Author Topic: Base training  (Read 251582 times)

rob

Re: Base training
« Reply #1075 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:13:04 pm »
New plan starts Monday.   Waiting to receive it over the weekend.

I’ll be 100% turbo for the foreseeable future.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1076 on: 02 November, 2018, 07:46:40 pm »
still living the life of excuses - two weeks ago came down with minor cold, last week slipped on wet leaves and bashed my knee..

one day!

(although still doing my longish weekly rides every weekend so not feeling too guilty)

rob

« Reply #1077 on: 03 November, 2018, 01:04:55 pm »
Dug out an old 90min workout.  I had the resistance a notch too high to start off with but settled in during the warm up.  The new race position is comfortable and I voluntarily added an extra 30 mins.   All seems OK which is a good job as I foresee a lot of hours on there for the next couple of months.

Bit galling that it’s sunny outside, though.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1078 on: 05 November, 2018, 08:28:37 pm »
i've lost my capacity for suffering for some reason, aborted the ramp test at 175bpm (should have reached 188). i'll be doing the workouts at a guessed ftp level and take it from there as cba to do the test once again.

simonp

« Reply #1079 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:10:20 pm »
i've lost my capacity for suffering for some reason, aborted the ramp test at 175bpm (should have reached 188). i'll be doing the workouts at a guessed ftp level and take it from there as cba to do the test once again.

Could be fatigue meaning you under-performed.

simonp

« Reply #1080 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:10:45 pm »
Hunter - 4 today. Went well.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1081 on: 05 November, 2018, 11:31:28 pm »

Could be fatigue meaning you under-performed.

that's a possibility as i've done a fairly easy 200k over the weekend. my legs weren't sore today, so i thought it's a good day for a test.

Samuel D

« Reply #1082 on: 06 November, 2018, 08:16:10 am »
How much does air temperature affect heart rate? I hit 208 BPM twice in the summer but haven’t come close since despite similar efforts on the road.

rob

« Reply #1083 on: 06 November, 2018, 08:22:18 am »
How much does air temperature affect heart rate? I hit 208 BPM twice in the summer but haven’t come close since despite similar efforts on the road.

Not particularly scientific, but lots.   Getting my HR up in a cold garage in Winter is really difficult.   In the Summer with the doors open and a fan on it's hard to keep a lid on it.

Chris S

« Reply #1084 on: 06 November, 2018, 08:26:18 am »

Not particularly scientific, but lots.   Getting my HR up in a cold garage in Winter is really difficult.   In the Summer with the doors open and a fan on it's hard to keep a lid on it.
Not only that, but once it's up, it doesn't come down again. One reason we aborted a 1000 in France a couple of years ago was because it was 38c and my HR would go up on the climbs, but not recover properly on the descents, so it was basically red lined all the time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1085 on: 06 November, 2018, 08:32:50 am »
i can only train indoors (at a right intensity) during the cool season otherwise hr goes up too much. my ideal training temperature is around 18'c combined with a floor fan.

« Reply #1086 on: 06 November, 2018, 09:00:02 am »
I really struggle to get going if I'm too cold.  When it's warm I put the fan on at the start or after the warmup, but I suffered massively on the ramp test when I did that the other day, even with a load of clothing on! It was much better when I didn't turn the fan on at all! Likewise, since then I've done the warmup and the first interval block before turning the fan on.

simonp

« Reply #1087 on: 06 November, 2018, 01:25:02 pm »
I got the new Wahoo Kickr Headwind fan.

So now the fan runs slowly when I'm warming up, and when it gets tough, the fan automatically blasts me with air.

« Reply #1088 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:22:10 pm »
That thing is seriously expensive though isn't it?
I have a dumb trainer - it's not going to do much with one of them. I should get a second fan, stick them both on low power and then use remove mains switches to turn them on and off. That would probably cost 50 quid (and mean that in the summer I can actually keep cool ish).

Chris S

« Reply #1089 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:28:53 pm »

Quite! If you want to see just how far you can take this indoor cycling malarky though, check out Shane Miller - GPLama on You Tube.

« Reply #1090 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:49:05 pm »
So, what trainers etc are people using.

I've got a Tacx Bushido and run TrainerRoad on my laptop. All can run without electricity in the shed, but I need the extension for the £30 4 speed fan.

I do fancy a direct drive trainer and tele though - only if the bonus permits...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1091 on: 06 November, 2018, 06:09:45 pm »
I'm still on an original version kickr - did ponder buying the latest version and selling this one as then I could use my through axle bike on it if I needed to (setting up ride position seems about the only main advantage there )
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1092 on: 06 November, 2018, 06:39:58 pm »
I get loads of wheel spin on Mr Smith's Vortex- I can't do anything standing on it and find the lag on intervals really annoying. I'm going to treat myself to a direct drive, but am dithering as to which. The new Flux S and Flux 2 are out in a couple of weeks but I'm not sure if I want to beta test them. It's looking like the Direto will 'win'.

« Reply #1093 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:48:41 pm »
I've got a Tacx Booster. It's wheel on, but it deals with my through axle bike fine, and I don't see any need to change really. I run TR on my phone, using an elastic band to hold it to the stem/GPS mount.
I fancy getting some rollers and see if I can ride my fixie on them (and maybe my daughter too :) ).

« Reply #1094 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:57:55 pm »
I've got a Tacx "Ironman" - actually a Genius with another name. I'm very likely to swap out soon for a Direct Drive if anyone wants to make an offer.

« Reply #1095 on: 06 November, 2018, 09:35:18 pm »
Having swapped from a vortex to a neo, I'd say direct drive is a must for me - I don't have boab's torque, but I still got occasional slippage. The main thing is the silence.

simonp

« Reply #1096 on: 06 November, 2018, 10:44:33 pm »
I have a dumb trainer - it's not going to do much with one of them. I should get a second fan, stick them both on low power and then use remove mains switches to turn them on and off. That would probably cost 50 quid (and mean that in the summer I can actually keep cool ish).

It doesn’t need a smart trainer. I connect my heart rate belt to it and fan speed is controlled from there.

Donated my old fan to the rowing club.

simonp

« Reply #1097 on: 06 November, 2018, 10:46:58 pm »
I get loads of wheel spin on Mr Smith's Vortex- I can't do anything standing on it and find the lag on intervals really annoying. I'm going to treat myself to a direct drive, but am dithering as to which. The new Flux S and Flux 2 are out in a couple of weeks but I'm not sure if I want to beta test them. It's looking like the Direto will 'win'.

I tried out a Direto at an open evening at an LBS. It had a good feel, seemed to do the job.

simonp

« Reply #1098 on: 06 November, 2018, 10:47:49 pm »
I had a v1 Kickr which I sold last year and bought a Neo as retail therapy when I had my wrist injury keeping me out of rowing.

« Reply #1099 on: 06 November, 2018, 11:59:14 pm »
I know some of the latest trainers are silent, but how much vibration do they transmit through the floor?

I live in a first floor flat and I'd love to be able to train indoors, I just don't want to annoy the downstairs neighbours. There's only so much that various bits of matting would help blot out.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."