Author Topic: Anyone have Hive for CH/HW etc?  (Read 3934 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Anyone have Hive for CH/HW etc?
« on: 25 June, 2023, 12:50:42 pm »
I can't seem to log in to Hive using Firefox or MS Edge browser* from a PC - ID & PW are correct - message is "An unexpected error . . ."  - trying a deliberately wrong PW gives "ID/PW wrong . .. " so looks like a system issue.

Hive, of course, needs you to log in to report or ask anything in true Catch22 style.

Anyone else with the same issue as at this moment (it's been like it since I first tried about 1500 on Sat 24 Jun)

*everything else works on other sites so looks like Hive at fault

Re: Anyone have Hive for CH/HW etc?
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2023, 04:09:29 pm »
No problems using the app
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2023, 04:22:23 pm »
No problems using the app

Ditto her BUT with the Hive stuff we have - as well as CH/HW/TRVs we have lamps and plug sockets doing all sorts of stuff and making changes with the app is a PITA - hence the web-browser being the best way.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2023, 04:55:46 pm »
I can get in on a web browser.
It is simpler than it looks.

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2023, 07:07:12 pm »
I can get in on a web browser.

Is that PC or Mac and which browser? - still doesn't work here.

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2023, 07:21:37 pm »
Just dug out a PC and Edge - works for me.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2023, 07:50:21 pm »
Mac, Safari

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2023, 08:25:15 pm »
All very strange - I've done all the obvious things - reboot, clear cache, clear cookies, troubleshooters . . .  I'll reboot the router when my wife has finished watching Elton John at Glasto tonight - weird thing is that all the other websites I've tried work fine with auto and manual logins.   The only thing that has changed in the last day or three AFAIK is a new version of Firefox.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2023, 10:15:09 pm »
Have you tried using a browser on your phone or a tablet? I wonder if this is like the issues I have getting on the Sainsbo's groceries website. I can only place orders using the web browser on my phone, it doesn't work on my tablet.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2023, 10:41:39 pm »
Different internet provider, can you hot link to phone or tablet?

« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2023, 10:44:49 pm »
The only thing that has changed in the last day or three AFAIK is a new version of Firefox.
No special knowledge, but that's not totally impossible. We had something at work that was broken the other week by the latest Chrome update. Therefore it broke on Edge as well, since that uses the same browser engine these days. So you could only test by using another browser with a different engine. Obviously, any affected software providers produce patches within days to get their systems going again.

But, to repeat, I've no special knowledge that that applies here.

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2023, 11:18:47 pm »
Rebooted  router, tried Firefox on Android tablet and no joy - same error message.
App on tablet works

It must be something at Hive??

« Reply #12 on: 26 June, 2023, 08:34:10 am »
Try Chrome. But it's a long shot.

robgul

« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2023, 08:51:53 am »
Try Chrome. But it's a long shot.

Nope - tried that - same error message, and ditto when deliberately entering a wrong pw (ID/PW wrong message)

3 different PC browsers and Firefox browser on tablet all throw the same error - nothing else on the PC is affected - logging into all the stuff I usually look at without problem.

I shall be endeavouring to grapple with Hive's "customer service" on the phone.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2023, 08:54:29 am »
Rebooted  router, tried Firefox on Android tablet and no joy - same error message.
App on tablet works

So, have you tried a different internet provider? Go to a cafe and use their WiFi, or turn off the router altogether and try tethering to a phone, if that is possible on your contract.

robgul

« Reply #15 on: 26 June, 2023, 09:21:00 am »
App on tablet works

So, have you tried a different internet provider? Go to a cafe and use their WiFi, or turn off the router altogether and try tethering to a phone, if that is possible on your contract.

I've used our neighbour's wifi (BT hotspot) with our router switched off and same result.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #16 on: 26 June, 2023, 09:33:34 am »
OK, that eliminates that as a cause.

Does sound like the Hive account has some kind of set-up fault.

robgul

« Reply #17 on: 26 June, 2023, 02:14:03 pm »
It seems that Hive has changed to a further level of authentication with a code sent to a mobile - and they don't have my mobile number on the account (I tried to avoid texts!)

OK, I suppose, but they might a) have notified customers (they say they did, no message received - and they say only 1 message was sent about 10 days ago) and b) an on-screen error message saying why would have been useful. Aaaaaaaargh!

I now have to delete Chrome which has invaded my machine trying to change default programs.  More Aaaargh!

« Reply #18 on: 26 June, 2023, 05:23:37 pm »
... they don't have my mobile number on the account...

... they say only 1 message was sent about 10 days ago...
Is anyone else seeing a connection here? ;D

robgul

« Reply #19 on: 26 June, 2023, 06:03:20 pm »
... they don't have my mobile number on the account...

... they say only 1 message was sent about 10 days ago...
Is anyone else seeing a connection here? ;D

The plot thickens slightly because they do, indirectly, presumably have my mobile number as the Hive app installed on the phone . . 

ian

« Reply #20 on: 26 June, 2023, 09:19:22 pm »
They sent me an email saying they would enforce two-factor authentication post-31st May. The app on your phone doesn't know your mobile number unless you tell it.

« Reply #21 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:15:04 pm »
Just had an email from them saying that from 1st June 2024 you won't be able to access your system using a web browser. You'll have to use an "up to date" Android or iOS device.

I'm really pleased that I didn't go all-in on Hive when I replaced our failed old-school heating timer and added home automation stuff at the same time (was tempted to spend a lot on Hive, but ended up going Zigbee and home assistant to minimise lock-in and need to talk to the cloud to turn on a lightbulb). I have zero confidence in them maintaining a running service for one second past the time they deem it to not be having the returns they want.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:22:36 pm »
Just had an email from them saying that from 1st June 2024 you won't be able to access your system using a web browser. You'll have to use an "up to date" Android or iOS device.

This trend for everything-on-mobile is a creeping form of enshittification that's almost as bad as services closing down completely.  Some of us have a Perfectly Good Real Computer (or perhaps a Jam-Filled Babbage Engine working out its retirement in a convenient location) and would much rather use it than groping around on a tiny touchscreen.

This goes double for things like the Octopus app - who wants to perform data analysis on their phone, when they could do it on their computer where it's not a complete pain to copy things into a spreadsheet or whatever?

No, the answer isn't for Windows to run Android apps.  FFS.

robgul

« Reply #23 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:34:00 pm »
I had the same email a few moments ago . . .  seems a backward step to me given the easier access with a "proper keyboard & sceen" rather than a phone or tablet - although I've been a bit pissed off that the web access has for a while required a second level access with an SMS code. 

[Unlike many people I am not Velcroed to my phone - it's usefull to make calls when I'm out - and receive calls diverted from my landline when I'm out - but that's about it]

I have to say, despite Hive abandoning the peripheral CCTV and alarm stuff I can't see them stopping the basic CH/HW stuff as that's core business whereas the "wraparound home" approach wasn't.  Hopefully the useful plug/sockets and light bulbs will continue to be supported.

We've had Hive for about 7 years - 3 in one house and approaching 4 in this one and it works fine for our needs.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #24 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:37:56 pm »
I got the email too. I tend to use the Webpage for editing strings and the app for looking, boosting etc. The app wasn't very good for changing settings, from memory.

They have maybe discovered that there isn't an income stream from selling hardware that has a (somewhat) limited market, and be looking to reduce costs and ultimately go for subscription.