Author Topic: Mudguards  (Read 996 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Mudguards
« on: 08 October, 2023, 01:33:39 pm »
I've had a set of SKS Bluemels Olympic Racer Mudguards (700x35) on my Roberts for a few years but have always seemed to have a problem with the rear mudguard. Despite it being fixed in all the right places (chainstay bridge and seat stay bridge) it's always had a problem with twisting during rides and ending up rubbing the wheel. When I was looking at putting them back on this morning the rear guard is incredibly flexible so we wondered if a stiffer guard would help.

Pingu's ones, which seem to be Tortec Reflector guards (because his bike eats SKS for some reason) do not have this issue, (maybe because they are not a single curve across the width?) so I was about to order a set of those, but it looks as if they are unobtainium. :(

Any alternative recommendations to save me having to actually look in a bike shop?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Mudguards
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2023, 01:59:49 pm »
I used to have the same issue, it was caused by the guard twisting on the chainstay bridge bolt, I added a second one using the clip supplied with new guards and it's been fine since.  If you have a rack, you can also stiffen up the guards with an additional attachment point and shorter stays to that rather than the dropout.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2023, 02:16:27 pm »
Hmm, I did wonder whether using a 'saddle washer' at the chainstay bridge might help.
Not sure what you mean about the rack attachment? I do have a rack.

« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2023, 03:18:14 pm »
Not sure what you mean about the rack attachment? I do have a rack.
This is the Tubus specific product, just needs a hole in the centre of the guard and a bolt dropping through.
https://www.tubus.com/en/products/accessories-rear-carriers/tubus-product/mudguard-holder
Alternatively, wherever the the guard and rack are in close proximity, there'll be a way to fix them together.
Short stays to the rack is the way Thorn have been doing it for years:

(Not my bike)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2023, 03:59:41 pm »
Thanks. That's interesting, though I think the stay end is relatively ok, it seems to be the front end of the guard that has the issue. I'll have to have a look and see if anything's bodgable.
I did also wonder if a bit of zinc roofing tape type stuff in the guard might stiffen it.

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2023, 04:07:38 pm »
I’ve fitted a pair of Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders to a bike and they seem pretty good - and easy to fit. Provided you’ve clearance the 700x37 would seem to be an ideal replacement.

They are expensive though and don’t have a reflector, and therefore a hole for a mudguard light. They’re pricey enough that I’m not drilling mine. You can get them from Condor.

If you’re near North Yorkshire I’m sure I’ve also got some cast off plastics somewhere that you’d be welcome to have.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2023, 04:49:45 pm »
IIRC from when I ran an LBS the SKS Bluemels were the cheaper alternative to the main SKS mudguard products - I think that the shape/curvature is probably your issue - the Bluemels are mostly just a curve whereas the top quality SKS have a couple of slight angles across the width that makes them a little more rigid.

I've got SKS on one bike and because of the tight clearance Tortecs on the other machine with guards - both are pretty rigid

« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2023, 05:03:28 pm »
I have some Flinger mudguards made from Polycarbonate and they seem to do the job.

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2023, 07:19:55 pm »
I've got the Bluemels, the shape is like a semi circle. They don't move out of position.

It might be the brackets at the brake and chainstay bridges are not firmly fixed in place and they are moving around from road vibration.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2023, 11:19:29 am »
I've installed a saddle washer at the chainstay bridge. Not fully convinced it's going to stop the problem but I'll find out next time the weather's fit to ride it.
2023-10-14_11-14-10 by The Pingus, on Flickr