Author Topic: Sloppy Campagnolo Veloce 10 Speed Shifter  (Read 715 times)

Afasoas

Sloppy Campagnolo Veloce 10 Speed Shifter
« on: 29 October, 2023, 05:31:43 pm »
New-to-me "Audax" bike has a few minor issues. The most signigicant (and for me, probably most annoying) is that the up-shift lever on the right shifter is sloppy and seems to park itself such that each time the brakes a pulled on, there's a loud clicking noise.

That loud clicking noise with the brake leaver completely missing the rubber dougnut that looks to be embedded in the up-shift lever to dampen out that noise.

Can these shifters be overhauled? If so, where are the best places to look for the parts that may need replacing?

Thanks.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Sloppy Campagnolo Veloce 10 Speed Shifter
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2023, 06:54:13 pm »
it may be that the lever travels too far to the outside, due to wear? it's worth putting a small piece (or few) of insulation tape on the inside of lever body and see if this helps to stop it at a right spot. flimsy things, made of cheese, i doubt if spare parts are available for them (i have a pair too..)

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2023, 07:05:22 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2023, 08:45:06 pm »
You need to work out which Veloce 10-speeds you have. There have been at least Powershift and Ultrashift, and possibly more. That will, I think, affect parts availability. Posting clear pictures of your Ergos, especially from the front of the bike (which is the view that most obviously differs), would be a good start. Are there any markings or model numbers?

Campagnolo do exploded diagrams in the form of parts catalogues. Don't filter to Veloce, because the catalogues are annual and cover all models. Ergos are typically in part A for each year, but it can vary. Generally best to know first at least the approximate year of your model.

Once you know your part number, Mercian are good for Campagnolo spares. I believe they will also offer advice if you ring them. Chicken (use the filter by manufacturer), PlanetX and Fawkes are other options. So is eBay.

The models that can be serviced are not too hard to work on. The 9-speed ones I did came as a bag of bits because the previous owner had tried, using the wrong model of lever as a donor, and sold me a kind of 3D jigsaw puzzle after giving up - with bits from the casualty and the donor shifters all muddled up. I ordered the proper replacement body from Mercian, and I'm still using the result.

Afasoas

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2023, 09:07:44 pm »
You need to work out which Veloce 10-speeds you have. There have been at least Powershift and Ultrashift, and possibly more. That will, I think, affect parts availability. Posting clear pictures of your Ergos, especially from the front of the bike (which is the view that most obviously differs), would be a good start. Are there any markings or model numbers?

Campagnolo do exploded diagrams in the form of parts catalogues. Don't filter to Veloce, because the catalogues are annual and cover all models. Ergos are typically in part A for each year, but it can vary. Generally best to know first at least the approximate year of your model.

Once you know your part number, Mercian are good for Campagnolo spares. I believe they will also offer advice if you ring them. Chicken (use the filter by manufacturer), PlanetX and Fawkes are other options. So is eBay.

The models that can be serviced are not too hard to work on. The 9-speed ones I did came as a bag of bits because the previous owner had tried, using the wrong model of lever as a donor, and sold me a kind of 3D jigsaw puzzle after giving up - with bits from the casualty and the donor shifters all muddled up. I ordered the proper replacement body from Mercian, and I'm still using the result.

Thank you - that's just the advice I was looking for.
I've already grasped that there are a few variations depending on year of manufacture. I've spotted there are a few places you can send them away to for a rebuild, dependent on spares availability. I'd like to keep the spend to a minimum and do it myself if possible - especially as on second inspection I've noticed the other shifter is a bit sloppy and not too far behind.

Having almost exclusively had Shimano equipped bikes, excepting one SRAM eqipped MTB and a couple of old Suntour equipped racing bikes back in the day, Capagnolo compatibility is all a bit alien to me.

I've also read there should be some identifying marks somewhere on them, depending on how recent they are. I will grab some photos.

Afasoas

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2023, 09:59:03 pm »
Lever 3 (the thumb shift) is single click/single gear change - which I think makes these the earlier 10 speed Veloce shifters?

Here is a picture. Apologies for the poor quality / state of the garage.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:31:15 pm »
the way brake lever is forward in the photo - it is not for riding, but for removal of the wheel(s). the little pin near the top should be pushed inwards and brake lever closer to the handlebars. there might be no problem with the gear lever as it looks to sit where it's supposed to be.

« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2023, 10:57:47 pm »
Yes those are the earlier ones. I think the earliest had black lettering, as opposed to the silver on a black background on your picture, but I can't remember whether that's significant. So try parts catalogues from about 2006 onwards, but check carefully or ask Mercian. There are some real experts about who'd know the full history.

I'm not sure about your description of sloppy and not touching a rubber doughnut. Generally it's the ratchets that wear, and make the controls sloppy.

Afasoas

« Reply #8 on: 31 October, 2023, 07:55:57 am »
the way brake lever is forward in the photo - it is not for riding, but for removal of the wheel(s). the little pin near the top should be pushed inwards and brake lever closer to the handlebars. there might be no problem with the gear lever as it looks to sit where it's supposed to be.

Thank you zigzag.
That has helped a smidge - probably enough for me to ignore it for now. With the brake lever in it's proper position, they are just making contact with the rubber doughnut/damper thinger on the right shifter. The levers on the left shifter are better aligned.

I'm not sure about your description of sloppy and not touching a rubber doughnut. Generally it's the ratchets that wear, and make the controls sloppy.

The shifting is actually okay - it's the parking of 'lever 2' - it seems to move further than it should so it's not lined up with lever 1 properly, as a stop has worn.
About midway down the lever is the small rubber dougnut which, now the brake levers are in the correct position, I guess is meant to stop the two leavers chattering with road vibrations as your ride ( rather than stop them making contact when the brakes applied!! :) )

I'll try ZigZags earlier suggestion to "adjust" the stop with electrical tape. It should be good enough now for at least a winter's riding so I'll get the other issues addressed (bottom bracket, chain, bar tape) and get some miles down.

Thanks again.