Author Topic: Cycling Prescription glasses  (Read 4736 times)

Cycling Prescription glasses
« on: 25 October, 2022, 11:59:46 pm »
I'm having trouble locating a very specific combination  Does anyone know where I can get prescription cycling glasses that are Photochromic and also Bi-focal ?
I can find prescription and photochromic and even a limited choice with both those and also vari-focal, which I can't wear.
but no where can I find Cycling glasses with photochromic prescription bi focal lenses .

Re: Cycling Prescription glasses
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2022, 12:35:35 am »
Unless your prescription is really unusual Optilabs can supply what you’re asking for, sample style . Not the cheapest or most fashionable, but effective. I have a similar pair.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2022, 03:19:13 pm »
Unless your prescription is really unusual Optilabs can supply what you’re asking for, sample style . Not the cheapest or most fashionable, but effective. I have a similar pair.
Thank you for this !

« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2022, 04:42:43 pm »

I can also recommend Optilabs.  They are quick and efficient, although as Séamas says the glasses are not the most fashionable, and you will either have to have prescription lenses behind a single large mono lens (if that makes sense) or two separate lenses in the glasses for proper prescription lenses.  Personally I hate my eyelashes rubbing on the separate secondary lenses behind the large single lens so went for the less trendy twin lens glasses.  They will send you samples free of charge, including a free return label, so that you can try them on before you buy.

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2022, 05:02:16 pm »
I've also used Optilabs for bi-focal, reactive cycling glasses.  They work well in various conditions, only caveat (which I think is common to all such) is the reaction time for a sudden change in lighting conditions, for example going into a dark underpass or bridge.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2022, 08:06:49 pm »

Another happy Optilabs customer. Have had two pairs now, very happy with them.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2022, 01:03:15 am »
What are the normal photosensitive ones like at night?
I choked when I saw the 300 quid cost of drive line but realized its much the same as 2 pairs.

Currently using a pair from tifosi that was 130 quid with interchangeable lenses and an insert but not sure I'd take that approach again.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 27 October, 2022, 01:45:44 am »
I choked when I saw the 300 quid cost of drive line but realized its much the same as 2 pairs.

Currently using a pair from tifosi that was 130 quid with interchangeable lenses and an insert but not sure I'd take that approach again.

Just like any other glasses. They go clear with no tint. One of the things I love about them, they just match the tint to the brightness level andI I don't have to worry about changing glasses as the sun sets.

I really recommend them. Makes things really simple.

J
--

« Reply #8 on: 27 October, 2022, 07:46:07 am »
I’ve yet to feel like my optician bought (varifocal, photo sensitive) glasses are holding me back on the bike.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 27 October, 2022, 08:43:06 am »
QG: Ah ideal! I've seen many sights say their normal photosensitive lenses aren't suitable for night driving but now I think of it dad wore photosensitive for years particularly because at 700 quid a pair he wasn't having spares.
(varifocals, photosensitive and a load of other gumbpf, all sorted by laser surgery now which is weird, it's like the time he shaved his beard off)

PDan: I've forgotten my normal glasses a few times, there's something different I can't quite place but it may just be because I wore normal cycling glasses until I realized I needed to wear my prescription for the sake of reading signs in time.

« Reply #10 on: 27 October, 2022, 08:44:29 am »
Now I've had both cataract operations, I am going to reward myself with some prescription cycling glasses with ALL the bells and whistles! Probably from Optilabs.
As Little Jim commented, be cautious about prescription inserts (the small extra clip in lens). My eylashes caught on the insert every time I blinked. Not only irritating, but the tiniest amount of condensation, rain or sunscreen and they were worse than useless.
I did try the glasses on before buying, but of course at that stage the insert was not glazed, so I didn't realise it would be a problem.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 27 October, 2022, 10:11:11 am »
QG: Ah ideal! I've seen many sights say their normal photosensitive lenses aren't suitable for night driving but now I think of it dad wore photosensitive for years particularly because at 700 quid a pair he wasn't having spares.
(varifocals, photosensitive and a load of other gumbpf, all sorted by laser surgery now which is weird, it's like the time he shaved his beard off)

My normal glasses are also photosensitive and they are just fine for driving in too. I think the idea that photosensitive glasses aren't suitable at night is out of date.

J
--

« Reply #12 on: 27 October, 2022, 11:22:39 am »

Just like any other glasses. They go clear with no tint. One of the things I love about them, they just match the tint to the brightness level andI I don't have to worry about changing glasses as the sun sets.

I really recommend them. Makes things really simple.

J
These sound absolutely ideal and recommended by a few here, thank you for this

« Reply #13 on: 27 October, 2022, 11:24:15 am »
I've also used Optilabs for bi-focal, reactive cycling glasses.  They work well in various conditions, only caveat (which I think is common to all such) is the reaction time for a sudden change in lighting conditions, for example going into a dark underpass or bridge.

I  may go with these, the scenario you describe is no worse than wearing my current dark lens on a sunny day to be fair

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 27 October, 2022, 11:50:00 am »

My normal glasses are also photosensitive and they are just fine for driving in too. I think the idea that photosensitive glasses aren't suitable at night is out of date.

I think there's a little bit of attenuation compared to un-tinted lenses, but it's basically undetectable in the real world.  I think they used to be a lot less good; I first encountered them when my uncle had some in the 80s, which went from light brown to dark brown.

The real issue with driving in photochromic lenses is that you don't get enough UV through the windscreen for them to darken properly in bright conditions.

« Reply #15 on: 27 October, 2022, 12:41:16 pm »

I think there's a little bit of attenuation compared to un-tinted lenses, but it's basically undetectable in the real world.  I think they used to be a lot less good; I first encountered them when my uncle had some in the 80s, which went from light brown to dark brown.

The real issue with driving in photochromic lenses is that you don't get enough UV through the windscreen for them to darken properly in bright conditions.

Yea my partner has them and they don't work in the car or even under a peaked cap, but for cycling they are going to be what I need I think

« Reply #16 on: 27 October, 2022, 05:16:55 pm »
no where can I find Cycling glasses with photochromic prescription bi focal lenses .
I got mine from my high street independent optician (i.e. not a chain)

Not the cheapest way of doing it, but I get on well with them.
There's an area to the side of the bifocal bit that you see through when looking over your shoulder, so there's good distance vision for stuff behind too, which I feel would be unlikely with varifocals.

« Reply #17 on: 27 October, 2022, 05:49:21 pm »
I purchased a pair from my independent optician, their recommendation for cycling.
They were totally useless. Didn't keep the draught out, and had dreadful peripheral vision - I couldn't do a quick glance over shouder for traffic. Eventually, I googled the manufacturer and found they were very highly rated for contact sports and things like squash and netball, where there is a risk of being hit in the eye. Never got round to taking them back, due to injury, then covid etc.

« Reply #18 on: 27 October, 2022, 07:49:31 pm »

PDan: I've forgotten my normal glasses a few times, there's something different I can't quite place but it may just be because I wore normal cycling glasses until I realized I needed to wear my prescription for the sake of reading signs in time.

Ah. I'm short sighted enough to notice a lack of glasses before i get to the front door. :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 28 October, 2022, 01:07:51 pm »
Yeah I just get a stinking headache after reading anything for a bit and can't read road signs until its too late.

« Reply #20 on: 28 October, 2022, 06:50:32 pm »
The insert solution is like going back in time. I found out when it was raining or steamed up with condensation whilst climbing they reduced your vision to a dangerous level. When coming home from work  through dark lanes you were riding on a wing and a prayer. Now I use a pair of Leader (company name) glasses. I think they could be used for quite a few sports where you might need a bit of help. Sourced from my friendly local optician.

« Reply #21 on: 28 October, 2022, 07:42:39 pm »
It was Leader sports glasses that my optician sold to me at a extortionate price (I should not have been so gullible).
They had a dangerous lack of peripheral vision so I couldn't glance back for trafffic - designed for contaact and racket sports, not cycling

« Reply #22 on: 29 October, 2022, 08:33:55 pm »
I’m planning to give Optilabs a go in the next few weeks - varifocals.

Their positive responses to the questions “can I visit to make sure the PD is right?”, "do you open at weekends?” and “can I bring my bike inside?” swung it for me  :)

They are also able to make use of my existing Rudy Project frames so that’s another bonus.

« Reply #23 on: 29 October, 2022, 09:04:54 pm »
I have mixed experiences of Optilabs.  My first pair (photochromic varifocals) are excellent.  I got another pair a year later on a newer prescription (clear varifocals), but I have a real problem with depth perception when wearing them - I have never worked out why.  So I basically stick to the first pair.  No problems using the photochromics for night riding.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #24 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:36:25 am »
Very positive experience with Optilabs.  I have a pair of bifocals with the Transitions 5 lenses, and I've been very pleased with them.  I don't use them at night, they go almost clear, but not quite.  During the day they are great.

On holiday I managed to pull off and lose the rubber earpiece on one of the arms.  Sunday night I emailed Optilabs to see if they could supply a replacement.  I had a reply yesterday morning, and this morning two new arms arrived in the post.  I think thats great service.