Author Topic: Leaky headset?  (Read 738 times)

Leaky headset?
« on: 09 October, 2023, 02:12:25 pm »
After a mysterious greasy black mark began to repeatedly appear on the inside of my left knee, I've finally tracked down the source to black goo oozing out of my headset. I've never done any headset maintenance on this bike in the 12 years I've had it. Should I have been doing anything? why should it be leaking out? do I need to top it up? with what kid of grease? I'm baffled.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Leaky headset?
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2023, 02:33:17 pm »
Slightly surprised that your knee is in contact with headset . . .

Sounds like the headset needs a service - clean the bearings, fork crown and bearing surfaces in the headtube of the frame (by the sound of it replace them as they're probably worn out - the "black stuff" may be ground up ball-bearings suspended in grease!!), re-grease and reassemble with correct torque settings etc.

Simple 30 minute job if you have the tools . . . there are quite a few types and sizes of bearings, you can't be certain what you have until you get it all apart.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 October, 2023, 02:39:02 pm »

Recumbent?

« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2023, 02:44:41 pm »

I don't recall how it happened, to be honest, because it wasn't the first place I thought to check, but the evidence suggests it's a habit. In fact, having just gone downstairs and tried it out, it's when waiting at the lights or a junction. standingforwards of the saddle, right foot down, left knee up poised ready to accelerate away as soon as it's safe

the "black stuff" may be ground up ball-bearings suspended in grease!!
:sick:

While I do do most of my own maintenance, this might be a bit much for little old me. No doubt I'd take it apart, then not have the right parts or tools to replace and the bike would be u/s for weeks. I only have the one bike, so being up on blocks for any time isn't really an option. I'll chat to the bike shop.
thanks very much

« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2023, 02:45:39 pm »

Recumbent?

No, I'm afraid not.

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:42:23 am »
Since I was in the bikeshop getting my wheel trued after an off, I ponied up the £70 to get the headset sorted (30 labour/40 parts). So far I've only ridden it home, but its' noticeably different in a good way. Maybe I'll get my descnding chops back again, now it feels more responsive
Also had to endure much teeth sucking at the state of my wheel bearings (graunchy) and frame (what have you done to this? I wouldn't ride it - used it as my everything bike for several years...)