Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164574 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4550 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:36:45 am »
Another day, another interview opportunity - after a string of real stinkers, it looks like I may have an interview with the British Library. Not only is it based locally (Boston Spa, or a commute of about 10 miles each way) but it also sounds rather interesting - OK, so it's civil service and the pay isn't brilliant, although it *is* more than I'm currently getting, plus it's a 2 year fixed contract but it has potential.

It'll be interesting to see how they react to the fact that I'll have to ride to the interview :) There's only one bus a a day(!) and I'm not hiring a car for the sake of a 20-30 mile round trip.

I have worked there! many many years ago, it's a fascinating place to work, especially if you can get to go in the Borg cube, and then into the inner sanctum (where certain, ahem, "interesting" books are stored under locked and key, including one by a certain Mr Crowley)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4551 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:48:41 am »
Another day, another interview opportunity - after a string of real stinkers, it looks like I may have an interview with the British Library. Not only is it based locally (Boston Spa, or a commute of about 10 miles each way) but it also sounds rather interesting - OK, so it's civil service and the pay isn't brilliant, although it *is* more than I'm currently getting, plus it's a 2 year fixed contract but it has potential.

It'll be interesting to see how they react to the fact that I'll have to ride to the interview :) There's only one bus a a day(!) and I'm not hiring a car for the sake of a 20-30 mile round trip.

I have worked there! many many years ago, it's a fascinating place to work, especially if you can get to go in the Borg cube, and then into the inner sanctum (where certain, ahem, "interesting" books are stored under locked and key, including one by a certain Mr Crowley)
Last time I was there was with a cow-orker in my last job - he needed to get a bunch of research papers and we managed to wangle a pass-out from the management. It is a fascinating place (as is the National Library Of Wales, which was just down the road from me when I was at university) and going there you can't help thinking that some of Terry Pratchett's musings about libraries might actually be correct1

Also, it's only a short distance from the Coffee Pot Cafe on Thorp Arch Estate (toasted cheese scones and beef sarnies!) and my LBS also has a branch there (which may or may not be a good thing depending on my bank balance at any given time)

1 - I don't recall seeing any orang-utans2 there, though. I would imagine the Establishment would frown upon such things :)
2 - Ook!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4552 on: 19 October, 2011, 11:55:39 am »
Last time I was there was with a cow-orker in my last job
I'll let them know that's what you think.  Moo moo  ;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4553 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:00:43 pm »
Last time I was there was with a cow-orker in my last job
I'll let them know that's what you think.  Moo moo  ;)
My last job was in the semiconductor industry - immediately after I left the hallowed halls of academia ;)

Strangely enough, we were asked whether or not we could get the papers we were after from the Uni library, but my colleague argued, in his tenacious Russian way, that we'd have to go to the British Library. All we wanted was a day away from the bloody office :)

« Reply #4554 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:20:42 pm »

(HURRUMPH) years ago, I was doing some research around the occult and had occasion to ask for those tomes, and others dating back to 16th c.  I well remember finding a curious spell to stop pigeons shitting on your head, which must have worked as it hasn't happened to me since.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4555 on: 19 October, 2011, 02:51:36 pm »
I am in an apartment that has a narwhal's tusk as an objet d'art!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4556 on: 19 October, 2011, 04:51:34 pm »
My little brother's satellite launch is going well!

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/satnav/galileo/satellite-launches/index_en.htm

... and this will be the first launch of a Soyuz launch vehicle from the new launch site in French Guiana, which I'm surprised isn't being made more of by the various bodies involved (I think this will also be the first Soyuz launch outside of a an ex-USSR state as well).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4557 on: 19 October, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »
The kitchen has been returned to normal, complete with epic amounts of cleaning, half-arsed lino patching and (somewhat randomly) a new old washing machine courtesy of Postman Piers.  This one has a properly attached door and hardly leaks at all.  He's just moved house and had it going spare, and for some strange reason thought of us...

The Silly Oak scrap metal scavengers descended within seconds and asked if they could have the old one, which is a win.  They've also come back and removed the remains of the old boiler.

I just have to hack into the room stat wiring of the new boiler to reconnect the heating control.  That can wait until I'm a bit less allergic and knackered.

ETA: Done.

Code: [Select]
23:13:30 <kim> heating status
23:13:31 <sian> Heating is on (thermostatic, threshold = 19.0).  Average temperatures are: upstairs 17.8, downstairs 16.4, occupied 17.5, whole house 17.1, max 19.7, min 15.4

:thumbsup:

« Reply #4558 on: 19 October, 2011, 06:42:38 pm »
I done got a job interview for a proper job.
Hehe. Things is looking up.

LindaG

« Reply #4559 on: 19 October, 2011, 07:57:01 pm »
Good lass! Everything crossed for you

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4560 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:34:15 pm »
I seemed today to be getting close to the point at which Mrs. Wow is accepting the fact that she needs a really nice touring bicycle. We were discussing which tours we ought to be going on next year. I suggested something in the Pyrennees but she said that if she was to be riding a solo machine she would prefer somewhere flatter and preferably English-speaking. My suggestion of Belgium and/or Holland was greeted with not exactly enthusiasm but something probably on the better side of total indifference. This is an improvement.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4561 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:39:25 am »
I answered the door to the postman this morning.  I haven't ordered anything lately, so I wasn't expecting anything.

I opened the parcel to find a bottle of Chianti and various l'Eroica goodies. :thumbsup:

That Windy is a very kind chap. :D
Getting there...

« Reply #4562 on: 20 October, 2011, 09:54:56 am »
I suggested something in the Pyrennees but she said that if she was to be riding a solo machine she would prefer somewhere flatter and preferably English-speaking.

Norfolk?

Oh, no, you said English speaking....

(I love the Norfolk accent really, my Godmother is from Norfolk, and I have happy holiday memories from there...)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #4563 on: 20 October, 2011, 10:43:41 am »
I seemed today to be getting close to the point at which Mrs. Wow is accepting the fact that she needs a really nice touring bicycle. We were discussing which tours we ought to be going on next year. I suggested something in the Pyrennees but she said that if she was to be riding a solo machine she would prefer somewhere flatter and preferably English-speaking. My suggestion of Belgium and/or Holland was greeted with not exactly enthusiasm but something probably on the better side of total indifference. This is an improvement.

Start by riding from home to Yorkshire or somewhere - lots of time to look at flowers and wildlife, stop at cafes and interesting places and no language problem :). Across towards Oxford can be nice too - up via Woburn and across 8).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #4564 on: 20 October, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
My little brother's satellite launch is going well!

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/satnav/galileo/satellite-launches/index_en.htm

... and this will be the first launch of a Soyuz launch vehicle from the new launch site in French Guiana, which I'm surprised isn't being made more of by the various bodies involved (I think this will also be the first Soyuz launch outside of a an ex-USSR state as well).

Just went looking for a stream of the launch and found that it had been scrubbed today due to a LOX-loading issue.  Sounds like they're going to try again tomorrow, so presumably not a big problem.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

LindaG

« Reply #4565 on: 20 October, 2011, 11:10:01 am »
Hopefully not.  This is the link my brother sent me to watch it.

http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/ebs/schedule.cfm?sitelang=en&page=3&institution=0&date=10/20/2011

I suppose I'll just have to get dressed now instead of watching Space stuff  :D

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #4566 on: 20 October, 2011, 01:41:42 pm »
Someone has just given me a dark chocolate Bounty! :)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4567 on: 20 October, 2011, 07:12:51 pm »
Through a bit of detective work I have managed to bypass three recruitment agents this week and apply direct through the companies' websites. I've just had a reply from the engineering manager of one, telling me to send a CV directly to him - if I'm successful (and it's a big if going by my experience) they won't have to pay commission and I don't have to bang my head against the wall trying to persuade an agent to send a butchered CV to a job they don't think I fit into their little boxes. Just goes to prove - they are an unnecessary layer of parasites that can't justify their existence.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4568 on: 20 October, 2011, 07:23:44 pm »
Through a bit of detective work I have managed to bypass three recruitment agents this week and apply direct through the companies' websites. I've just had a reply from the engineering manager of one, telling me to send a CV directly to him - if I'm successful (and it's a big if going by my experience) they won't have to pay commission and I don't have to bang my head against the wall trying to persuade an agent to send a butchered CV to a job they don't think I fit into their little boxes. Just goes to prove - they are an unnecessary layer of parasites that can't justify their existence.
You know, I enjoy reading things like this because it helps me to remember that it's not just me that's getting the proverbial runaround.

This afternoon's zinger was a call from an agency who very definitely have previous in the "can't be arsed to read a CV" department and their opening gambit was "the job I'm calling you about isn't a software development job", my reply to which was "then why the hell are you calling me?"

On the other hand, it comes to something when this was probably the most interesting thing that happened today. Easy come, easy go etc.

« Reply #4569 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:44:25 pm »
Interestingly just beginning to get vibes that firms are having problems finding new peeps with requisite skills. Not quite so dire as they would have you believe.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4570 on: 21 October, 2011, 05:42:07 pm »
Some of you may recollect that at 0945 on 17 May 2011 a drunk and drugged driver drove into my garage (aka bike store) door whilst being pursued by the Police after another impact incident ....

..... well today just 21 weeks later the door has been replaced by:  the people we insure with's insurance company's management agent's sub-contractor's actual man that does the work - and he turned up 2 hours late.

So a weekend of re-arrangement of storage, bike hooks and tools etc.

Rob

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4571 on: 21 October, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »
The door has been replaced by a man?  That sounds inadequate.  Surely they could have used a door?

Good to hear your garage can now be secure again.
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4572 on: 22 October, 2011, 11:30:01 pm »
Today m'boys and me had an utterly perfect day out in Greenwich. Just the most beautiful autumnal weather. And delicious food from the market. Very civilised meander round the maritime museum, and tree climbing in the park. Lovely.

« Reply #4573 on: 23 October, 2011, 04:35:25 pm »
Mowed the front moss.

Mowed the back moss.

The good news is I won't have to do it again till next spring :-)
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4574 on: 23 October, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »
I've just had a lovely short but good visit from my mum.