Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170515 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #625 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:26:05 am »
Surely it is a single flash, just longer than the shutter speed, that fires just before the shutter opens and finishes just after it has closed?

200th of a second is a typical maximum shutter speed (i.e the shortest time the shutter mechanism can remain fully open to the sensor... and hence max Flash Sync speed), beyond that the 2 curtains are used to form a travelling slit which spoofs a fast shutter mechanism, without the shutter actually operating any faster.

200th of a second is a huge "burn time" for a flash.

Canon high-speed synch is a multiple flash solution.  As Ham says it fires multiple times as the slit travels over the sensor, illuminating the sensor in stages.
Too fast to notice to the naked eye but you can tell it happened by the extended flash re-cycle time.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #626 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:42:04 am »
Ah, I think I see  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #627 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:01:33 pm »
I'd just like to say that I have several cameras with a 1/500s max flash sync.

Leaf shutters ftw! ;)
Getting there...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #628 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:36:48 pm »
I'd just like to say that I have several cameras with a 1/500s max flash sync.

Leaf shutters ftw! ;)

What happens to them in Autumn though?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #629 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:22:37 pm »
Ho ho, very droll...

I used to use a pair of seriously secondhand Mamiya C33 TLRs, and the flash synch "all the way" to 1/500 was very nice.  Only thing I had to remember was that the max power flash of my Sunpak Autozoom 4000 hammerhead gun took place at 1/400 of a second. Rarely an issue, but one had to bear it in mind. 
Wombat

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #630 on: 19 January, 2016, 04:59:11 pm »
Nope, it's none of these things.  FP sync is Nikon's flutter-flash solution, which fires a pulse of flashes to make sure that as the slit travels across the sensor, it's evenly illuminated.  HSS, Hi-sync, Hypersync and all the other proprietary names for what the Elinchrom does (and PocketWizard and whoever else does it) is a different beastie.

It relies on a combination of super-precise timing, with the option to fine-tune things (which you don't need to do if you're operating in a known, one brand ecosystem) and a very slow duration flash burn.  Ironically, whilst the industry's been getting its knickers in a twist about action-freezing T1 times and strobes that can stop time by delivering their power in a tiny fraction of a second, Hypersync relies on good old fashioned slow flash to work.  Which means that the cheaper D-Lite strobes work well, but the expensive BRX units work less well with one of these triggers.  Weird...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #631 on: 19 January, 2016, 07:07:32 pm »
Clever stuff!
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #632 on: 19 January, 2016, 08:38:56 pm »
Surely it is a single flash, just longer than the shutter speed, that fires just before the shutter opens and finishes just after it has closed?

200th of a second is a typical maximum shutter speed (i.e the shortest time the shutter mechanism can remain fully open to the sensor... and hence max Flash Sync speed), beyond that the 2 curtains are used to form a travelling slit which spoofs a fast shutter mechanism, without the shutter actually operating any faster.

200th of a second is a huge "burn time" for a flash.
ISTR that my old Metz 45CT-1 was 1/300 sec on full power, which was another reason not to elect 1/500 sync on a leaf shutter (faster than 1/250 is always held to be risky anyway, as the sync is rarely perfect and you can end up with shadows in the corners)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #633 on: 19 January, 2016, 09:22:24 pm »
The problem with a leaf shutter and flash is that as the sync speed goes up, the effective aperture can go down if the shutter starts closing before it is fully open. So you may get a sharper depth of field than intended. There will be a critical speed above which you cannot use the lens wide open without an apparent slow down.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #634 on: 04 February, 2016, 10:17:15 am »
I'm struggling to get my head round high speed sync with focal plane shutters, but somehow or other it seems to work.  I've experimented with 1/250, but I was watching a Youtube video last night saying I can do 1/8000 with the A7Rii.  We shall see, as I'm not ready for that experiment yet. 

I have, however bought a "cheap and nasty" Sony 28-70 zoom for the A7Rii as a general carry-about lens, as my other lens i have ordered is on back order. Now that is a nice one, a Zeiss Batis 25/f2.  That is allegedly for use when photographing groups of Regency dancers in typically poorly lit venues, being as distortion free as I'll find at that focal length.  It may of course also be handy for landscapes and buildings.  I've never paid that much (£979) for a lens before, previously the most expensive was a Sigma 150-500 zoom at £699 (and then £50 cashback).  I daresay Charlotte has some that were a bit pricier than that!

Why Park Cameras want £30 more than Sony's list price for the cheapo zoom I do not know, hence I have bought it from Amazon for £100 less.

Depending on my future employment situation I may not be able to resist the Batis 85/f1.8  ;D
Wombat

« Reply #635 on: 09 February, 2016, 06:26:40 pm »
Just lashed out for 486 (count 'em) Lightroom presets https://creative.adobe.com/addons/products/10491#.VrnTXliLR9i or https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sw0ctwp24z00acg/AAAPnFEz6qrd81KH7eLVG2Rba?dl=0

A bit of an hextravagance, but fun.

The Adobe <makes a sign to ward off the devil> Creative Cloud crapped out completely, as it appears to for many people but the author emailed them to me, so all good in the end.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #636 on: 10 February, 2016, 01:14:36 pm »
Bought a wireless Flash Trigger.  About £9 off Ebay, not TTL, entirely manual but will do the job I want for now. 
There's almost nothing I like about (a) My DSLR flip-up flash or (b) My big external flash mounted on the camera hot-shoe.

Longer term I'll get a cheap double soft-box setup, another Yongnuo flash and the Yongnuo 622 Triggers/Transceivers (that control the flashguns remotely).

Ebay really does give the enthusiast/amateur a lot of options for very little money.  You can probably source a basic but adequate home-studio, with a 3 excellent flash guns for £250 - £300. 

EDIT.  "Neewer" Flash trigger arrived and does exactly what I need.  Transmitter on the Hotshoe & the Flashgun sat on the Receiver.  Camera fires.. Flash fires.

Thinking about it, my next camera will most likely have built-in Wireless Flash synch so it's not worth spending a lot.

« Reply #637 on: 26 February, 2016, 01:20:45 pm »
Olympus 60mm 2.8 Macro M4/3 lens.
I'm in charge of the garden this year, so want to take photos of what I grow. The lens also doubles quite well as a portrait lens.

« Reply #638 on: 26 February, 2016, 03:09:37 pm »
Olympus 60mm 2.8 Macro M4/3 lens.
I'm in charge of the garden this year, so want to take photos of what I grow. The lens also doubles quite well as a portrait lens.

I have one of those, nice lens.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

David Martin

« Reply #639 on: 26 February, 2016, 09:49:31 pm »
A second hand studio strobe and a new reflector for it. Be interesting to see how well it works.

« Reply #640 on: 27 February, 2016, 06:54:34 pm »
Not exactly photo gear, but a set of placemats from Botts (Snapfish) along with a 30% discount (up to 29th March - BP3GFT216H for home delivery BP3GFT216S for store delivery

Think I might do another 6

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #641 on: 10 March, 2016, 11:02:29 pm »
Something with 20mm and f1.8 in the name. It's financial year end again.

First experiences are that it is rather sharp, quite light in weight and rather good.

David Martin

« Reply #642 on: 10 March, 2016, 11:19:03 pm »
I am strongly considering a samyang 12mm 2.8 fisheye for landscape/indoor/all sorts of things reasons.

Any thoughts on this lens? (Nikon fit so it meters)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #643 on: 10 March, 2016, 11:28:20 pm »
I considered wider (I do have a Tokina 11-16 which is a brilliant lens and just about works on FF at 16, but looking at my shots found I wasn't using the full area for subject matter. That's why I chose 20.

Samyang have a good reputation.

David Martin

« Reply #644 on: 10 March, 2016, 11:41:28 pm »
Somewhere I have a Nikon 10-24 but it has been put is a safe place (or lost). I wonder if a flickr search can be done by focal length so I can work out where it was when I last knew where it was.

« Reply #645 on: 12 March, 2016, 01:26:40 pm »
Not exactly bought, but I got one of these as an anniversary present from Mrs Dan  :D

Which prompted me to go out and buy a roll of film for the first time in years.

David Martin

« Reply #646 on: 12 March, 2016, 01:50:17 pm »
Found the 10-24, so now it is decision time - use it on the D610 for landscapes or upgrade the D80 (at long last).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #647 on: 12 March, 2016, 02:23:08 pm »
Not exactly bought, but I got one of these as an anniversary present from Mrs Dan  :D

Which prompted me to go out and buy a roll of film for the first time in years.

Fun.

A few years ago there was a DIY brass & rosewood 4x5 camera kit on the market.  Wouldn't mind one of those.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

David Martin

« Reply #648 on: 16 March, 2016, 12:48:15 pm »
Finally upgraded the D80. I figured that having to get AF-S lenses if I went for the D5xxx (and actually not liking the feel or controls so much) I went for a hardly used D7100. Basically a DX version of the D610 but better resolution. I was tempted to go for teh D7200 but decided it was too much out of budget.

The work D610 has now done more shots than my D80 (23k vs 22k, though I'm not sure I believe the 22k figure).

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #649 on: 16 March, 2016, 01:32:41 pm »
The D7100 is a neat performer.