Author Topic: Chain lube for a Brompton  (Read 1178 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Chain lube for a Brompton
« on: 28 October, 2023, 02:31:44 pm »
Hello all,

I was a "purple extreme" fan from my audax years but in France and in the EU it is unobtainium (really happy if you can prove me wrong on this one) unless you are ready to pay 50€ to get it direct from the US through Amazon or ebay!

So now I use random lubes I buy at my local bike shop and I hate it, especially on my Brompton as the muck ends up everywhere including on my work clothes...

Anybody has a good alternative ? I would like something that doesn't wash off at the first rain, doesn't "vacuum" all the dust/grit from the road and that helps me keep the bike frame reasonably clean.

Sometimes I think that wax could be a solution even if means having 3 chains that I keep rotating... yes, I am that desperate!
Chief cat entertainer.

Re: Chain lube for a Brompton
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2023, 02:37:18 pm »
Wax is a no-no for my Brompton as it’s used in all weathers and wax is no good in the wet. It’s good for a gravel bike as everything stays clean, but the chain will need swapped out after a wet ride.

I’m a former Purple Extreme user but since my stocks ran out I’ve used Prolink Gold on the Brompton and the Surly. Due to the chain tensioner being so close to the ground I find it impossible to avoid the Brompton getting pretty filthy around that end. The Prolink seems to be not too bad at collecting the crud.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2023, 02:39:04 pm »
I was going to say, it doesn't really matter what you lube a Brompton chain with, it's still going to accumulate all sorts of road grime in about 5 minutes.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2023, 03:15:29 pm »
Thanks... My Brompton is also used in all weathers, you saved me an unnecessary wax attempt.

I hadn't thought about the tensioner collecting road grime... so I will try Prolink gold with low expectations!
Chief cat entertainer.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2023, 04:01:56 pm »
I use Prolink or another thin dry lubricant, to minimise sticky, oily buildups on Brompton chains. It tests fairly poorly in chain wear and chain drag comparisons but that means little for my situation. Frequent re-lubrication after wet weather with a rag wipe-down is better than the alternatives.

Wax tends to accumulate around the B’s jockey pulleys. Full-on wet lubes just collect lots of road grime, with the same result. Muc-off Wet is about the worst on the planet for this.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2023, 04:52:01 pm »
Zero Friction Cycling have some thoughts on chain wax in the rain

Pretty much confirms my view on wax for a commuter bike.

It tests fairly poorly in chain wear

Interesting. Mine needed* new sprockets and chain after about 3000km despite being reasonably good with the wipe downs and re-lubes, which I thought was a bit sub optimal even for a Brompton.

*OK it would have gone on longer but I am a fuss-pot, and shifting / noise was much improved after the replacement.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #7 on: 31 October, 2023, 12:08:37 pm »
Where do you get your prolink Progold from ?

I can't find it online and it doesn't seem to be distributed to French bike shops....
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #8 on: 31 October, 2023, 03:26:57 pm »
I got mine from here some time ago but they do not seem to have it now, might be worth a query as they have other Progold products.

https://www.wychbearings.co.uk/

It's also on Ebay and Amazon, I see.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 31 October, 2023, 05:39:36 pm »
Fuck that shit of changing chains every day it might rain...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #10 on: 31 October, 2023, 05:44:47 pm »
Fuck that shit of changing chains every day it might rain...

I agree with you on this one but there seems to be a conspiracy from Rennes bike shops who want to sell me stuff that transform my chain into a mess !

Best I've found so far that does not involve French customs : https://www.gyro.fr/A-8274-seringue-de-7ml-de-lubrifiant-prolink.aspx

Otherwise it is out of stock : https://www.alltricks.fr/F-11939-produits-d-entretien/P-1967536-lubrifiant_chaine_progold_xtreme_118ml

Have you got an alternative that is nearly as good ?
Chief cat entertainer.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2023, 07:51:56 am »
Finish Line wet is what I use for everything.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2023, 07:15:27 am »
I've tried loads, and have run waxed chains for a few years topped up with either Silca drip lubes, Squirt or Smoove, all of which were pretty clean. None are particularly good in the wet unless topped up frequently.
I tried a free sample of Revolubes stuff recently and much to my surprise as a massive skeptic, after three applications to a prepped chain it's still looking clean as a whistle, not squeaking or dry and not rusty, the bike's done a load of off-road miles and been pressure washed twice (yes I know, I'll just replace the bearings  ;) ).

Only downside so far: I was impressed enough to order a proper bottle and ten days later it's not arrived, and the sprog says it must be full of toxic badness to work that well.