Author Topic: MTB freehub with road cassette... coming loose  (Read 567 times)

MTB freehub with road cassette... coming loose
« on: 16 November, 2023, 02:13:23 pm »
Hello looking for some advice pls

I have a wheel with Shimano Deore FH-M6000 rear hub. That's a MTB hub, which claims on Shimano website to have an 11-speed MTB freehub.
I bought this in 2019 and for most of it's life it's had a SRAM 10-speed cassette with no issues.

After a complete rebuild of the bike, I now have a Shimano groupset and put a CS-HG700-11 cassette - that's an 11-speed road 11-34T cassette. Part of the 105 range but claims to be compatible with 10 and 11 speed freehubs, and includes a 1.85mm spacer for use on the wider road freehubs. In the manual it says to omit the spacer for 11-speed MTB hubs.

When installed with no spacer, after 100-200KM the casette develops play, resulting in all sorts of creaks and noises. pretty annoying.
Wth the spacer I cannot get the lockring to engage. So the 1.85mm spacer is not an option.
The lockring seems to engage nicely without the spacer, I get plenty of 'clicks', and it doesn't seem to be noticably different to other cassettes I've installed.

I have tried tightening, and tightening, and tightening some more - it's as tight as i can get it, full bodyweight - I've installed plenty of other casettes in the past and not gone anywhere near that tight, with no issues. But it still eventually develops play and starts creaking away.

So... am i missing something here? Is it possible the freehub I have is actually a narrower 10-speed MTB freehub (if such a thing exists?), and this 11-speed 'road' cassette is not compatible? I'm almost positive from Shimano's website it should be compatible.

Could it require a smaller spacer if it's losing preload somehow?
Should i just get someone heavier to tighten it more?!

Thanks in advance!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: MTB freehub with road cassette... coming loose
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2023, 07:43:34 am »
Obvious first step is to try a thinner spacer.

« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2023, 09:55:16 am »
Be very careful tightening the lockring after adding any spacer as it's very easy to pull the threads off a free hub if you're getting less than the usual number of threads engaged.

« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2023, 01:07:29 pm »
Don’t you need a spacer on inside of cassette when using >28 on mtb cassette or something.  Somehow I vaguely remember readin that