Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170042 times)

Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #675 on: 03 June, 2016, 07:26:57 pm »
welcome to the dark side!  re. the auto ISO, on a canon you can set the minimum shutter speed in an autoISO sub menu.  A quick google looks like you should be able to do the same for Nikon: http://imaging.nikon.com/support/digitutor/d610/functions/autoisocontrol.html  Is that any good?   I cant use the auto shutter speed setting either, I shake too much.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #676 on: 03 June, 2016, 07:37:20 pm »
I bought a pair of Yongnuo flash triggers, the 622 TX (that controls all the flash settings remotely, and sits on the camera) and the 622 (that sits under the flash).

So far so good, amazing value (as all Yongnuo products appear to be).

I also got a collapsible grey/white background (like a decathlon pop-up tent.. and equally hard to figure out how to get back in the bag... thank god for Youtube).

I'm awaiting delivery of a couple of cheap lighting stands and brollies then I may get another flash and slave trigger.

Oh yes, I also got a RODE video mic "GO" for better audio.

I'd really like to do what Charlotte did, and set up a studio at an Audax event, to capture those end of ride wrinkles and eye-bags.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #677 on: 03 June, 2016, 08:39:18 pm »
welcome to the dark side!  re. the auto ISO, on a canon you can set the minimum shutter speed in an autoISO sub menu.  A quick google looks like you should be able to do the same for Nikon: http://imaging.nikon.com/support/digitutor/d610/functions/autoisocontrol.html  Is that any good?   I cant use the auto shutter speed setting either, I shake too much.
I think I may have just had the maximum ISO too low at 3200 - this was indoors.  It shows a higher ISO in the viewfinder than the limit you've set (presumably the ISO it wants to use).  Seems to go for about 1/80 with a 50mm lens now, which is better.

I was going to post some pictures of the roses in the garden but it's too breezy and they won't stay still.  Sadly digital doesn't solve this curse of flower photography, since you have to shoot at f/16 (which is even darker than it sounds with a macro lens focused close) and cranking up the ISO to 25600, or whatever is needed to freeze them, would ruin the delicate tones.  I think the professionals cheat and cut the flowers for the studio.  If it's calm tomorrow morning I'll have another go.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #678 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:47:52 pm »
The D610 is a nice camera. I think the other thing the pros use for flower pics is a wind break!
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #679 on: 05 June, 2016, 08:48:23 am »
^^^ Which doubles as a dark backdrop.

I'm on a mostly-US Nikon forum where one bloke does nothing but flower shots.  "Nice one Walt". "Well done Walt". "Nailed it again, Walt". Yawn.

Think I'll go and shoot our Old English roses. Or maybe just worm the dogs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #680 on: 08 June, 2016, 07:22:50 pm »
I have a ringflash, but that would be cheating.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #681 on: 09 June, 2016, 12:29:43 am »
Also requires quite some contortion.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #682 on: 09 June, 2016, 08:08:41 am »
Trying out a 3rd party battery from http://www.exprodirect.com/batteries/. A few pennies under £13 vs around £50 for a genuine one. We'll see how it goes.

Mine have been great, especially the white versions.

I just ordered a couple of the white ones for the Sony A7Rii, and one of them was totally duff.  They've replaced it now, and the new one charges properly, and is currently in the camera, and will get a test when I go on my site visit shortly.  The other OK one, after being left filming 4K video and I walked away and left it, was flat, but at least it behaved itself properly.
Wombat

rogerzilla

« Reply #683 on: 09 June, 2016, 09:39:15 pm »
Also requires quite some contortion.
The goatse man did OK.

« Reply #684 on: 14 June, 2016, 06:57:40 pm »
X-Pro2.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #685 on: 14 June, 2016, 07:20:51 pm »

Send it back. Fuji don't do landscapes, wildlife, birds, skin blah blah blah  :P
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #686 on: 14 June, 2016, 07:22:24 pm »

La la la, not listening, can't hear you

« Reply #687 on: 14 June, 2016, 07:33:02 pm »

La la la, not listening, can't hear you

They're on the refurb store now too ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

billplumtree

« Reply #688 on: 14 June, 2016, 07:38:06 pm »

Oh, don't you start!

« Reply #689 on: 14 June, 2016, 07:52:32 pm »

Oh, don't you start!

I've got a bad feeling about this :P

billplumtree

« Reply #690 on: 14 June, 2016, 08:15:40 pm »

We had an annual bonus announced today, despite the oil price falling off a cliff.

Fuji have a cashback offer on lenses, doubled if you buy an X-Pro2 body.

What could possibly go wrong...?

« Reply #691 on: 14 June, 2016, 08:27:35 pm »

We had an annual bonus announced today, despite the oil price falling off a cliff.

Fuji have a cashback offer on lenses, doubled if you buy an X-Pro2 body.

What could possibly go wrong...?

Can't photograph skin or foliage

not that it's stopped me

« Reply #692 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:05:36 pm »
A Samyang 14mm F2.8 lens for my Sony A7Rii.  Oops.

Having thought I might get one of these, I then spotted that Wex had a second hand Samyang 10mm f2.8 for sale, so as soon as I had sold a bike frame I ordered the lens.  First impressions are good.  The distortion is well controlled but it takes some concentration not to get unwanted extra things in shot, like feet.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #693 on: 24 June, 2016, 04:44:28 pm »

I now have:

Yongnuo YN568EX II Flashgun
Yongnuo YN568EX II Flashgun
Yongnuo YN622C TTL Trigger
Yongnuo YN622C TTL Trigger
Yongnuo YN622c TX Master Unit

Neewer 2m Lightstand
Neewer 2m Lightstand

4 assorted Brollies, shoot-thru / Reflector.

Grey & White collapsible background  2m x 1.5m

The whole lot was just under £300 new.

The price of just one equivalent Canon Speedlite is around £350-£400 alone.

I reckon that to get an amateur, 2 light, setup like this using "branded" studio gear would be closer to £1500.

A Yongnuo 568 + Trigger is £100.  A Canon 600 + Pocketwizard Trigger is around £500

The Yongnuo gear is TTL and fully controllable from the TX Master unit.  It's very impressive for the price.  I'd much prefer 4 Yongnuos than 1 Canon flash, that's for sure.

The ONLY difference I can find is that Canons can be externally powered, essential for a Pro or semi-pro but not so for me (My life is already 30% devoted to recharging AAs anyway).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #694 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:27:41 am »
Bargainaceous!
Getting there...

« Reply #695 on: 11 July, 2016, 11:10:36 pm »
A dinky little Sirui tripod that fits in my carradice and will be able to fly with me to Italy this summer. Nice service from the Flash Centre in the Brunswick Centre and a price that beats the interwebs. Gorgeous little ball head. Seems very nicely built and really light. Plenty of flex at full extension but I will be using it mainly at low levels.

« Reply #696 on: 12 July, 2016, 12:03:46 am »
A Leica M4, oops. It's lovely though:)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #697 on: 21 July, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »
A Vivitar 283 + optical Slave + Tripod mount. Off-of-of Ebay for £15  (Because I can't find my old Vivitar 283... I may have Ebayed it... DOH!)

I just needed something to blast against a backdrop or as a hair-light.

I used to think my 283 was a real "cannon" but now it seems a bit feeble sat next to my Yongnuo guns.

Good enough for what I need anyway.  I now have 3 Flash guns and a selection of brollies to work with.  That's plenty for the portraits I want to do.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #698 on: 21 July, 2016, 04:48:31 pm »
Lee, what kind of optical slave did you get? I have a couple but the cheapo eBay one I got a few months ago is not as sensitive as the one I bought in Jessops many years ago. I need to get hold of a couple more.
Pen Pusher

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #699 on: 21 July, 2016, 05:07:36 pm »
Lee, what kind of optical slave did you get? I have a couple but the cheapo eBay one I got a few months ago is not as sensitive as the one I bought in Jessops many years ago. I need to get hold of a couple more.

It came attached to the 283.  Unbranded.  a 1" cube with a clear dome on the front. I haven't tried it at any distance yet but it works.

HAMA make them but I expect the get rebadged a lot.