Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164712 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4675 on: 04 December, 2011, 03:10:51 am »
Team England just beat France 383 to 13 at the Rollerderby World Cup.

We also beat Ireland 199-64 and Argentina 273-31. Tomorrow we face 2nd seed Canada. It's going to be a bit full on me thinks!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #4676 on: 04 December, 2011, 09:36:30 am »
I now have a job, no internet (hence hardly any forum time ;D) and not much more than minimum wage....  but it pays the bills! Also off to the club christmas dinner today and will be picking up two trophies: the 'tourist trophy' for most points/distance accrued through audax/sportives etc. and the 'long distance' trophy for doing PBP!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4677 on: 04 December, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »
Yeay Graham!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4678 on: 06 December, 2011, 10:01:07 pm »
In support of g.d.'s Girl Guides fund raising efforts we bought 3 raffle tickets.One won a large teddy bear & one won a box of Heroes chocolates.
I reckon we should buy a lottery ticket this week ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4679 on: 07 December, 2011, 08:03:27 am »
Bobb'll be here later.  :D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #4680 on: 07 December, 2011, 09:40:27 am »
In support of g.d.'s Girl Guides fund raising efforts we bought 3 raffle tickets.One won a large teddy bear & one won a box of Heroes chocolates.
I reckon we should buy a lottery ticket this week ;D

I initially read that as Herpes chocolates, that's not much of prize I thought. :sick: Perhaps I should start using reading glasses.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4681 on: 09 December, 2011, 05:42:42 pm »
I've just found a portable c.d.player I'd forgotten that I'd lost ;D It was amongst the winter-cycling-gear box in the garage.

« Reply #4682 on: 09 December, 2011, 06:33:01 pm »
I think I have a job from January. We're negotiating at the moment & it's a long way away, but I like the sound of the company and the two people I've met seem decent.

After "working" at home for the DfE/DCSF for two years & 8 months unemployed, I was beginning to get institutionalised!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #4683 on: 10 December, 2011, 03:59:53 pm »
I have just opened a letter from HMRC & it was a tax rebate for the princely sum of £23  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4684 on: 12 December, 2011, 09:08:03 pm »
I commuted by bike *and* went to bouncy bouncy gym class today, hurrah!

[grumble] All this travelling to the land of Nog malarkey is putting my fitness regime right up the spout [/grumble]
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4685 on: 13 December, 2011, 01:24:18 pm »
I've finished work until Christmas :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4686 on: 15 December, 2011, 08:29:34 am »
I've finished work until Christmas :)

It looks like we are ramping down for Xmas, but being a money grabbing scumbag contractor, I will hold out until the boss man says "Go home"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #4687 on: 15 December, 2011, 02:44:28 pm »
My coffee has arrived, WWIII averted.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4688 on: 16 December, 2011, 11:55:33 am »
We have a new electric meter, it is dual metering so we are no longer paying full rate for heating, we get bills even three months and they don't include somebody else's debt. We also get a credit of £98 because we have been paying somebody else's debt for the past month and a half.

« Reply #4689 on: 16 December, 2011, 05:57:32 pm »
I have been quiet on here recently, I've been busy sorting stuff out and revising. I will soon be in a new job. A job I've always wanted to do. I will be doing my HGV licences next month hopefully and when completed, diving into a lovely truck.  :thumbsup: I already know what truck is. I'm working for a small company, I'll be away from Monday to fri/sat and basically having my 'own' truck so I can keep it tidy and keep some stuff in there without the worry it will be taken.
I'll put a picture up somewhere of the truck when ive completed my licences so if anyone sees me they know it's me(you won't be able to miss the truck anyway, but it will have a 1gear plate in the window)
Jolly excited and happy now the multiple choice questions and hazard perception is passed and out of the way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but nervous for the practice tests to come.
Although it does mean a lot less time to cycle.
For me at 20 to be offered a job driving trucks is quite something 8) :thumbsup:
Got offered the job a few weeks ago, but I've kept quiet and now I've done the theory part I'm starting to feel slightly closer to driving  8)

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4690 on: 16 December, 2011, 06:08:14 pm »
Congratulations Joe!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4691 on: 17 December, 2011, 12:46:02 pm »
' but it will have a 1gear plate in the window'

Shouldn't that be 1gear YACF? (good luck with the tests)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LindaG

« Reply #4692 on: 17 December, 2011, 12:48:00 pm »
That's great news.  Congratulations.  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4693 on: 17 December, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »
That's great news.  Congratulations.  :thumbsup:

+1

tiermat

« Reply #4694 on: 23 December, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »
My boss has just sent me an IM saying we can all knock off at 14:00 today.

Countdown clock has started....

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4695 on: 23 December, 2011, 12:53:38 pm »
My boss has just sent me an IM saying we can all knock off at 14:00 today.

Countdown clock has started....
I'm waiting for a similar message - hopefully it won't be too long in coming as there are a grand total of 5 of us in today and I really want to get home and grab a bit of shut-eye1

1 - the one downside of this job: no handy, unused conference room to slope into and have a half-hour nap.

« Reply #4696 on: 23 December, 2011, 06:08:02 pm »
Isn't it nice when somebody says/does something and you remember how good a friend they are  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4697 on: 23 December, 2011, 08:03:53 pm »
I am always happily amazed how generous people are when charities are involved. Our male voice choir did just over 2 hours of carol singing at the local Morrisons, and even though everyone was busy, the shops were packed and queues were miles long, we got lots of nice comments, and looks like more than £800 for 'Hospice at Home'.

We also had a 9 year old soloist (grandson of one of the choir) for a few of the carols who was really good and incredibly confident :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4698 on: 23 December, 2011, 08:56:31 pm »
My girlfriend and I have been together for five years today and are still very happy with each other. And we have Cava to celebrate with.  :thumbsup:

And we both finished work early.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4699 on: 23 December, 2011, 11:10:34 pm »
awww!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.