Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 169899 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #850 on: 04 December, 2017, 05:12:31 pm »
A £20 4 way macro slider rail!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #851 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:32:23 am »
I'm not entirely sure if it counts as photography stuff entirely, but I bought a Cheerson CX-10WD-TX nanodrone.  It's a FPV (First Person View) drone, with a 720×576 sensor.

Even though it only cost me £22, it's surprisingly stable.  It's currently the highest specification CX-10 family drone, and has more bells and whistles than the others, so aside from the addition of the camera it also has altitude hold and a 2.4GHz remote control.

I can stream the video over WiFi to my phone and record it.  The accelerometers and barometric pressure sensor keep it reasonably stable, so it's quite easy to fly.

Flying around the kitchen is OK, as long as I rememeber to turn the fan heater off.  That doesn't bode well for flying it outdoors, but people do, when the wind is low, so I'll have to take it to the local park and have a go!  Because it's only 6cm by 6cm and weighs 18g, it's not entirely the ideal outdoors drone, but it will work under moderately benign conditions.

The video and picture quality is iffy, but I've had small cameras that cost more than this, and had worse picture quality, so it could be worse!

For comparison, a photo of the same subject taken with the CX-10 and my fairly old phone.

CX-10WD

Nexus 5 (Phone)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #852 on: 20 December, 2017, 05:14:32 pm »
Do spare propellers for the drone count?

44 (I ordered 40, but got some additional ones!) props, for my mobile camera fleet. ;D

Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #853 on: 20 December, 2017, 07:13:20 pm »
Do the red ones go faster?   ;D

BrianI

« Reply #854 on: 26 December, 2017, 11:16:44 am »
A nicy shiny new Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro EX DG OS HSM - Canon Fit!  ;D ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #855 on: 26 December, 2017, 02:43:04 pm »
Ooohh - enjoy. I'm sure you'll love it.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #856 on: 26 December, 2017, 05:00:56 pm »
A nicy shiny new Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro EX DG OS HSM - Canon Fit!  ;D ;D

Portrait gold.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

BrianI

« Reply #857 on: 26 December, 2017, 05:53:54 pm »

Which is actually pretty shoogly and made of cheese...

BrianI

« Reply #858 on: 26 December, 2017, 07:23:10 pm »
Ooohh - enjoy. I'm sure you'll love it.

I'm sure I will. Hopefully should be here in a couple of days!  :thumbsup:

David Martin

« Reply #859 on: 26 December, 2017, 10:16:49 pm »

name and shame so we can avoid it

BrianI

« Reply #860 on: 27 December, 2017, 05:06:50 pm »

name and shame so we can avoid it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phot-R-4-Way-Macro-Sliding-Focus-Focusing-Rail-Slider-DSLR-Camera-Tripod-Bracket/261952512782?epid=1741030008&hash=item3cfd96230e:g:iPAAAOSw8DJaBm0Q#rwid

It's a "PhOt-R" branded 4 way macro rail, model number P-4WFR.
By the time I added the weight of the canon 750d + 18-55mm kit lens + extension tubes, the gearing started slipping on the macro rail! Even with the locking nuts tightened! Not worth the hassle of trying to return it for the sake of £20. 

Seems to be a few of these same macro rails for similar prices under various brand names..  Probably fine for use with bridge cameras / compact cameras, but using them with DSLRs & macro lenses is probably pushing it a bit.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #861 on: 06 January, 2018, 12:59:37 am »
Panasonic Lumix 100-300mm mark II lens. Equivalent to 200-600mm, and not too big and heavy. Should be handy for birds and stuff.
Got it as a grey import off Ebay, combined with Ebay offer for 20% off. Works out about £300, instead of £550 at Jessops!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #862 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:21:54 pm »
I have a cheap flashgun on order, a manual Neewer to use to light my backgrounds and supplement my 2 Yongnuo speedlights.
(Neewer do amazingly OK photography stuff at very low prices, not Pro quality but usually good enough for the amateur). 

I also ordered a battery pack/portrait grip for my Canon 6D, again by Neewer and a folding 5 way reflector....by Neewer. 

It all came to £66 !!!! So it cost me my Xmas Amazon vouchers and £1.

More importantly though I'm tracking a few Canon 5D bodies (the original "Mk1"...though it obviously wasn't called that at the time). 

It's a 12.8Mp classic DSLR from 2005 (I really do believe I can refer to it as a classic as it was generally considered to be the camera that finally convinced the Pros to move away from film.)

I think it will become more of a classic over time but mostly I want it as a base for a manual FD lens, possibly a 28mm f/2.8, for walkabout/street photography.  Apparently it has a very appealing colour rendition, lost in the newer bodies.

Anyway, the 5D was always considered a superb camera.  It didn't stop being a superb camera...just that newer cameras got more features.  It's around £300 today (£3,500 in 2005)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #863 on: 11 January, 2018, 04:48:56 pm »
I have a cheap flashgun on order, a manual Neewer to use to light my backgrounds and supplement my 2 Yongnuo speedlights.
(Neewer do amazingly OK photography stuff at very low prices, not Pro quality but usually good enough for the amateur). 

I also ordered a battery pack/portrait grip for my Canon 6D, again by Neewer and a folding 5 way reflector....by Neewer. 

The lad has a Neewer battery grip for his 600D (see previous page). I think it was about 28-quid! At close look you can see it's not a genuine Canon one but it seems to do the job well enough.
Pen Pusher

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #864 on: 11 January, 2018, 05:07:05 pm »

The lad has a Neewer battery grip for his 600D (see previous page). I think it was about 28-quid! At close look you can see it's not a genuine Canon one but it seems to do the job well enough.

That's what I paid.  I want it as a portrait grip but it's also nice to have the backup of the AA battery option (though the Canon batteries last all day).

EDIT.  The Neewer battery grip/Portrait grip is excellent value for money (£28).  Comes with an AA battery insert as well.  Focus and exposure buttons in same place as main body so it's very intuitive to use on portrait mode.  Very pleased with it.

David Martin

« Reply #865 on: 15 January, 2018, 08:43:07 am »
I have some Neewer stuff and am generally very pleased with it.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #866 on: 18 January, 2018, 02:23:58 pm »
Canon 5D (awaiting its arrival)

Not the Mk4, not the Mk3, not the Mk2...the original 2005 version.

I have a full-frame Canon 6D and it produces amazing images but the 5D is something of a classic (being from the bygone era of 2005).
It's 12.8Mp and it takes photos.  No video, no Live-View, it just takes photos.
Supposedly is has a rather pleasing colour rendition.

It's going to be a home for my not-used-enough 40mm f/2.8 "Pancake" lens and perhaps a manual focus 28mm f/2.8 FD series lens. 
I like the thought of walking around with a 28mm on "hyperfocal" DoF and just snapping away at life...just as I did with my Olympus XA2.

Anyway...watch this space.

I also Ebay'd a rubber lens hood for the 40mm and a Lavalier Mic for my Samsung phone (for Vlogging)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #867 on: 19 January, 2018, 12:18:41 pm »
I bought two FPV cameras for my planes for a bargainacious price of £11 each.  Looking forward to trying them out.  I already have an FPV drone, but I wanted to add it to some fixed wing aircraft.
Getting there...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #868 on: 22 January, 2018, 01:25:16 pm »
My Canon 5D arrived.  What a gorgeous lump of classic Digitalness.

OK the rear LCD is quite possibly a Logie Baird Valve item but otherwise it seems to be in good working order in and in excellent condition for a 2005 camera.

I wish the weather were better as any photos I take today are likely to be extremely dull & grey.

Images to follow.  Scary to think that it was  approx £3,000 in 2005.  That was serious money back then.  They are fairly easy to pick up for about £250 today but I don't think that will be the case for long.

Just a snap from the Town centre using the 40mm f/2.8 "pancake" lens.

a IMG_4052 by Lee Hargreaves, on Flickr

My Babies...

a Canon Cameras a by Lee Hargreaves, on Flickr

« Reply #869 on: 24 January, 2018, 04:30:17 pm »
I use 5dmk3 now, but still have fond memories of my mk1.
Beautiful images from that camera. 

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #870 on: 24 January, 2018, 07:19:02 pm »
I use 5dmk3 now, but still have fond memories of my mk1.
Beautiful images from that camera. 

I'm working my way towards a Mk3 as the Mk2 and Mk3 become cheaper and cheaper.  I think they will all (the 5D series) become classics..with the possible exception of the Mk4.

BrianI

« Reply #871 on: 24 January, 2018, 08:09:48 pm »

That's what I paid.  I want it as a portrait grip but it's also nice to have the backup of the AA battery option (though the Canon batteries last all day).

EDIT.  The Neewer battery grip/Portrait grip is excellent value for money (£28).  Comes with an AA battery insert as well.  Focus and exposure buttons in same place as main body so it's very intuitive to use on portrait mode.  Very pleased with it.

As little as that for a battery grip? And an AA insert? Although it look like the Neewer battery grip for my 750D doesn't have an option for AA batteries... Although not really an issue as you can get third party compatible li-ion batteries for not too much money.

No photography related purchases for me for a while, spending the wrong side of £2600 on new central heating boiler + some new radiators.....   :(

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #872 on: 24 January, 2018, 11:31:06 pm »
As little as that for a battery grip? And an AA insert? Although it look like the Neewer battery grip for my 750D doesn't have an option for AA batteries... Although not really an issue as you can get third party compatible li-ion batteries for not too much money.

I get mine from here and they seem at least as good as originals for a fraction of the price

http://www.exprodirect.com/

BrianI

« Reply #873 on: 25 January, 2018, 09:43:39 am »

I get mine from here and they seem at least as good as originals for a fraction of the price

http://www.exprodirect.com/

Thanks LEE, I've bookmarked that site! I'm certainly glad I jumped ship from Pentax to Canon, at least there is a remarkably large market for third party gear for Canon & Nikon!  :thumbsup: Just a shame Canon lenses don't tend to come with lens hoods though.  And no, I'm not paying Canon prices for a lens hood for my 10-18, and 18-55mm canon lenses!

« Reply #874 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:42:57 am »
Do Instagram followers count?