Author Topic: Dry January - 2022  (Read 37420 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Dry January - 2021
« Reply #375 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:53:04 pm »
Having discovered I really am 10Kg heavier than I hoped I was, I'm trying to decide what NOT to give up for lent!

Do not give up:
Hope
Thinking
Salads
Strawberries
Making sure you ENJOY everything that passes your lips.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #376 on: 20 May, 2021, 05:01:01 pm »
I've managed to get myself back on the wagon for a bit - I'm using the Dry Days app for motivation and so far I'm on an 11 day streak (not including today), which is by far the longest spell I've gone without booze since... well, certainly this year, probably going back to last October.

I'm finding it much easier with the lighter evenings. Have had a few cravings, but not really missing the booze at all. My bank balance is feeling the benefit too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #377 on: 25 May, 2021, 01:53:59 pm »
This dry spell has lasted almost three months. It's an enforced lay off due to prescribed medication not being compatible with alcohol. Final tablet to be taken on Friday (very early) so I'm looking forward to one, and only one, Jakehead IPA on Friday night.

I'd like more than one followed by a drop of malt but suspect that would make Saturday a write off.

Thing is, when I knew I couldn't have a drink for three months I wasn't too bothered. Now I can have a drink in three days time I'm itching for one now which is slightly worrying.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #378 on: 10 July, 2021, 06:17:39 pm »
At the pub, a couple of days ago, we were discussing drinks and weren't quite sure whether we had celebrated my June birthday or his July birthday by sharing a bottle of Kopparberg.
Suspect it was mine.
D reminded me this morning that his middle name was chosen after his late grandfather and uncle, both of whom had died from alcohol-related causes...

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #379 on: 13 October, 2021, 02:09:30 pm »
Thought Id bump this thread on the basis that January isn't that far away relatively speaking.   

Ive kept the Try Dry app updated throughout the year.  My chief learning from using it is that I found that after a certain point (around a week, or at least having cleared a weekend) its increasingly easy to continue a run of dry days.  Ive also found that my Fridays are surprisingly dry.       

Other than January my best month was around 25 dry days.  As Id anticipated, things changed a bit a bit when restaurants and pubs reopened in April though until then Id managed to stick to my "12/2" plan.  We have eaten out a lot since April, and have tried to justify it on the basis of supporting places that struggled through lockdown (who are we trying to kid  :))     

Knowing that December often features higher-than-average consumption and knowing how good I felt towards the end of January, Im planning a Dry November 2021 and will try to remember to post progress here.           

« Reply #380 on: 13 October, 2021, 04:13:58 pm »
Mr Smith is in the midst of a 100 days off- which will take him to mid December when he might have a bottle or two before getting back at it on Dry January.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #381 on: 13 October, 2021, 04:55:22 pm »
Not had any alcohol in the last three months.

I think I'll tell The Powers That Be I'm teetotal next time they ask. They are not sufficiently numerate for me to tell the truth...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #382 on: 01 January, 2022, 11:53:22 pm »
Thought Id bump this thread on the basis that January isn't that far away relatively speaking.   

Ive kept the Try Dry app updated throughout the year.  My chief learning from using it is that I found that after a certain point (around a week, or at least having cleared a weekend) its increasingly easy to continue a run of dry days.  Ive also found that my Fridays are surprisingly dry.       

Other than January my best month was around 25 dry days.  As Id anticipated, things changed a bit a bit when restaurants and pubs reopened in April though until then Id managed to stick to my "12/2" plan.  We have eaten out a lot since April, and have tried to justify it on the basis of supporting places that struggled through lockdown (who are we trying to kid  :))     

Knowing that December often features higher-than-average consumption and knowing how good I felt towards the end of January, Im planning a Dry November 2021 and will try to remember to post progress here.         
I also kept the app going after Jan for the rest of the year. It was a real eye opener for me.
I’m going dry again this month.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #383 on: 02 January, 2022, 12:01:39 am »
I'm in. Ish.

I'm not starting till the 10th as I'm off work till then and I'm not Stopping whilst on holibobs.

But I intend to run through to the 10th of Feb so I'll allow it. It's better than not stopping at all.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #384 on: 02 January, 2022, 11:00:07 am »
We too are on holidays in January but expect to go dry for February to support weight loss.

« Reply #385 on: 02 January, 2022, 01:04:29 pm »
I had dry October, November, and most of December.

January is proving to be moist.  :P

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #386 on: 02 January, 2022, 01:15:02 pm »
I'm in.  We'll see how it goes.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #387 on: 02 January, 2022, 05:14:46 pm »
I seem to be a very stable 69-70 kg, if I stop the booze I'll need to find an alternative source of calories
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #388 on: 02 January, 2022, 10:53:15 pm »
I'm in. I had my last booze at midnight at the turn of the year.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #389 on: 02 January, 2022, 11:21:01 pm »
I had a glass of mulled wine at the Edgware CTC Lunch in December.

I think that's the only alcohol in 6 months!

« Reply #390 on: 04 January, 2022, 11:55:37 am »
Mr Smith is in for the annual Liver-holiday and as I had 330 dry days last year I'm sure I'll manage January.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #391 on: 04 January, 2022, 03:16:19 pm »
I didn't count my dry days in 2021 but I'd guess >360.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #392 on: 04 January, 2022, 05:37:41 pm »
Had less dry days last year than the previous couple of years.  Didn't help than my main sporting achievement was the Hampshire Hoppit Marathon, sponsored by a local brewery, who provided a pint of their excellent product as a recovery drink - one of the best recovery drinks I have ever had.  Did start Dry January today, but will therefore stick it out until 3 February and then give up for  Lent as usual.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #393 on: 04 January, 2022, 06:09:37 pm »
I have to say I had a cider (size forgotten) in the evening after I had cycled 100 miles that day.

Went STRAIGHT to my head in a way it didn't even when I was quaffing a couple of glasses as an eight-year-old...

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #394 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:24:51 pm »
This thread (and others about the demon drink) is one of the things I love about this forum .... seek and you will find.

After a particulary heavy NYE, I used that oft repeated jokey internal dialogue ..... "I'm never going the drink again".

Well, I can't say that's going to happen. Right now I'm on the 10th day of abstinence and feeling good. But this post, from long ago, made me cry

I don't think I'd ever condemn anyone for drinking. If it doesn't affect your health or life, go ahead and enjoy, even if that includes occasional excess. But for some people it just goes wrong.

There is still a part of me that has a need, once in a while, to get a bit out of it. But most people seem to have some sort of inbuilt safety valve that stops it before it goes too far, whereas I found that I had a self-destruct button that I could not resist playing with. So I don't do it now.

This is me. Day 11 next ....
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #395 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:01:01 pm »
This is me.

Me also.

I don't like to use the -ism word but sometimes I think maybe I should face facts... that's possibly the hardest part.

Day 11 next ....

Today is day 7 for me. Haven't reached the "feeling good" stage yet. One day at a time.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #396 on: 10 January, 2022, 02:51:19 pm »
Sending good wishes to everybody doing Dry January.   :thumbsup:

I did my month off in November and after a slightly excessive December Im now into a more long term arrangement for the foreseeable where I'll stay dry by default, with an exception for a couple of days on alternate weekends.

This is an approach I took for several months last year and I find it far easier than going "all in" but it still delivers around 25 dry days in a month which I feel is probably about right overall.  There is of course the temptation to go wild when the relevant dates come round but my extravagance so far has been limited to splashing out on better bottle of red than might otherwise be the case - tame stuff really.   

Another reason for my approach ^ is that by around day 7 dry my sleep improvement has pretty much maxed out ie Im wide awake and alert even off a couple of hours less sleep so I don't get much incremental benefit beyond that.       

« Reply #397 on: 10 January, 2022, 03:01:39 pm »
Just onto day 4.  I suddenly realised we were sharing a half bottle of wine most evenings with a glass of port 4/7.  Then realised that my sleep was really adversely affected by the alcohol.  Also realised that on holiday I start with great intentions of cycling every day but the alcohol gets a bit more and the sleep gets poorer and I end up doing less than planned.

So I am on day 4 of abstinence.  Already sleeping better and feeling better.  Planning on being alcohol free on holiday as well and see if the cycling is better.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #398 on: 10 January, 2022, 03:09:36 pm »
I did Dry Jan last year, and made quite a big effort for the rest of the year to keep any drinking to 3 or fewer days a week. I did pretty well, considering I live next door to a very good pub, and so I'm not doing Dry Jan this year, but increasing the non-drinking to 5/7 and limiting the occasional YouTube music nights in the shed with a bottle of wine to once a month!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #399 on: 10 January, 2022, 08:31:01 pm »
Day 10 here too.  Not sure I feel any different.
Getting up a bit earlier, eating more (this is actually a good thing).
See what happens in the next couple of weeks.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.