bankrupt.

And... there's not going to be any international tourists for a long time, and that was one of Andy's other problems running it.

Davef

« Reply #179 on: 23 May, 2020, 06:33:22 pm »

True, but the end of July is only 9 weeks away;
Assuming Scotland goes to Phase 1 on the 28th, the earliest we are likely to go to Phase 2 is the 18th of June, and so the earliest for Phase 3 would be 9th July.
At that point hotels can open, but it's unlikely to be quite that quick. End of July to Mid-August is roughly when many of us are predicting it.
What's more physical distancing remains, that still means the current restrictions on food serving are likely to remain in place.
It's likely most accommodation providers in Scotland are looking at it and realizing it wont be worth the effort unless they have self-catering kitchens in every room.
Hostels with shared rooms are almost certainly going to find it impossible to reopen too.

Even in the plans for Phase 4 travel and accommodation will still be full of problems.
It's rather wooly about relaxations being on scientific advice, which really just means there's no hope of setting out the road map any further.
But the starting point retains physical distancing, so still no hostel style accommodation.

We're all reckoning that will be reached some point next spring...
Bit annoying as I somehow need to use up at least 28 out of 41 days leave with not much to do in it.

As for that Cornish hotel, they've probably looked at the van trippers invading and had a "fuck this" moment and decided they can't promote tourism this summer.

The other possibilities of course are that they've gone bankrupt.

And... there's not going to be any international tourists for a long time, and that was one of Andy's other problems running it.
So camping it is then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #180 on: 23 May, 2020, 06:53:09 pm »
Assumptions, as I said, we just don’t know. No one does. We’re all booked in and have leave booked where required. So let’s stay positive and wait to see.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #181 on: 23 May, 2020, 10:24:16 pm »
::-) ~My accommodation in the last week or two have cancelled my bookings, both at the start and finish due to advice of the government  etc etc.
Regards
A
I havent had anything yet. Currently expecting cancellation nearer the time, maybe 3 or 4 weeks before the planned date.

It's hard to see the rules in Scotland being compatible with the event in only 2 months, judging by past performance.

I see they are still expecting to run borders of Belgium in September,  and the event Jersey is great. Of course Belgium may not be keen on a load of high risk British cyclists arriving.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #182 on: 23 May, 2020, 10:51:13 pm »
Regards
A

I was booked on the sleeper train back. Yesterday I was notified that the service has been cancelled. I am sure this will also impact others.
On a more positive note I managed 240 miles in a day on rollers as a recent charity ride so my fitness is not too bad.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #183 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:06:42 pm »
I see they are still expecting to run borders of Belgium in September,  and the event Jersey is great. Of course Belgium may not be keen on a load of high risk British cyclists arriving.

Considering the UK's quarantine is likely going to last well into "Phase 4" level of restrictions I don't see me being able to go, given I'll be stuck at home for 2 weeks on return.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #184 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:11:35 pm »
Expect you might also need a fortnight’s quarantine in Belgium before you can start riding.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #185 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:14:41 pm »
Expect you might also need a fortnight’s quarantine in Belgium before you can start riding.

Just had a look at the Ranndoneurs.be and BoB websites and see no mention on what the situation is with running things beyond their Strava based DIY system.

Admittedly my Dutch isn't great and French is non-existent so I might have missed something.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #186 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:27:19 pm »
“Travelers arriving to Belgium from abroad must stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing.”

From https://be.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Seems to be confirmed in https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/faq/#006

I expect Belgium’s Schengen area international travel restrictions will be relaxed before travel restrictions from the UK.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #187 on: 24 May, 2020, 04:05:06 pm »
I do not understand why this event has not been cancelled.

1. The travel and social distancing restrictions are unlikely to have been lifted.
2. The sleeping arrangements will struggle to allow social distancing.
3. Showers and washing areas are a particular problem as they will need to be cleaned between uses. This is what my work could not manage so until further notice the showers at my work are closed.
4. The travel people have booked has started to be cancelled. LE and JoG are both hard to get to and require transport networks to be operating.
5. People from abroad may be subject to quarantine when entering and leaving the UK.
6. Cafes and pubs are a mainstay of feeding on these type of long rides. They will be unlikely to be open for the event.

I have ridden LEJOG twice and once in the AUDAX standard. It is unpredictable, arrival and leaving times will be hard to predict. If you really want to do LEJOG this year then I would opt for a solo ride. From the outside it feels like trying to organise this in the year we are having is a fool errand.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #188 on: 24 May, 2020, 05:26:36 pm »
“Travelers arriving to Belgium from abroad must stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing.”

From https://be.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Seems to be confirmed in https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/faq/#006

I expect Belgium’s Schengen area international travel restrictions will be relaxed before travel restrictions from the UK.

I was meaning in relation to BoB running or not, rather than whether belgium has a 14 day quarantine or not. The later was easy enough to find written in English.

« Reply #189 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:01:05 pm »
 I feel that Bianchi Boy, has valid points, although I am very keen to ride; my B&B has been cancelled & cannot be re-booked. If train fares could be booked, it doesn’t seem possible, for cyclists in numbers to travel  within restrictions.
What locals would think of cyclists, not to mention Audax, in each place we stop or congregate, can only be negative, possibly hostile.
Furthermore, with social distances of two metres, along with queuing, how much time would be added to each Co-Op/Spar stop, multiplied by controls doing the same, to an average rider each day?
I truly wish a July LEJOG would be realistic, but I have strong doubts! I respectfully think, a decision must be made ASAP.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #190 on: 24 May, 2020, 07:46:05 pm »
I feel that Bianchi Boy, has valid points, although I am very keen to ride; my B&B has been cancelled & cannot be re-booked. If train fares could be booked, it doesn’t seem possible, for cyclists in numbers to travel  within restrictions.
What locals would think of cyclists, not to mention Audax, in each place we stop or congregate, can only be negative, possibly hostile.
Furthermore, with social distances of two metres, along with queuing, how much time would be added to each Co-Op/Spar stop, multiplied by controls doing the same, to an average rider each day?
I truly wish a July LEJOG would be realistic, but I have strong doubts! I respectfully think, a decision must be made ASAP.
If you are really keen on doing this solo is a very practical option if all the facilities are open. I stopped mainly in Travel Lodges as they have 24 hour reception (currently only open for key staff) so unless you are prepared to bivi the whole way up accommodation will be a struggle. I did have to bail on the second last day before Inverness because of a block head wind down the great glen. In the morning the wind had stopped but the rain was heavy all the way to Tain.

I sincerely hope things improve rapidly and the event can run, but my head tells me this is highly unlikely.

I have 4 DIY perms ready to go so I can get an SR if restrictions allow. I can hunker down for one night on the 600 in a shop doorway.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #191 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:38:46 am »
If you are really keen on doing this solo is a very practical option if all the facilities are open. I stopped mainly in Travel Lodges as they have 24 hour reception (currently only open for key staff) so unless you are prepared to bivi the whole way up accommodation will be a struggle.
BB
If Audax UK have reintroduced Permanents in a suitable timescale (I sincerely hope so), then End-to-end permanents:
https://markhbdm.wixsite.com/end2end#!br/c1nwd
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/mh01/
By end July Travelodges and the like will surely be open for business, and so will shops and the like all along the route, even Scotland.
This is my draft of a possible route with 290km average days and control points:
[To follow - RidewithGPS seems 'down'.]Edited: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32758483?beta=false
Travelodges at Weston-super-Mare (305k), Warrington (603k), Dumfries (852k), Fort William (1148k) - overall 1444k.

LMT

« Reply #192 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:40:36 am »
With everyone's training down the pan, with lack of events running up to LeJOG & lockdown hurting plans for big rides, as well as mental effects etc. Perhaps best to postpone this event until next year.

Speak for yourself.

« Reply #193 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:42:28 am »
With everyone's training down the pan, with lack of events running up to LeJOG & lockdown hurting plans for big rides, as well as mental effects etc. Perhaps best to postpone this event until next year.

Speak for yourself.
Second that!

« Reply #194 on: 26 May, 2020, 06:21:13 pm »

Speak for yourself.
Second that!

Perhaps we should consider the helpers who tend to be more at risk

personally i want to ride as much as the next rider but we also have to think of others

« Reply #195 on: 26 May, 2020, 06:43:49 pm »
personally i want to ride as much as the next rider but we also have to think of others
Helpers?

« Reply #196 on: 26 May, 2020, 08:58:37 pm »
New to this forum so hi to all!..........

I am really hoping this gets deferred until next year - presumably with all those who had paid up places for this year getting a guaranteed place then. I am a little worried though - if this event runs I will be in no position to ride, have been home schooling and attempting to work since this all started and am now moving house next week (were ready to move before lock down but it was put on hold until now.) Haven't so much as looked at my bike since March! I know everyone is in the same position - just wanted to vent! Hopefully a decision gets made soon, can see the frustration for the organiser. 

« Reply #197 on: 27 May, 2020, 10:03:04 am »
Helpers?

When events start some will run with helpers we can not discriminate events on basis we just want to do this one ride.

Davef

« Reply #198 on: 27 May, 2020, 10:07:16 am »
Helpers?

When events start some will run with helpers we can not discriminate events on basis we just want to do this one ride.
It may well be in”the new normal” no events will be able to have helpers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #199 on: 27 May, 2020, 12:40:34 pm »
As someone who would be coming from the states, I think that I have to accept now that this ride will not happen for me.  At least not this year.  There is too much uncertainty to book international travel and make other arrangements, and the logistics of a two-week quarantine after arrival seem daunting, even for a randonneur.

As someone who also organizes rides in the states, and has had to deal with all of these uncertainties, I have followed this principle: Make the obvious decisions early, and save the more difficult ones for later.  I wonder if the LEJoG 1400 is not at the point where the obvious choice is either to cancel or to postpone to next year.  The logistics of such a ride are challenging under the best of circumstances, and if you add in all of the uncertainties, it is hard for me to see how this is workable for the organizers, for the volunteers, and for the great majority of the riders.

One good thing about this situation is that the entry fee was low, less than 150 pounds if I remember correctly.  For me, the much greater expense would have been in getting to the start, and getting home aftewards, so I am not going to quibble about the entry fee.  If the ride gets postponed, I hope that some part of what has been paid will apply to the rescheduled event, but I am prepared to consider this payment a small loss among far greater losses, on both a personal and a global scale.

Be well everyone,

Bill Watts
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
Bill Watts