Author Topic: Avoiding extra duties when ordering equipment for the EU.  (Read 1388 times)

Avoiding extra duties when ordering equipment for the EU.
« on: 03 August, 2021, 04:56:08 pm »
Hey up,
I'm after ordering some gear online for an upcoming trip in France.
Im not resident in UK, and the stuff will remain in France after the tour.
In the past I have used wiggle and a couple of other UK based online warehouses.
Im not sure of the exact situ now but don't want to get nailed with avoidable extra charges if it can be avoided. I understand post Brexit this is a pitfall.
Has anyone dealt with this  situation themselves or have suggestions for an alternative?
Im located in Bermuda where shipping and duties are eye watering too so, aside from the faff of carrying them on the flight, Im keen to have them sent direct.
ta.
often lost.

Re: Avoiding extra duties when ordering equipment for the EU.
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2021, 05:45:56 pm »
Which country will the stuff be ordered from and delivered to?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2021, 05:58:34 pm »
The obvious question is do you have an address in France you could order stuff to? Presumably not or it would be easy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2021, 06:04:56 pm »
The obvious question is do you have an address in France you could order stuff to? Presumably not or it would be easy.

Ahh yes, I have a holiday home in France and someone who can take receipt of the order.
So when you say its easy, I can simply proceed as normal, order from wiggle, cycle store etc and have it delivered no bovver?
often lost.

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2021, 06:05:47 pm »
Which country will the stuff be ordered from and delivered to?

UK to France, unless that incurs extra duties.
often lost.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2021, 06:06:03 pm »
Order from one of the German suppliers instead.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2021, 06:21:54 pm »

Ahh yes, I have a holiday home in France and someone who can take receipt of the order.
So when you say its easy, I can simply proceed as normal, order from wiggle, cycle store etc and have it delivered no bovver?
No. Not that simple! But you could order from a French (German, Dutch, etc) supplier, like Rose or Bike 24. Depending what you want, they're often cheaper anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2021, 06:27:14 pm »

No. Not that simple! But you could order from a French (German, Dutch, etc) supplier, like Rose or Bike 24. Depending what you want, they're often cheaper anyway.

Thanks that's pretty much answered my Q.  Avoid the UK outfits and use one of those mentioned. cheers.
often lost.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2021, 08:40:24 pm »
Order from one of the German suppliers instead.

This. There's very little on wiggle that isn't better bought from the Germans. German stores also seem to have a lot more stock than the UK right now.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2021, 09:48:53 pm »
A word of caution before everyone says it is too easy. Going in the other direction I have just tried to order an item (a drum skin) from Gear4music in the UK to send to my daughter (the drum that needs it is coming in with me next week). It was not possible because the website refused to allow me to send to a delivery address that was not in the same country as the invoice address which was my card address (in France). I do not know if paying through Paypal would have avoided this - as it was I ordered from Germany to be delivered to me in France. I think for 10€ I can take the risk of paying UK Customs (unless they want to charge me on the whole contents of the car if musical supplies are treated like books, non-exempt. Customs can be a bit of a bugger sometimes).
OTOH Spa told me they would be happy to be paid on my french card and send stuff to my daughter in England. But that was with a personal contact rather than on-line.

It might well be a case of seeing if Paypal is a less-territorially limited way of paying than a straight Mastercard or whatever transaction.

You don't have a french bank account and card as well? That would solve a lot of problems but usually the "justificatif de domicile" (your address!) poses problems - although if you pay for your water or electricity you should have an invoice that will serve for this.