Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170026 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #150 on: 03 December, 2012, 10:16:52 am »
How are you finding it, Hulver?
I'm pondering the 350 to 550 upgrade if I can get my darkroom equipment sold. Had a look on ebay and the prices are mad! Don't really understand why people spend £400 for one on there when mpb have bodies for about the £300-325 mark that come with a 6 month warranty...

I love it. I did upgrade from a very old 300d though, so it's quite a big change. The body is smaller than the 300d, which makes it a tiny bit awkward with my massive hands, but it's not an issue when I'm shooting.

Other than playing with some settings and forgetting to set it back, I've not had a problem with it. I can do more with it than I could the 300d, and I enjoy taking pictures with it very much.

I'd highly recommend reading the manual though. There's a lot there, I feel like I've hardly scratched the surface of what it can do.

For practical things, I find the menu system easy to use, although I don't use many features beyond changing the flash power, AEB and changing the white balance.
The battery seems to last forever, which is a good job, because it's different from the battery in the 300d and the 30d, so none of my spares fit.
Continuous shooting takes lots of pictures, and having HD video is a nice toy, but I've hardly used that yet.
The screen is nice and big and clear, so you can get a good look at the stuff you've shot. I rarely use the live view, although it has come in handy on two occasions.

I love the flash, and the 18-55mm lens with IS is great.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #151 on: 06 December, 2012, 10:46:47 am »
Just bagged a Medium Format camera off the old 'bay.

Without breaking the bank.  All will be revealed soon.
Getting there...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #152 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:19:12 pm »
Go on, do tell...

Mamiya RZ67, Pentax 6x7?   My two fave medium format beasts, but both a trifle perverse.  All I've got left now is an early 50's Zeiss folding thingy, having sold my two Mamiya C33s a good few years ago. 

I was blasting away with the Sony A55 at a train on the Welshpool & Llanfair railway a while ago, and was vaguely aware of a chp behind and to my right with a camera.  I heard clomp-crack-clunk*, turned round sharpish, to see this guy wielding a Pentax 6x7.  Not often you see them out in the wild these days. 

* sound of dirty great mirror coming up, big focal plane shutter slamming down, and big mirror dropping again. Not a camera for covert shooting.
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #153 on: 06 December, 2012, 02:12:24 pm »
;D Since you pretty much hit on it, I'll come clean.  It's a 50s Zeiss folding thing.  I used to have an Ikonta, which I loved, and put loads of film through (though it was never my only MF camera).  This is a Nettar.  With the 'fast' f4.5 lens. :)

Being a Minox 35 fan, I just love folding cameras*.  I always wanted a Fuji GS645 folding, but only ever got a GS645S, which I adored, and used as my main camera for a while before it got stolen in a burglary in about 1996.  Not had medium format since then. :'(

* Even my digital camera has a hinge, fhs!
Getting there...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #154 on: 07 December, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
A Lensbaby Muse (for the Olympus E620) arrived in the post today :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #155 on: 08 December, 2012, 09:25:53 am »
Yay!  That was quick.  I got my Nettar this morning.  I've given it the usual check over, and the various bits seem OK.  Shutter's smooth.  Bellows seem light tight.

And there's a flash with it - one of the Foley-out petal types!  Woo!

So excited.  Must dig out my lightmeter. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #156 on: 08 December, 2012, 09:30:08 am »
 :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #157 on: 08 December, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »
With flash? F16 and 5 feet. Weegee rules.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wombat

« Reply #158 on: 08 December, 2012, 03:03:52 pm »
Its the Nettar I have, with the Novar anastigmat 4.5 lens.  Mine was given to me many years ago, complete with leather ever-ready case, but I dont have a suitable flash for it.

Your mention of the Fuji GS645 has led me into some most unfortunate web-surfing... which has led me to a camera I didn't even know existed, a Fuji GX680.  What a beast!  Whilst extolling the virtues of the Mamiya RZ67 to Mrs W, she asked if you could get digital backs for them.  No problem, says I, and then she saw the price of used ones....  this neatly reminds me I need to pay my mate for the lottery syndicate!
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #159 on: 08 December, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »
Yes, that's always been rather the downside to medium format.  But a bargain Nettar might be just the thing.  I'll post photos of it later.

The flash would be fun to play with, but I've only got two bulbs, and no idea where to source more, so that's just a curiosity rather than a practical option.
Getting there...

« Reply #160 on: 08 December, 2012, 05:54:44 pm »

Mmmmm, interesting.   I quite fancy something like that myself.   Will look forward to your creative postings.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #161 on: 08 December, 2012, 08:58:51 pm »
Here we are, then:

Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #162 on: 08 December, 2012, 10:38:21 pm »
focus is a bit slack..
Have fun. I may well dig out the LF camera over the winter break.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #163 on: 08 December, 2012, 11:25:59 pm »
A Nikon Coolpix L25, as road tested extensively by staff and pupils and deemed thoroughly child-friendly if the child in question has a modicum of sense. Complete with a memory card and a case.  £39.99, Asda direct.

Couple of AAs and that's a certain young man's Christmas present sorted.  Since his current camera is a tatty Goodmans 1.3 megapixel job (with 2xdigital zoom - woo hoo!) this will represent something of an upgrade :D

Wombat

« Reply #164 on: 09 December, 2012, 10:52:05 am »
That should help the cub in question get a bit more creative!

As for myself, I've beeen pondering over a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 zoom for my well used Sony A55 for a while, Park Cameras have it down to £279 now, so I went for it last night.  Hopefully its focus motor is sufficiently quieter that any video involving focus chages won't be punctuated by nasty sharp focus motor noises.   I do have a decent mic for it now, but my Rode stereo Videomic is a bit of a lump, but its got a proper grey long haired hamster stuck on it...

Right, now to try to sound positive whilst selling the Sony 18-55 zoom.  I think its a crap lens, so I won't be selling it to any of you lot.  Not an optical disaster, its not bad at all, but just nasty plastic, stiff zoom ring, wobbly front end, and noisy focus motor.  To anyone thinking of buyt a Sony Alpha camera, do not buy it wit this lens!
Wombat

« Reply #165 on: 09 December, 2012, 10:58:36 am »
http://www.domkebags.co.uk/en/domke-accessories/62-domke-15-protective-wrap.html

As camera bags are occasionally overkill and too conspicuous. Regret going for a sombre colour as I almost sat on my camera in the wrap already. Next time I'm going for one more hi viz

« Reply #166 on: 12 December, 2012, 08:50:44 pm »
Not bought today, but delivered today ... my blurb books for Christmas presents. On first flick through I'm pleased.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #167 on: 12 December, 2012, 10:15:58 pm »

Mmmmm, interesting.   I quite fancy something like that myself.   Will look forward to your creative postings.

Starting to get the hang of it

121212 by windy_, on Flickr

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #168 on: 12 December, 2012, 10:21:58 pm »
That's going well, then. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #169 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:45:02 pm »
The lead arrived today for connecting the pixel remote triggers to the camera so I can use them as a wireless shutter release. So much better than the crappy one I have.

« Reply #170 on: 04 January, 2013, 06:38:01 pm »
A new strap for my Fuji X100.  An Op/Tech which seems to be comfortable and non rattly

Quite tempted to get the matching wrist loop as well now.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

David Martin

« Reply #171 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:55:58 pm »
And my reflector holder appeared as well. Great stuff - but the clamp is a bit interesting.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #172 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:57:23 pm »
A new strap for my Fuji X100.  An Op/Tech which seems to be comfortable and non rattly

That looks like exactly what I need.  Thanks.  Might see if I can get it anywhere other than Amazon, mind.
Getting there...

« Reply #173 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:04:48 pm »

That looks like exactly what I need.  Thanks.  Might see if I can get it anywhere other than Amazon, mind.

Ah yes, there is that aspect.  Amazon is so damn convenient though  :-[    Especially as I can get their stuff delivered to the local Co-Op.....that's quite a surprising combination really.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #174 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:14:17 pm »
I know.  No criticism intended.  Our local (well, next to local) Co-op has the lockers, too.
Getting there...