Author Topic: Decent deal on tyres?  (Read 879 times)

Decent deal on tyres?
« on: 18 November, 2023, 10:23:45 am »
Can I just check with the great assembled wisdom these are OK. Just want something for commuting with a bit nore protection as the roads and cycle paths are pretty grim at the moment

These seem a very good price

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-greenguard-touring-tyre-700c-85901.html?utm_source=PHG&app_clickref=1101lxXbHKsj&source=PHG&utm_medium=Affiliates&utm_campaign=genieshopping

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Decent deal on tyres?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2023, 10:42:41 am »
I have sets on my Dawes mountain bike based 'camping/ruffstuff' bike and the 20" wheeled folder. They're several years old, roll as well as can be expected for heavy tyres (and much much better than Marathon Plusses), and have both punctured once I think (massive flint arrowheads that went through before I could stop and extract). They seem impervious to the sort of small debris that gets through lighter tyres. I have new-ish slightly wider/slicker Schwalbe Road Cruisers on the shopping/commuting singlespeed and they roll a bit better.

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2023, 03:16:28 pm »
Brilliant thanks

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2023, 12:47:20 am »
I have those on my touring bike.  Well, on my touring bike wheels - the bike itself is no more.

Compared to the previous model they roll well, and are surprisingly good on mud (though obviously nowhere near as good as a MTB tyre), but a liability on leaf-slime-coated tarmac.  I get an average of one puncture a year (usually from a screw or hawthorn or similar - they seem to cope with glass pretty well), which I consider to be a decent tradeoff against the harsh ride and heavier weight of the Marathon Plus.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2023, 07:28:21 am »
Another vote for Marathons (and Schwalbe) - been using them for years without issue - currently on the Ti tourer, e-bike tourer and the pub bike (and the two road bikes are also shod with Schwalbe products - ProOne & Durano)

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2023, 08:26:37 pm »
They've arrives thanks to an alert neighbour getting them off postie

Don't feel as heavy or as rigid as expected. Do say suitable for e bikes which is good for the huge (read negligible) power I put out

Will get them on over weekend and see how they go

« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2023, 08:42:39 am »
They can be tight and so tricky to install on some rims, see the spa cycles website for a technique to make it easier 👍

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2023, 01:02:46 pm »
They can be tight and so tricky to install on some rims, see the spa cycles website for a technique to make it easier 👍

I used to think that it was just Marathon Plus that were thus afflicted, but then I acquired a wheel where the regular Marathon is an incredibly tight fit.  At one point I had to resort to a team effort with EldestCub and harsh language.

The Spa video is a bit lacking in pixels by modern standards, but the advice is sound.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4