Author Topic: Bike access to London Liverpool St  (Read 4162 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Bike access to London Liverpool St
« on: 12 August, 2010, 10:55:50 am »
We're off on a jaunt to Norfolk tonight. This will involve getting the tandem and trailer to London Liverpool St station.  Everytime I've used that station before I've taken my bike up or down the escalator at the Bishopsgate entrance.

This will be tricky with a trailer.

Where's the SECRIT BUNKER ENTRANCE without steps or lifts?  Network rail site suggests there's one opening onto Bishopsgate, near the WH Smith. Alternatively there seems to be one on Broadgate.

Any clues?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Bike access to London Liverpool St
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:00:19 am »
Isn't there an entrance off Liverpool St itself. I always see it as I'm putting my bike on the escalator to go out onto Bishopsgate and make a note to try it out the next time.

Google streetview doesn't go down that road...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:04:08 am »
Station map: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documents/For%20Passengers/Station%20Maps/4512_Liverpool%20Street%20Station%20Map.pdf

It must be the 'Broadgate' exit I'm thinking of although I've no idea where that comes out in reality.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:13:14 am »
Come in from the west on Eldon Street (where it turns south and becomes Bloomfield St) there is an entrance with a ramp.

Click for map
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:22:09 am »
Beaten to it by Woolly. It's in Eldon St.

Google Maps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2010, 01:45:22 pm »
Got it. Thanks people.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:42:00 pm »
*makes a mental note for next time*

My knee doesn't do bikes and escalators, and the lift at Liverpool Street is microscopic and emerges into the ticket office queue.  Madness.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2010, 02:46:49 pm »
Well, the Eldon St ramp goes through a shopping arcade which has stalls along the middle of the thoroughfare, which serve to narrow the walkway. Wheeling a bike through there at rush hour doesn't win you many friends.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2010, 02:07:26 am »
Go in via Primrose Street, just north of the station off of Bishopsgate, then first left where the cabs go.  There's a barrier but they'll let you through.  Takes you down to the cab rank and you're on the level with the platforms by platform 10.

But don't tell anyone I told you.............  
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2010, 10:10:32 am »
Well, the Eldon St ramp goes through a shopping arcade which has stalls along the middle of the thoroughfare, which serve to narrow the walkway. Wheeling a bike through there at rush hour doesn't win you many friends.

It's not too bad if you're going with the flow.  I go in that every night.

I've always found going in that way (with or without bike) a bit annoying (for me not the other folks),  but that's just because I don't handle well people plodding slowly along, randomly changing direction in front of me when I'm trying to get somewhere.  You have to be alert along that stretch to people suddenly pulling up or wandering off to one side when they spot something SHINY in one of the shops.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #10 on: 14 August, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »
Here
On the National Rail website, there's a "stations made easy" box to show you how to get hither and yon.
From the great big travelopolises such as Waverley, Leeds or Mordor Central Birmingham New Street, down to photos showing you how to use Berney Arms station.

Try it.  You might like it.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2010, 08:39:47 pm »
Go in via Primrose Street, just north of the station off of Bishopsgate, then first left where the cabs go.  There's a barrier but they'll let you through.  Takes you down to the cab rank and you're on the level with the platforms by platform 10.

That's the route I go in - cyclists normally have to dismount and take their bike up the kerb and round the barrier. This, I was told, is because the sensor to shut the barrier after passing through doesn't work with bicycles, rather than being to do with not wanting cyclists to use this access (which takes you to the cycle parking).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
Here
On the National Rail website, there's a "stations made easy" box to show you how to get hither and yon.

Just passed that on to Barakta, who had 'fun' trying to describe the various entrancesportals to Mordor Central to a blind person last week.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2010, 10:56:33 pm »

That's the route I go in - cyclists normally have to dismount and take their bike up the kerb and round the barrier. This, I was told, is because the sensor to shut the barrier after passing through doesn't work with bicycles, rather than being to do with not wanting cyclists to use this access (which takes you to the cycle parking).

I believe you are quite right, I've used it a couple of times on a bike and both times the guard told me to use the pavement
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14 on: 17 August, 2010, 06:17:19 pm »
Right. Reporting back.

Yes, that ramp thing is just the ticket.  Coming from London Bridge we whizzed up Bishopsgate, then left into Liverpool St, across the taxis and pedestrians and bicycles bit, heading west. The last little bit where you meet Bloomfield St/Eldon Street has the one way going the wrong way, so we just hopped off and pushed on the pavement.

Simples.

« Reply #15 on: 03 November, 2023, 01:46:23 pm »
What's the latest on this? I found it by accident when looking for an alternative to Eldon Street, which is fine coming from the north-west side (Kings Cross usually), but a pain going back because you either walk (it's one way) or go round via London Wall.

I'm an occasional visitor, usually heading for ACME Witham events, so don't get many chances to explore the entrances. I was looking at Primrose Street as an alternative, but maybe it's easier just to carry on with Eldon Street?

No big deal, just wondered.

« Reply #16 on: 03 November, 2023, 02:39:00 pm »
You can get to Prinrose Street directly from the concourse by going up the shopping mall down the side of Boots. Or go up Bishopsgate which is bus / taxi / zombie
pedestrians only.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #17 on: 03 November, 2023, 07:49:12 pm »
I'm usually coming from the south so enter from Bishopsgate and carry it down the stairs. There might be a lift there too.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #18 on: 04 November, 2023, 08:17:50 pm »
Thanks again - I tried Primrose Street on the way back today :thumbsup: