Author Topic: Anyone remember this?  (Read 1155 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Anyone remember this?
« on: 15 February, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »
http://youtu.be/VmR5t2RELns
It was quite a shock to realise that this was 30 years ago...all that infrastructure, has it really been around that long?  In fact, thinking about it, quite a lot changed in a very short space of time... ten years before this  I am pretty sure there was almost nothing in place.    If the GLC had had the chance to carry on with this, I would hazard a guess that the city's roads would look and feel very different now. 

Re: Anyone remember this?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2014, 06:18:56 pm »
Should be banned by the Advertising Standards Authority immediately. Not a single helmet on display until the BMX kids at the end! (oh err and quite interesting as well).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2014, 06:26:24 pm »
It was obvious 30 years ago, it is obvious now.  But apparently not to short term politicians, the tabloid press, and the motoring lobby.  The Netherlands were in the same mess fifty years ago, but changed things through a big campaign against road deaths and the domination of the car - what do we have to do?
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2014, 06:52:13 pm »
No, I'd never seen that film before.
Yes, I remember when everyone cycled in whatever they happened to be wearing and could be filmed fixing their makeup, shoving a newspaper between frame and mudguard or even standing in the middle of a busy road with traffic moving around them on both sides, with no one collapsing from shock.
No, I didn't know such infrastructure was 30 years old, though I'm not terribly surprised.
Yes, it was rather interesting.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2014, 07:03:21 pm »
The graph showed a triumphant increase to something like 10,000 bike trips into London per day!

I reckon if you re-shot a lot of that today, there'd be more bikes than cars - some of the bikie shots looked rather lonesome.

« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2014, 07:32:17 pm »
As has been mentioned, no magic hats.
Also no Lycra.
But, oh my. What on earth was going on in the world of automotive design 30 years ago?  :o :o :o
Waterloo roundabout with no iMax  :thumbsup:
Mind you, no iMax meant that it was subterranean home to those who were unfortunate enough to have no other.
Anyone remember cardboard city?  :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2014, 07:48:26 pm »
I stumbled upon it once by accident, not knowing where I was.  Another world.
Getting there...

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2014, 11:50:27 pm »
I was interviewed for German TV recently at the same point on the entrance to Waterloo Bridge as several of those in this film. The Germans made the point that London's cycle infrastructure in 2013 was decidedly undeveloped. It looks like they could have made the same point with exactly the same backdrop 30 years ago. That is really quite depressing.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty