Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170144 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #550 on: 09 July, 2015, 12:02:18 pm »
A Canon S95.  I've got an upcoming bike trip and when I tried using my Fuji X10 on the bike last year, I found it was a bit too big for use on the bike, plus the lens ring focusing - while great for two-handed use - meant I couldn't shoot one-handed while moving.  The S95 is also cheap enough by now (double figures) that I can stick it in a jersey pocket or a tribag and not worry about it too much. 

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #551 on: 09 July, 2015, 12:13:37 pm »
Check out that DoF:

P1010070 by pencyclist, on Flickr

(sorry, didn't have access to anything more interesting to photograph)
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #552 on: 09 July, 2015, 12:15:51 pm »
I wish I could configure my XZ to focus using the lens ring.  I like using it for aperture, mind.  Zoom is a wiggly lever.

That's a feature I only discovered recently. Not sure I'll use it much but at least it's there when I need it.
Pen Pusher

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #553 on: 10 July, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »
Check out that DoF:

P1010070 by pencyclist, on Flickr

There isn't much of it to check.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #554 on: 10 July, 2015, 02:34:06 pm »
A Canon S95.  I've got an upcoming bike trip and when I tried using my Fuji X10 on the bike last year, I found it was a bit too big for use on the bike, plus the lens ring focusing - while great for two-handed use - meant I couldn't shoot one-handed while moving.  The S95 is also cheap enough by now (double figures) that I can stick it in a jersey pocket or a tribag and not worry about it too much.
That's a lot of camera for under £100.  It was basically the Canon G11 in a compact box.  A 9/10 review at £399 in 2010.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #555 on: 10 July, 2015, 08:00:46 pm »
There isn't much of it to check.

Aye ;)
Pen Pusher

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #556 on: 11 July, 2015, 10:34:43 am »
That's a lot of camera for under £100.  It was basically the Canon G11 in a compact box.  A 9/10 review at £399 in 2010.

Yeah.  The X10 replaced an S80 which died a couple of years ago, and which I found ideal for cycling, so I wanted another S model.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #557 on: 15 July, 2015, 10:58:21 am »
Not today but recently and purely as ornaments.

All were around £5 off Ebay and they are all lovely. They bring back memories of playing with my Dad's old camera (a Halina). I still love the "angry Wasp" buzz of a mechanical self-timer.

Bigger

Bigger

This Baldamatic has a light-meter which enables you to set exposure which is then linked, so you can adjust shutter-speed or aperture and retain a correct exposure.  It also has moving Depth of Field indicators.  Beautiful engineering.

Bigger

Bigger

For comparison, here's my latest camera, a Canon S120. 

Bigger

Not quite as lovely to look at or to hold but it's almost Science-fiction when you compare features.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #558 on: 16 July, 2015, 05:36:32 pm »
The Agfa Silette is a surprisingly capable camera.  That's the model I picked up from our local charity shop and, er, sold on ebay.  I idly wanted a Super Silette (rangefinder version), but never got round to it.
Getting there...

paul851

« Reply #559 on: 17 July, 2015, 05:49:22 pm »
A couple of stainless developing tanks with 35mm and 120 reels , Paterson tank and reels are OK as long as the reels are dry , a nightmare if their's even the slightest hint of moisture .tTat said , learning to load 36 exposure rolls onto stainless reels nearly did for me but an evening sat in front of the television with my eyes closed and a practice roll helped  ;D

Paul

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #560 on: 20 July, 2015, 04:11:15 pm »
A second-hand Panasonic LX7.  Blimey, it's pretty nice but rather heavy for the size.  See the ads for my lighter and more zoomy LX2!, now £45 posted.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #561 on: 11 August, 2015, 11:52:32 am »
One of these http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/panasonic/lumix-dmc-gm1-camera-in-silver-12-32mm-lens-panasonic-case-97064/show.html

Will act as a tiny second body for my m43 lenses, and an everyday carry.

Another case of Panasonic flogging off old models cheaper than the cost of the lens if sold separately. Sensor is still used in their current models too.

Played with an all black model before, but the black paint was very subject to wear, and I know some people like brassing, but paint wearing off metal isn't a look a like. Got the leather case too.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #562 on: 11 August, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »
^ nice :thumbsup:
Pen Pusher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #563 on: 11 August, 2015, 01:17:19 pm »
Good value!
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #564 on: 11 August, 2015, 04:39:50 pm »
Nice quality Dura Gadget neoprene pouch.  Little bit big for the LX7, but that's ok.  www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191509203798  :thumbsup:

And, not so good, this for my smaller LF1: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201274900656 - excessive padding at sides, no padding at edges.  :thumbsdown:

« Reply #565 on: 13 August, 2015, 06:34:44 pm »
I started buying this last Friday, on my way to St Petersburg.

An Olympus 45mm/1.8 m4/3 lens.

Initial conversation with salesman - Do I not get the VAT off (the £204 purchase price) any more as I am travelling outside EU?

Ans: No

I wasn't that worried as I saw their price guarantee - but failed to read the small print*

Also Olympus are doing a promo at the moment of £30 cash back

On return, I started fuming hearing the current news story about the airport companies trousering the VAT. Also the going price on t'Interwebs I find to be £145-149. On Currys in store.... £149!

Off I toddle to Currys, hand them back the purchased one for £204 and buy it back for £149, job done.

Cashback form submitted.

* Dixons travel will price match t'Interwebs (Amazon etc) BUT only at the time of purchase. BUT with 2x the difference. So, I missed the opportunity of picking it up for £94 and then getting £30 cash back....... You also have opportunity of asking for full refund. An interesting thing worth exploiting in future.

« Reply #566 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:12:34 pm »

An Olympus 45mm/1.8 m4/3 lens.

Well done on getting a good price!
I hope you enjoy the lens, I take around 2/3 of my pictures with this one.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #567 on: 13 August, 2015, 08:50:33 pm »
An ND 200 (7 2/3 stops) neutral density filter.

Camera comp this month is long exposure  :thumbsup:

« Reply #568 on: 14 August, 2015, 11:54:34 am »
A nice Manfrotto 303Plus QTVR head - used but in great nick - for £125.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #569 on: 15 August, 2015, 04:35:31 pm »
Another soft compact camera case: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330956277302 - good and nicely fits my Lumix LF1.  Claims to be genuine Samsung, doesn't matter if fake.  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #570 on: 15 August, 2015, 10:55:20 pm »
Some ThinkTank stuff.

Can't wait to go out looking like a dork!  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #571 on: 19 August, 2015, 10:42:25 pm »
Well, an FM2 body and a 55mm Micro-Nikkor turned up from eBay but they were both knackered beyond words so are going back.  The FM2 has had a massive blow to the back which has rippled the metal and caused it to lose its external VF eyepiece and the Micro-Nikkor had a jammed focusing ring.  Some sellers should really check stuff before they list it.  Both business sellers so no problem with a refund and no return postage, but it's a real crapshoot.

I have managed to get one decent FM2, three of the Series E lenses and a 50mm f/1.4.  The Series E lenses are, I'm ashamed to say, just as sharp as the Leica lenses I used to have*.  Ken Rockwell is right; they may look a bit low rent but they work impeccably.  This is the 100mm f/2.8.  Clickness for bigness and then click again for the 1600px image (the original scan is about 16MP and that's sharp too; it's Neopan Acros in Rodinal).

Despite my crappy eyes, I can still focus an SLR easily enough!

*it's not true that lens sharpness is over-rated; the Minolta X-series lenses I had 15 years ago weren't pin-sharp, especially the 35mm and 70-210mm. and the Bronica 60mm PE lens I had was atrocious.  In fact, only the standard 75mm Bronica lens was really good although the 40mm and 135mm were passable.  When you put the camera on a tripod, use mirror lock, focus as if your life depended on it and the subject's eyes are still soft, the lens is a duffer.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #572 on: 20 August, 2015, 09:30:54 pm »
A Nikon F3 for less than forty quid.  This is a bit of a punt but it's cheap because the seller says the shutter is faulty; it won't fire with the release button, only when the manual release lever on the front of the body is pressed.  Then he says he can't test the meter or LCD viewfinder display because he hasn't tried batteries in the camera.

The point he's missing is that an F3 without batteries will do just this.  The shutter will not fire without batteries as it is electronic, except for (you guessed it) a mechanical 1/60 speed from the separate lever.

Anyway, for £40 I can strip it and sell parts if the shutter really is knackered, which I doubt (F3s are built like tanks).  The focusing screen alone can go for £20.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #573 on: 21 August, 2015, 07:40:25 am »
Nice spot, Roger.  A friend of a friend was shooting with a Nikon FM3a at a picnic I went to the other day and initially, I thought, "ohhh, he's got one of those Df bodies..."
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #574 on: 21 August, 2015, 09:04:07 am »
Got an FM3 with a waist level finder in my office.. Have to try a film through that at some point.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes