Author Topic: Any solderers out there, who for a fee, will extend my Edelux II cable?  (Read 818 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Like a divvy, when I installed a new fork crown mounted Edelux II onto a 26" wheeled bike a few years ago. Instead of hiding all the excess cable up the hollow steerer tube, I got the bloody snips out ::-)

That bike is no longer in service and I want to run the Edelux on a newfangled bicycle - except its 700C, has an undrilled carbon fibre/platic fork crown and therefore the lamp has to be mounted at handlebar height >:(

I have the excess cable I cut off. Would love to have it soldered and heart shrinked back on*

Cheque book/Paypal at the ready for your expertise and labour, plus postage to and back (unless anywhere near me in Snowdonia)

* (I do have one of those SON 2-Pole Connection for SON-Coaxial Cable - Connector Set Male & Female

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/schmidt-2pole-connection-for-soncoaxial-cable-connector-set-male-female/

But would much prefer to just permanently rejoin the 'snipped cable)

Re: Any solderers out there, who for a fee, will extend my Edelux II cable?
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2023, 08:18:57 pm »
I never solder the cables. Just twist the wires together on each core, and then wrap separately with black tape, then heatshrink tube them together.

« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2023, 08:29:17 pm »
If you buy a soldering iron and you only use it once, it would have paid for itself.

« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2023, 10:14:37 pm »
Unusually I differ from HF and do solder cables. If you’re local I’ll do it without charge. Happy for you to post it if you want to, if you think the cost is worth it. I’m in wiring mode at the mo on another job so the iron is out and warmed up.

Trying to recall if the Edelux has coaxial cable or twin? Either way shouldn’t be beyond the wit of man!

« Reply #4 on: 03 October, 2023, 10:17:04 pm »
My approach would be to find out If  it comes apart easily and If so replace the entire cable..If it's too complex then yes joint and sleeve.
Although you could DIY I and several others on this forum have years of experience, bits of heatshrink, the right connectors and quality soldering kit. I'm happy to help for parts cost plus P&P

« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2023, 10:28:12 pm »
Two offers already..
I dismantled and rewired a damaged supernova (co-ax) with a heavy duty twin cable as all my hubs are SP or old style Schmidt.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2023, 10:47:11 am »
Thanks folks 🙏 PM on its way to sojournermike  :)

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2023, 04:06:50 pm »
 :thumbsup: Many many thanks to sojournermike for his fab soldering skills :thumbsup: