Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164358 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2025 on: 04 March, 2010, 11:26:59 am »
Rheumatology appointment this morning.

Blood tests reduced to once every 3 months. Next appointment 8 months' time. Everything tickety-boo.

I am really very lucky when I compare myself to the poor crocks with their sticks, frames & wheelchairs whilst I turn up on my bike.

The consultant was incredulous that I cycle for 20 mpd on average.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2026 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:22:41 pm »

Blood tests reduced to once every 3 months. Next appointment 8 months' time. Everything tickety-boo.

I am really very lucky when I compare myself to the poor crocks with their sticks, frames & wheelchairs whilst I turn up on my bike.

Great news Wow  :-*

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2027 on: 04 March, 2010, 04:57:53 pm »

20 metres per day?!?  Was he amazed or gobstruck?    ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2028 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:32:38 am »
I am about to set off on a long rail journey. First Great Western to London then Eurostar to Moutier Salins Les Bains. I will pause at Motteret for a week then continue along the valley floor on a local train to Bourg St Maurice and pause again at Les Arcs for another week.   Finally I will catch the Eurostar from Bourg St Maurice to London and First Great Western to Cardiff.

After all that traveling I will probably need a holiday.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2029 on: 05 March, 2010, 03:28:45 pm »
That is a commute too far.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2030 on: 05 March, 2010, 04:37:31 pm »
We Won!  The big contract we've been chasing for about 12 months!  I thought we'd lost it but got a call 10 minutes ago to say we won!  And the email to my boss mentions 'the great work done by Mike and the team'. 

that's made my year.  Anyone want a pint?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2031 on: 05 March, 2010, 04:39:34 pm »
Well done!  I'll pass on the pint, thanks.  But it's nice when something you've worked towards comes good, isn't it? :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #2032 on: 05 March, 2010, 04:47:23 pm »
We Won!  The big contract we've been chasing for about 12 months!  I thought we'd lost it but got a call 10 minutes ago to say we won!  And the email to my boss mentions 'the great work done by Mike and the team'. 

Well done that man!  You can buy me a pint when you bring the computer back... ;)

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2033 on: 05 March, 2010, 04:50:49 pm »

Very good, Wowbagger  :)

JJ

« Reply #2034 on: 05 March, 2010, 05:01:17 pm »

After Easter!

Call in to the village hall on the 21st and I'll stand you a pint...

of tea.

You too Regulator.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2035 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:01:13 pm »
I've got the new wheels for my Rudge! :D

The front one's OLN is a bit big for the forks, but I think I know how to sort it - just got to find some thinner locknuts.  Not sure where from, but I can find them somewhere.

If not, I shall strip down the wheel and ask a friend to help me build a different hub into the rim :)
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2036 on: 06 March, 2010, 02:47:05 pm »
I spent an hour doing the Fabia door carrier seal 'fix' this afternoon. Managed not to break anything, lose any screws, or get sealant all over my clothes  :thumbsup:

Just gotta hope it stops the leak now  :-\
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2037 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:16:04 pm »
Saw a Reading CTC regular out on his bike today, looking well, & quite cheery - a month after his brain surgery. He's recovering very well.

He fell over on ice (walking) just before Christmas & shook his head rather hard. Gradually developed weakness in one hand. Started bumping into things on that side. Sent for a brain scan, & they found a clot, the remains of a small bleed. :( Operated . . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2038 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:40:59 pm »
Saw a Reading CTC regular out on his bike today, looking well, & quite cheery - a month after his brain surgery. He's recovering very well.

He fell over on ice (walking) just before Christmas & shook his head rather hard. Gradually developed weakness in one hand. Started bumping into things on that side. Sent for a brain scan, & they found a clot, the remains of a small bleed. :( Operated . . . .

Maybe he should have been wearing a helmet...
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

simonp

« Reply #2039 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:16:15 pm »

1pt turns out to be so small that even hitting ctrl-+ repeatedly won't make it legible.  Had to cut and paste it just to work out that you'd said what we were all thinking.  ;D

« Reply #2040 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:18:23 pm »

1pt turns out to be so small that even hitting ctrl-+ repeatedly won't make it legible.  Had to cut and paste it just to work out that you'd said what we were all thinking.  ;D

Just click 'reply with quote' to see the markup

« Reply #2041 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:21:33 pm »
Firefox: Tools -> Options -> Content Tab -> Fonts & Colours -> Advanced -> Minimum Font Size

I have the minimum font size set to 9 so I don't have to do anything to read the text people put in tinyprint.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #2042 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:33:53 pm »
Hmm.  Wonder if there's a way to set that on a per-site basis, I don't want to muck up the formatting of other sites.

« Reply #2043 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:55:57 pm »
Greasemonkey script.

simonp

« Reply #2044 on: 07 March, 2010, 11:47:23 pm »
Oh yeah. I was going to write one for something else wasn't I?  Another round-tuit thing.

Regulator

« Reply #2045 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:35:45 am »
We've found two houses we both like - one in Great Shelford and one in Girton.  Both are the same price.

An offer has gone in this morning on the Shelford house (as it's closer to Addenbrookes).

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2046 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:39:54 pm »

From his account, his head didn't hit the ground hard, if at all. It was just shaken rather badly.

But maybe we should bring the attention of the compulsory helmet activists to this incident. He's a cyclist! He had a brain injury! He should have been wearing a helmet! He wasn't cycling when he did it? Irrelevant! He's a cyclist! From his account, a helmet probably wouldn't have prevented the injury? Irrelevant! He wouldn't have had an accident if he'd been wearing a helmet! They prevent accidents! (according to obese non-cyclist Angie Lee, our local helmet campaigner, who founded  THE BICYCLE HELMET INITIATIVE TRUST )
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2047 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:44:31 pm »
They prevent accidents!

Indeed. It's obvious that a helmet would have prevented him falling over in the first place.

;)

(I've seen someone make that claim in a h*lm*t thread elsewhere.)

Regulator

« Reply #2048 on: 08 March, 2010, 08:36:45 pm »
Our offer on the Great Shelford house has been accepted!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now all I need is for the interview tomorrow to go well and me to get the job, and life will be dandy!

Green Party Councillor

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2049 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:57:42 am »
Just acquired the current issue of Cycling World.