Author Topic: Struggling with 11 speed quick links  (Read 1267 times)

Struggling with 11 speed quick links
« on: 05 October, 2023, 07:20:52 pm »
I recently transitioned to an 11 speed transmission and have encountered an unexpected problem, getting the quick links to engage fully. I've huffed and puffed, tried pretty much every little trick i personally know and still cant get the things to engage fully. Even the time honoured bodge of partial engagement and a spin around the block isnt working. A related question, is there a size specific chain link tool? Im trying to use my current variant which worked fine on 9 speed but isnt working on 11 speed

Am i missing something obvious?.

Thanks in advance

A

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Struggling with 11 speed quick links
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2023, 07:31:51 pm »
You need a Super B TB-3323 Connecting Link Plier - it works with 11 speed - and it opens & closes magic links.  The Park magic link version is OK BUT it only opens the links.

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2023, 08:02:42 pm »
Make sure link is on top part of chain. Stamp on pedal

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2023, 10:59:47 pm »
Also, make sure everything is scrupulously clean - free from grit or anything that would stop the two halves from being pushed fully home.

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2023, 07:40:55 am »

IME - then scrabble around on the workshop floor looking for the two bits  >:(   - that's 10 & 11 speed IME, up to 9 the technique seems to work.

« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2023, 07:54:20 am »

Tried this on the initial chain installation and it worked. Hasn’t worked on subsequent efforts, though

A

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 06 October, 2023, 07:55:54 am »
You need a Super B TB-3323 Connecting Link Plier - it works with 11 speed - and it opens & closes magic links.  The Park magic link version is OK BUT it only opens the links.

Just what I've needed for years.  I've been using a circlip spreader to relink and it's not great.

Thanks, Rob!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2023, 12:12:58 am »
Do the initial make-up on the lower run of chain, where the rear mech arm will give you slack to work.
Make sure the link is clean.
It should make up partially and be visibly partially made up. The groove in the pin should be partially engaged in the slot of the side plates.

Run it round to the top run of chain. It will clatter a bit through the cassette.
If the bike is on a stand, I've always found firm hand pressure on the pedals against a braked back wheel to be sufficient.
Otherwise, straddle the bike and holding the brakes on, apply pedal pressure to tension the chain.

It if pingfuckits at this point, then the initial makeup was not done properly...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 07 October, 2023, 07:44:47 am »
I use ~4" of wire bent into a hook at each end to take the tension off the two free ends while I fiddle with the link.

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:23:05 am »
I use ~4" of wire bent into a hook at each end to take the tension off the two free ends while I fiddle with the link.

I have a similar "tool" made from an old spoke - this is the inspiration (the black ring serves no purpose)   https://www.rosebikes.com/birzman-chain-assembly-fixer-2666379 - hooking it into one link in from each end of the chain gives you some slack to fit the magic link and apply the pliers if it doesn't close by hand.

« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:34:36 am »
The chain-link pliers are the way to go.  For the sake of a tenner or less they will save a lot of messing around and filthy hands.
The sound of one pannier flapping

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2023, 05:24:05 pm »

I have a similar "tool" made from an old spoke - this is the inspiration (the black ring serves no purpose)   https://www.rosebikes.com/birzman-chain-assembly-fixer-2666379 - hooking it into one link in from each end of the chain gives you some slack to fit the magic link and apply the pliers if it doesn't close by hand.

I have a Topeak multitool that includes a shiny version of my bit of wire.  Never used it - I'd probably lose it in the grass at the roadside.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:45:29 pm »
never had this problem with 11 speed links
mostly use connex links but also fine with kmc

« Reply #13 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:47:58 pm »
never had this problem with 11 speed links
mostly use connex links but also fine with kmc

Campag chain doesn't have a quick-link, just a special pin.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:51:54 pm »
when I had campag I used connex chains with connex links instead

« Reply #15 on: 07 October, 2023, 10:04:59 pm »
when I had campag I used connex chains with connex links instead

One downside of the pin is that it's difficult, when oiling the chain, to see when you've reached the point you started from.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: 08 October, 2023, 08:19:15 pm »
curse of the commentor

As soon as i mentioned that I'd never had trouble with "quick links" I opened a pack of a new Ultegra chain and a "quick link" fell out

How difficult can it be, I wondered.  After a few minutes involving a vice and a cold chisel, yes quite difficult

The link is installed.  The chain is fine.  Don't think I will bother with Shimano quick links again