Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170060 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #225 on: 21 March, 2013, 03:11:13 pm »
This morning I went into Fixation to get a sensor cleaned (a dust spot wouldn't blow off and I don't want to risk buggering up something that fundamental) they did it while I waited.

Waited? It was like a smackhead being left alone in the local heroin factory.

I looked at all the second hand gear. My, aren't those enormous f2.8 telephotos expensive even when they are seriously secondhand? Bloody hell aren't those Canon 600mm f4's enormous. You could use the lens caps to make pancakes in.

Oooh, look at all these tripods. Let's play with some. Hmm, picking up that carbon fibre tripod was a serious mistake, and it's on sale. Fuck me, how much? Even on sale? I wonder how much that 12ft tall carbon fibre tripod is?

Let's have a look at all these nice bags. What an enormous selection. Nearly a whole wall full.

What to play with now? I know they were taking pre-orders for D7100's, hope the cops don't come in now because my hands are shaking and the sweat is running down my face. What's that? You've finished it?

Pay the bill and get outside and gulp in that cold, refreshing, air grateful that I don't need to join NA.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #226 on: 21 March, 2013, 03:56:51 pm »
I had the very same emotions when I went there c 2008 to have about 20 bits of the Sahara removed from my sensor. Huge 2nd hand lenses with huge 4-figure pricetags, the tripods, the bags. Yep, exactly the same.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #227 on: 21 March, 2013, 04:57:57 pm »
Two step up-rings, an ND4 and an ND10.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #228 on: 21 March, 2013, 05:04:04 pm »
ND10?  That's about the same opacity as the average brick... ;D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #229 on: 21 March, 2013, 05:16:26 pm »
ND10?  That's about the same opacity as the average brick... ;D

I want to photograph a deserted High Street at midday. The only way to lose the people is a very long exposure.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #230 on: 21 March, 2013, 05:27:33 pm »
ND10 is an ND4 that's been in a smoking household. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #231 on: 21 March, 2013, 07:42:57 pm »
I ordered some more paper for the printer.

« Reply #232 on: 21 March, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #233 on: 21 March, 2013, 08:53:56 pm »
Crikey Charlotte - you've had some late nights recently.
It is simpler than it looks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #234 on: 21 March, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »
Git...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #235 on: 23 March, 2013, 07:35:08 pm »
I now own an Olympus OM-2SP, a Vivitar 70-210 lens, an Olympus T32 flash, a Zuiko 35-70 lens and an Olympus T18 flash, but the last two have not yet arrived.

Well, the 35-70 zoom arrived today.  I just wish I could go out with my camera tomorrow to play instead of having to go to work :(
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #236 on: 27 March, 2013, 06:25:16 pm »
Something else Zuiko-y arrived today:

Can you guess what it is yet?

Olympus 35SP rangefinder! :thumbsup:

Yup.  42mm f1.7  Fast glass.  And a gert big bright viewfinder, too!

Ain't it a looker? :-*

Yes, I know about the dust on the filter.  I was just a bit keen to get it photographed. :-[
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #237 on: 27 March, 2013, 07:20:58 pm »
Size comparison of my Yashica Electro 35GSN, Canon G11 digital, and Olympus 35SP.  Sorry about the photo - it's from my mobile.

Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #238 on: 28 March, 2013, 09:21:08 am »
I bought one of these as a general purpose snapper

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx150-is

I've only had it a day and i'm slightly dumbstruck at the feature set.

14Mp
28-336 zoom
Image Stabilised
720p stabilised video
Aperture Priority
Shutter Priority
Manual
..and tons of other filters, face-recognition...etc

It feels very solid with a bit of weight to it so it's just a bit big for a cycle jersey pocket.

Cost?

For a Canon like that?

£69 from Argos.  OK, it's not going to end up in a Pro's camera bag but it is a serious amount of "holiday camera" for <£70

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #239 on: 28 March, 2013, 09:27:52 am »

Ha! I've been shooting with my 35SP this morning:

I've only had it a day and i'm slightly dumbstruck at the feature set.

OodlesMp
no zoom
Image Stabilised (when I stand still enough)
no video
EV Priority
Programme
Manual
..and a UV filter, face-recognition (dependent on my eyes)...etc

It feels very solid with a bit of weight to it so it's just a bit big for a cycle jersey pocket.

;D

But I have to admit that is a lot of camera for the money.  I was reading about the next generation of digi compacts coming up soon, and they have amazing features.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #240 on: 28 March, 2013, 09:39:25 am »
I was on the very verge of buying a G15 (currently £389 from a "decent" UK store) but I think that class of camera is in a state of transition and I wanted something with at least 720p HD capability for hols.

The market doesn't know where it's going with high quality non-DSLR cameras right now.
You can see that with the Canon G15 and G1X being released at the same time in the same price bracket. 
It's my perfect camera split over 2 cameras but I expect them to converge in the next year or two.

Of course the clever marketing people at Canon know that a perfect Canon "G2X" with a 28-140mm zoom, F1.8-F2.8 lens, articulating screen and a large sensor may seriously damage their entry-level DSLR market (and all those future sales of lenses and better DSLRs).

I'm fairly sure that's why they continually refrain from producing it.

I don't mind paying £500 for that camera but, for now, £69 gets me about 60% of what I want from my perfect camera for 13% of the price.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #241 on: 28 March, 2013, 09:46:54 am »
I think you're absolutely right about that.  I'm happy with what I suppose is a 'high-end' compact, and don't want a DSLR.  The marketing guys want me to go for a CSC, and, sure, I'd love a Fuji X-Pro 1, but it ain't gonna happen, any more than I'm going to buy the 'affordable' Leica M-E. ;D

I've always been in awkward niches.
Getting there...

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #242 on: 28 March, 2013, 09:51:53 am »
Something else Zuiko-y arrived today:

Can you guess what it is yet?

Olympus 35SP rangefinder! :thumbsup:

Ain't it a looker? :-*

Yes, I know about the dust on the filter.  I was just a bit keen to get it photographed. :-[

I have the QL17 GIII. Haven't used it in years, might have to dig it out, maybe stick it on Ebay.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #243 on: 02 April, 2013, 05:15:21 pm »
Yesterday, I got a battery converter for my Yashica.  To be honest, the adaptation I'd done with a jack plug spring worked well, but I think the Yashicaguy's conversion will be more secure (and probably make it more saleable).
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #244 on: 04 April, 2013, 12:44:30 pm »
My shiny new 650d has just arrived :D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #245 on: 04 April, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
Ooh - shiny toy! :D

*waits for pix*
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #246 on: 04 April, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »
*waits for battery to nom electrons*
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #247 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:28:31 am »
I got myself a Nikon, fuck yeah.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350759789533?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Small, light, AAs, jersey pocketable and at £40 I won't worry too much about it. Having said that, I'm quite pleased that the Chain Reaction phone cover (given away a while back with a mag, doesn't fit any phone) fits it perfectly. Early appearances suggest that it is well up to the job.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #248 on: 15 April, 2013, 09:51:34 am »
I bought a decent microphone for doing video stuff. A Beyer dynamic MCE 86 S. Seems to work fine, albeit a bit quiet but the signal/noise is good. And an ART USB dual preamp that does phantom power, so I can now record two channels, ambient and directional. My sound recorder is a bit pants though and I'm not convinced that the preamp is putiing out line level output (either that or the rather budget digital recorder isn't handling it well.)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #249 on: 15 April, 2013, 10:24:58 am »
A Westcott Apollo Orb umbrella softbox.

Picked it up last week - it's a monstrously large modifier and almost too big for speedlights, but it makes such gorgeously beautiful light that I'm prepared to futz about stuffing multiple strobes into it and balancing lighting ratios for the stupendously flattering look that it offers.  I took it on a shoot yesterday and it was astounding and frustrating in equal measure.

It's only a matter of time before I end up with something like a Ranger Quadra anyway.  Then I can use this sort of kit outside - which will be awesome.