Author Topic: Is it possible to redrill a 24hole hub for 36holes?  (Read 2350 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Is it possible to redrill a 24hole hub for 36holes?
« Reply #25 on: 08 October, 2023, 11:26:40 pm »
So you weren't sure if a hub would be strong enough for you (despite reputable manufacturers making those hubs, staking their reputations on them, and still being reputable manufacturers without a string of negligence cases), but you thought that doing a bodge modification to the hub would make it stronger? 

My mind boggles.

« Reply #26 on: 10 October, 2023, 12:59:03 pm »
Bolt-on flanges onto flanges was something mtb'ers were known to do in the mid 90's when disc brakes were first becoming available. Hubs were still an expensive upgrade so someone came up with the idea of bolting a disc mount and new spoke flange onto an existing hub flange, using the spoke holes for the bolts.  An engineering marvel but ultimately not great idea. You could in theory do something similar to change the number of spoke holes, however its way down the lane of questionable ideas  :P

While not common, there were 2 or 3 brands that sold versions of these.
(i couldnt find an image of any sales ads that i remember seeing in MBR/MTBA?MBUK of the time, so here is a retrobikepost)

« Reply #27 on: 10 October, 2023, 04:41:58 pm »
So you weren't sure if a hub would be strong enough for you (despite reputable manufacturers making those hubs, staking their reputations on them, and still being reputable manufacturers without a string of negligence cases), but you thought that doing a bodge modification to the hub would make it stronger? 

My mind boggles.

Was more a point of interest in terms of evolution of design and engineering, not something I’d do.