Author Topic: Inverness 1200  (Read 56095 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Inverness 1200
« Reply #100 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:12:11 am »
The last Daylight was in 2007. Maybe traffic conditions have improved since then.
Althought that's not the last time it was used in daylight on a calendar event.

Traffic count is not a predictable thing, and riders impressions/reactions to it are even less predictable. It's a bit like weather vs climate.

I found it OK, but busier than I'd have liked on both rides (1 in each direction). It's a spectacular road, that is some compensation for the traffic count. But riding at the back of the Daylight '07 I did meet the sad sight of another rider in an ambulance (broken leg IIRC?).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #101 on: 09 January, 2019, 10:21:03 am »
The Daylight was cancelled because the organisers realised it is no longer a suitable road for an audax event. And it has got much worse since then.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #102 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:58:06 am »
The Daylight was cancelled because the organisers realised it is no longer a suitable road for an audax event. And it has got much worse since then.

What I find a tad annoying is it's a prime candidate for providing a decent alternative, most of the Telford route is probably usable too as the 1920s upgrade was largely offline though wouldn't want to use it over the black Mount as it's bloody busy with walkers since it's now part of the WHW. Yet Sustrans' latest shouting in the area is about providing the "busy" route from Oban to Corran Ferry, which is usually pretty quiet on the road except at commuting times as it isn't the main route from the central belt to the west highlands.

As I've mentioned before the best bet for the A85 and A82 route is to ride it late evening, night or early morning as it'll be all but deserted, and in summer you'll only briefly need your lights.

« Reply #103 on: 09 January, 2019, 02:23:27 pm »
Mr Eejit has it right. A quick look at DfT's traffic counts (amazing what you can find on the internet) and a few ststistical assumptions from me suggest that peak flow over Rannoch Moor will be about 700 vehicles/hour. That's more than CTT would allow for a time trial course, and certainly more than I'd want for audaxing.

As far as I can work out, it should be possible to avoid busy times on the A82 heading up, but on the way back it will be more difficult. To do so would require some fast riding and/or unusual sleep times. To be honest I'd be happier retracing the outward route, even though it's 40k longer. But this would mean missing the control at Crianlarich.

« Reply #104 on: 09 January, 2019, 02:24:47 pm »
I ride regularly on major A fast dual carriageway roads in the middle of Brum. Are people really saying the A82 is worse than that ?

bairn again

« Reply #105 on: 09 January, 2019, 02:48:45 pm »
I ride regularly on major A fast dual carriageway roads in the middle of Brum. Are people really saying the A82 is worse than that ?

The problem with the A82 is that at least in respect of the 35 miles between Crianlarich and Glencoe Village its an old fashioned two lane A road and its not wide enough for two modern cars and a bike.   

Add to that the fact that there's virtually no built up areas, no speed limits (other than the default national one) and no speed cameras means traffic both ways is very fast.  I drive Edinburgh - Ft William to my in laws fairly frequently with my most recent trip home last Sunday.  When driving at a steady 60 I was being routinely overtaken and had the added pleasure of a couple of close shaves with overtaking traffic coming towards me.   Expect that experience when on a bike.   

In summer I now use the A9 via Dalwhinnie to get to the Fort.  The A9 used to have a reputation for being one of Scotlands most dangerous road but the average speed cameras the full length from Dunblane to Inverness have made a huge difference.   

I last cycled the A82 May Bank Holiday 2010 doing a DIY twist on the Daylight 600, and Id not cycle it again.   

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #106 on: 09 January, 2019, 03:02:56 pm »
I suspect time will be more manageable for those on the 1000 than the 1200.

Comparing it to a fast dual-carraigeway in town with drivers largely with the same aims, get to work/shops.

The biggest problem is the mix of traffic; when I'm driving it I usually want to get somewhere, and I'll be stuck behind some t*rist who's crawling along at 30/40 looking at the hillsides, wandering into the wrong lane, and blocking overtakes I could have made; they'll then eventually complete their freak out and dive into a parking space at 60 to let me past.

Then there's the pinch points: very few of the bridges have been widened from the 1920s build; the bridge between Bridge of Orchy and the Black Mount switch backs is a great example (seen in the video); you're not allowed to overtake on approach anymore, but was a great overtaking spot if you timed it right before that was put in place... If you've a tour bus or lorry oncoming then you're stopping, if theres a tourist oncoming then they're stopping, if there's two locals approaching it then there's either going to be a tight squeeze or wing mirrors flying.

Middle of the day may actually be ok depending on what else is going on and the weather, it's the forenoon and afternoon tourist flows that are the worst.

and of course the lorries are the lorries regardless of the time of day.

« Reply #107 on: 09 January, 2019, 03:16:06 pm »
Thanks all !! Will see the map and check points andy sends out but I have to make Inverness by 10pm for my hotel on the Sat night !

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #108 on: 09 January, 2019, 04:00:35 pm »
Doing the 1000 my biggest concerns are
the rest and be thankful (climbing over the fates on the old military road may be a necessary pain)
the Corran Ferry to Fort Bill section of the A82 which I reckon will be midday to late afternoon (depending on when leaving Paisely) so could be busy.
return I'm aiming for after the rush

Doing the Twilight Perm my biggest concerns are:
From the Climb out of Tyndrum to the Study
After that I reckon unless there's wind issues the speed I'll be going at will assist massivley.

But that's planned for the start of March, so chances are it's either that I'll spend a fair whack of time filtering the Ski queue or it'll only be a handfull of outdoorsey people on the roads.

« Reply #109 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:43:29 pm »
Another set of questions as I can not stop thinking of this !!

- presume at paisley plenty of power points ?
- food wise at Paisley is there nearby chippies etc or if desperate 24hr shops ? I always get VERY hungry

whosatthewheel

« Reply #110 on: 17 January, 2019, 07:27:17 am »

- food wise at Paisley is there nearby chippies etc or if desperate 24hr shops ? I always get VERY hungry

Yeabbut you can't eat carbs... how about a pot of goose fat in your rear pocket to boost those ketones?  ;D

« Reply #111 on: 17 January, 2019, 07:29:26 am »
Actually when doing rides do not worry because shortage of food I would prefer !

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #112 on: 28 January, 2019, 11:08:09 am »
Thanks to all those that have entered or volunteered to lend a hand on the Inverness 1200. The second route check is due to take place around the second week of March so everything's on course to be ready around the first week of April.

Regarding the concerns to the route, the route doesn't follow A-roads for the whole length. The A82 is only used for parts of the Scottish section. After Dumbarton, the route takes the A814 through Helensburgh and then across to Oban using the A83 and A819. The A82 is avoidable on the 1200 between Fort Augustus and Inverness. I understand that the Daylight 600 was discontinued due to the organiser's retiring and logistical issues, not due to increased traffic volumes. My advice is don't lose interest because of the main roads. It's not definite yet but I'm close to securing a second control at Fort William to serve both events.

All food/drink at the Paisley control is free. Sleeping; bag drop and shower facilities will also be available at Paisley.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Inverness 1200

« Reply #113 on: 28 January, 2019, 06:56:40 pm »
Thanks Andy that is much appreciated ! Can not say how damn excited I  am !!! So I can eat a lot to warn you at Paisley !

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #114 on: 28 January, 2019, 11:10:57 pm »
Forgot to share the timings I worked out based on what I worked the distances out to be

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AlB7bV6RdTovhsd39Rc_iesG34wBYA

The timings for 15kmh seem to me to be ideal on the 1000km for the Highland section.
Should be able to avoid the morning rush of people staying in the area or getting up early to hit the hills, and the tourist traffic setting off from the central belt.
Hang around a bit into the evening out of Fort Bill after the rush of central belters heading home too, should get a reasonably quiet A82 up Glen Coe, over the muir and down into Strath Fillan and then down the Loch in the early hours, with enough time left to sleep before the last 300.

« Reply #115 on: 29 January, 2019, 09:45:29 pm »
Love the timings and they really help as I plan to do average of 20-22kph on all the legs of it

« Reply #116 on: 30 January, 2019, 12:06:58 am »
Are you going to get the Inverness 1200 validated by LRM as well as ACP, Andy? (Link with LEL entry thread)

« Reply #117 on: 30 January, 2019, 05:59:46 am »
Are you going to get the Inverness 1200 validated by LRM as well as ACP, Andy? (Link with LEL entry thread)

It already is on the list of LRM rides published by LRM ... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQfZNLv8FAa2L1ydaV4y81I0Hqv9C7s0aekPdD-M8lisCbZ0kzW-aQRefEurWC5ugluOdEvVuOmEl8m/pubhtml?gid=1440686864&single=true

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #118 on: 30 January, 2019, 09:43:25 am »

It already is on the list of LRM rides published by LRM ... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQfZNLv8FAa2L1ydaV4y81I0Hqv9C7s0aekPdD-M8lisCbZ0kzW-aQRefEurWC5ugluOdEvVuOmEl8m/pubhtml?gid=1440686864&single=true
Thank you; and Andy.

Andy Corless

« Reply #119 on: 30 January, 2019, 10:50:30 am »
For clarification purposes, Audax Clup Parisien (ACP) only validates BRM rides up to 1000 km. BRM events of 1200 km and longer are validated by Les Randonneurs Mondiaux (LRM).

Andy Corless

« Reply #120 on: 30 January, 2019, 11:07:10 am »
Sorry - I assumed that "BRM" meant an ACP BRM. I suspect the calendar software doesn't have an "RM" option so, for the 1200, defaults (or drop-down pick option) to BRM.
Fri 05 Jul 2019

1200km  Enter this event online via PayPal.  08:00 from Lytham St. Annes, Lancashire    Inverness 1200
                BRM  [10000m]  £57.30    Andy  Corless

1000km  Enter this event online via PayPal.  08:00 from Lytham St. Annes, Lancashire    Fort William 1000
                BRM  [8000m]  £57.30    Andy  Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #121 on: 30 January, 2019, 11:27:16 am »
For information purposes, copied from the AUK rules:

"Brevet de Randonneurs Mondiaux (BRM) is a term registered to Audax Club Parisien (ACP),
used to describe a cycling event of 200, 300, 400, 600 or 1,000 km, controlled through a series of
time and distance checks by means of a ‘brevet card’. BRM events are registered with ACP,
appear in the Randonneur Mondiaux Calendar published by ACP and, when held in the UK, also
appear in the AUK Calendar.

Randonneur Mondiaux events (RM) are as above but are registered with Les Randonneurs
Mondiaux (LRM) and are 1,200 km or longer.
"

The only exception I'm aware of is PBP which, despite being 1200+ km is validated by ACP.

Andy Corless

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #122 on: 30 January, 2019, 04:40:25 pm »
Love the timings and they really help as I plan to do average of 20-22kph on all the legs of it

I reckon I can do about that pace between most controls too, so the interest is when I'd be leaving each control if aiming for 15kmh overall knowing that I'm able to leave late enough to avoid the times my previous observations of the sections that can be horiffic will be.

For those on the Inverness 1200 rather than the 1000, there is route options that largely avoids the A82 if your'e willing to put a bit of roughish stuff in.
There is the B8004 road from Banavie to the commando monument, that gets you past the road split at Spean Bridge, although less traffic takes the A86 than the A82
Though from Gairlochy you could potentially take the B8005 and then the Great Glen Way on forest track up the side of Loch Lochy
From North Laggan cross the swing bridge and pick up the track on the old railway to Aberchalder
The track (it's not a tow path, the canal was for sea going ships) beside the canal appears to be soft, loose gravel, but if you can tolerate off road then fair enough. That gets you to Fort Augustus from where you can climb Glen Doe and arrive at Inverness via Foyers or stay high a bit longer and drop down to the Loch at Dores.

I can't remember exactly which route is used by the Etape Lochness from the top of the Glen Doe climb.

« Reply #123 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:34:17 pm »
For those on the Inverness 1200 rather than the 1000, there is route options that largely avoids the A82 if your'e willing to put a bit of roughish stuff in.
There is the B8004 road from Banavie to the commando monument, that gets you past the road split at Spean Bridge, although less traffic takes the A86 than the A82
Though from Gairlochy you could potentially take the B8005 and then the Great Glen Way on forest track up the side of Loch Lochy
From North Laggan cross the swing bridge and pick up the track on the old railway to Aberchalder
The track (it's not a tow path, the canal was for sea going ships) beside the canal appears to be soft, loose gravel, but if you can tolerate off road then fair enough.
Imo a better option than the B8004 from Banavie to Gairlochy is the track alongside the canal on the east side, accessed opposite Banavie station (on the A830). Surface is hard-packed and smooth, and fine on road tyres and the track is wide.
"from Gairlochy you could potentially take the B8005 and then the Great Glen Way on forest track up the side of Loch Lochy"
Not recommended 500+km in to a 1200 unless both it's been dry and your threshold for off-road is low (ie very tolerant). It's a bumpy old track.
"From North Laggan cross the swing bridge and pick up the track on the old railway to Aberchalder" Surface is much looser than the aforementioned Banavie to Gairlochy canal track. I wouldn't (and I look for off-road options on every audax). Have a look at each end on streetview if you want an idea.
However turn onto the canal track (west side of the canal this time) at Bridge of Oich (by Aberchalder) and that's takes you all the way to Fort Augustus - again the surface is very good and the track wide.

« Reply #124 on: 30 January, 2019, 07:13:15 pm »

https://youtu.be/j97O1xLcjWA Took this a few years back when I had packed from Blacksheeps 1200 and rode back to Oban via the Great Glen.
Eddington Number 75