Author Topic: Cycling jacket with rear pocket  (Read 1212 times)

Cycling jacket with rear pocket
« on: 17 October, 2023, 09:39:59 pm »
It is annoying that rear pockets on cycling jackets have gone out of fashion! Please save me from looking at all the cycling jacket photos on the internet... Does anyone know of a waterproof cycling jacket with a big rear pocket?

This is for my partner, largely for commuting. Ideally a pretty rugged jacket. Happy to spend a decent sum for something which will last. Am currently looking at the Showers pass jackets - which have a rear pocket, but it is offset so only good for right-handed access! Any other brands I should be looking at?

Re: Cycling jacket with rear pocket
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2023, 04:03:29 pm »
Avoid the Showers Pass jackets with the sloping pocket, it's an absolutely terrible design. Everything ends up stuffed down the end of the pocket and, as you say, it'll be even harder for left handers.
The front venting on mine is crap as well and, the final icing on the cake is that it wasn't very breathable when I used it for the 1st time in sustained rain a couple of weekends ago.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2023, 05:02:21 pm »
Keela Saxon, has hood, side and back pockets

https://keelaoutdoors.com/product/saxon-jacket/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2023, 08:05:50 am »
Keela Saxon, has hood, side and back pockets

https://keelaoutdoors.com/product/saxon-jacket/

adjustable hood to fit over helmets

Good way to die.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2023, 06:43:13 pm »
Andrew - thanks very much - you have saved us a fortune! Not being breathable would have driven my partner mad.

Fifeing - also thanks! He is unlikely to go for a hood for a cycling jacket (in agreement with T42) but this looks great for non-cycling usage, where he also would prefer a large rear pocket for stowing gloves.

:thumbsup:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2023, 06:57:45 pm »
I usually keep it rolled up and behind me, doesn't bounce around like others.
It's mostly there for mtbers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2023, 07:31:47 pm »
Hoods are eminently useful things on cycle jackets for touring, where you're likely to find yourself wearing them to protect you from Weather off the bike at some point.  To that end it's useful if they can be tucked away or detached.

« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2023, 08:43:35 pm »
The front venting on mine is crap as well and, the final icing on the cake is that it wasn't very breathable when I used it for the 1st time in sustained rain a couple of weekends ago.
They use the same membrane type materials as most other cycling jacket manufacturers, I can't see how it would be any less, or more, breathable.  There's more than one SP jacket though, so maybe your dissatisfaction doesn't apply across the range.
I like mine, mainly for the venting, but you can't please everyone  :)
Don't like the back pockets though, those that have them, so at least we agree on something. 

« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2023, 10:27:54 pm »
My Hilltrek Greenspot is still going strong after 15 years. Ventile, so no fuss about coatings wearing out and all that malarky.
What a great buy!
 Sadly, I see that current ones no longer have the rear pockets, which I find really useful for hats, gloves and the like.
You may be able to pick an older model up on ebay or similar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2023, 11:35:28 pm »
My Hilltrek Greenspot is still going strong after 15 years. Ventile, so no fuss about coatings wearing out and all that malarky.
What a great buy!
 Sadly, I see that current ones no longer have the rear pockets, which I find really useful for hats, gloves and the like.
You may be able to pick an older model up on ebay or similar.
In fact I have one of those with rear pockets (though nowhere near 15 years old) I've been meaning to get around to selling.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2023, 01:41:47 pm »
They use the same membrane type materials as most other cycling jacket manufacturers, I can't see how it would be any less, or more, breathable.  There's more than one SP jacket though, so maybe your dissatisfaction doesn't apply across the range.
I like mine, mainly for the venting, but you can't please everyone  :)
Don't like the back pockets though, those that have them, so at least we agree on something.

I was also wearing a very old pair of Goretex waterproof trousers (it was that kind of day) and my bottom half was much less sweaty.
I think that the problem with the jacket is that the DWR treatment isn't very D and the fabric quickly wet out and stopped breathing effectively.
That might mean that the old trousers have a PFAS containing finish !