Author Topic: Sore throats  (Read 965 times)

Si

Sore throats
« on: 25 July, 2012, 08:56:40 pm »
I work (in the loosest possible sense) in a role that sometimes requires that I address groups of people (up to around 30) sometimes in an environment that has an amount of back ground noise to be contended with.  And after a few hours of this I start to get sore throats.  Any tips on preventing and curing?  I normally take a bottle of water to sip although I've been told that that isn't necessarily a good thing.  Cheers.

Re: Sore throats
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »
May want to explore some throat lozenge options. The artificial environments we all tend to work in doesn't help but if you are speaking to keep others interested you need to be comfortable. A natter with your GP would not go amiss thinks. Ask armed forces instructors what they do or regimental sergeant majors?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2012, 09:48:26 pm »
Years ago, when I worked as a nurse tutor and had similar problems to yourself, I found that a honey + lemon + glycerine combo worked well - Boots used to do such a concoction and market is for tickly coughs, but it was a great throat soother. Similarly, sipping honey in warm water worked almost as well (and was cheaper).

Keeping well hydrated was paramount.

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2012, 09:49:16 pm »
Years ago, when I worked as a nurse tutor and had similar problems to yourself, I found that a honey + lemon + glycerine combo worked well - Boots used to do such a concoction and market it for tickly coughs, but it was a great throat soother. Not sure if it's still available though.Similarly, sipping honey in warm water worked almost as well (and was cheaper).

Keeping well hydrated was paramount.

Si

« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:24:46 pm »
thanks, will give it a try.