Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170323 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #600 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:32:24 pm »
Went on to 7dayshop to buy a uv filter for the sony and some 120 film and a compact flash card.  Then looking at prices as the filter was a paid for postage item, I ended up going to amazon and buying a lens, some 120 colour film, 400asa and a kingston 4gb compact flash card.

Was also looking at lenses, but think that is a bit early.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #601 on: 19 October, 2015, 01:29:33 pm »
Thank you all.

Not the latest model, but it'll do for the likes of me. And she does love me a lot (I hope).
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #602 on: 21 October, 2015, 12:13:15 pm »
Ordered a Yongnuo YN-568-EX II for my Canon.

It seems to offer everything I need from a Canon Speedlight at a significantly lower price.  E-TTL and a Master/trigger for some slave flashes (eventually).

For now I can use my old Viv 283 on an optical flash trigger if I need more light.

Wow!!

What a lovely bit of kit for £64.  Wireless Master or Slave.  I can see why people are using these as Studio strobes.  3 of them for under £200 then a few brollies and stands would give you a basic, but very decent, studio set up for under £350 (the price of a single Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Flashgun).

The only downside I see is the lack of external power supply input.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #603 on: 21 October, 2015, 06:23:20 pm »
This may sound stupid for someone who can't really use a camera right now* but I am swapping the Nikon Series E 28mm for a Nikkor 24mm because, well, the 28mm is too close to the 35mm and, although it really is quite sharp, it's not OMG-sharp like the 100mm.  It's not even my technique - 1/125 shots with the 28mm look softer than 1/125 shots with the 100mm, which requires more critical focus and is more susceptible to shake.

*I can already focus using a split image screen.  Or use my left eye, obviously.  Pupil still massively dilated and I suspect it will be 20/40 or better as soon as the atropine wears off, which is incredible really - it goes on improving for six months after this so may eventually manage 20/20, which is pretty rare for a corneal graft.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #604 on: 24 October, 2015, 11:48:46 am »
Got a new Ona Bowery today, in cognac leather. Its gorgeous.

I can't find my old Billingham Hadley :(
I think my wife has hidden/thrown/given it away. She's currently denying everything.
Still, every cloud has a silver lining.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #605 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:41:51 pm »
Smoke machine.  Oh yeah.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #606 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:33:27 am »
Now the proud owner of an autofocus SLR - an Olympus IS-3000, the bad boy of that particular series (I also have an IS-200 and IS-1000, which will both be sold on.

I rather like this IS.  OK, so it doesn't have interchangeable lenses, but it is a reputable bit of Zuiko glass stretching from 35-180 mm, at an acceptable f4.5-5.6.  I can live with that.  And there's lots of user control on it.  It'll be fun learning my way around :)
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #607 on: 14 November, 2015, 10:53:54 am »
Smoke machine.  Oh yeah.
Yay! Goth party!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #609 on: 15 December, 2015, 11:41:04 pm »
Voigtlander R3m and 52/50 Heliar 250 Jahre set. Second hand, obviously, as a support for my preferred but slightly unreliable Zeiss Ikon.

clarion

• Tyke
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #611 on: 18 December, 2015, 07:57:34 pm »
None, sadly.  Although he is a most splendid chap :)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #612 on: 18 December, 2015, 11:51:49 pm »
None, sadly.  Although he is a most splendid chap :)

It would be a very interesting introduction to make. They share a certain whackiness...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #613 on: 23 December, 2015, 11:21:55 am »
And a certain beardiness...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #614 on: 16 January, 2016, 03:44:18 pm »
Oh dear, a visit to Park Cameras and I'm about £2,700 worse off. Bugger.  And they didn't have the Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 in stock, so it could have been an even worse hit on my reserves.

I seem to own a Sony A7Rii   :facepalm: ;D ;D  Exploring how well my existing A mount lenses work with the adaptor is amusing, the ancient Sigma 70-300 is manual focus only (but with focus peaking, no big deal, and it was a slow old focuser anyway), the Sigma 150-500 is fine in autofocus, the Sigma APS-C 10-20 ultrawide is manual focus only (but hey, you hardly have to focus that thing) and the APS-C Sigma 17-70 is fine, just as if it was on its intended APS-C  A mount camera. 

42 Megapixel uncompressed RAW files are a bit big! 

Just had to buy a 64Gb UHS ii SD card, or I won't be able to shoot 4K video (not that I presently have any need for it...)
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #615 on: 17 January, 2016, 06:18:51 pm »
Cool kit (y)
Getting there...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #616 on: 18 January, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »
I've still got that slightly sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, where I wonder if I have done something incredibly stupid... I have real troubles spending large amounts of money, which I suppose is why I still have some, 'cos I struggle spending it  ;D

I'm learning the camera, which is quite an undertaking, as as well as just being a camera with an excellent sensor, it also has fancy things like wifi and remote control, and it does tethering.  No anti-aliasing filter, either...

I've only got a year and a bit of spending, till I retire.  :-[
Wombat

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #617 on: 18 January, 2016, 01:11:55 pm »
I've still got that slightly sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, where I wonder if I have done something incredibly stupid.

If you get years of pleasure from using it and looking at the results then you did something incredibly sensible.

£2700, in relation to my monthly income, isn't so different to the amount I paid for my Pentax ME Super all those years ago.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #618 on: 18 January, 2016, 02:50:52 pm »

I seem to own a Sony A7Rii   :facepalm: ;D ;D 

Fantastic!  looks like an amazing camera.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #619 on: 18 January, 2016, 03:01:14 pm »
I seem to own a Sony A7Rii   :facepalm: ;D ;D

Health to use it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #620 on: 18 January, 2016, 03:31:12 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/_oJepUIa6u/

Elinchrom EL-Skyport Plus HS.  For two hundred quid and some buggering about, all my big flash just got a sync speed boost.  Which means that they're effectively double, quadruple and often even more multiples more powerful than they were.

In the world of megapixels, this may not mean much to most people, but for me - it's a total showstopper.  So looking forward to playing with it some more!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #621 on: 18 January, 2016, 04:22:20 pm »
^ that looks like a very handy bit of kit and considering what it can do I'm amazed it doesn't cost 4 times as much (in the context of professional grade gear, that is).

My LUMIX 45-150 arrived this afternoon. Little birthday presents myself as I didn't get round to buying one last summer when I was going to (got my G6 body instead). 300mm equivalent in something that will fit into a pocket  :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #622 on: 18 January, 2016, 10:26:49 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/_oJepUIa6u/

Elinchrom EL-Skyport Plus HS.  For two hundred quid and some buggering about, all my big flash just got a sync speed boost.  Which means that they're effectively double, quadruple and often even more multiples more powerful than they were.

In the world of megapixels, this may not mean much to most people, but for me - it's a total showstopper.  So looking forward to playing with it some more!
How does it do that? do multiple flashes so that it evens out over the whole image as the shutter travels (like Nikon High speed sync)?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #623 on: 18 January, 2016, 10:32:41 pm »
Surely it is a single flash, just longer than the shutter speed, that fires just before the shutter opens and finishes just after it has closed?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #624 on: 19 January, 2016, 08:28:43 am »
Multiple flash is the normal way, the typical duration of the flash being very much shorter than the shutter exposure (50us or thereabouts ?), just needs to be synched to the shutter position on the FP..