Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164541 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2750 on: 07 October, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »
Well tell us about the new job then! :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2751 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:30:15 am »
Well tell us about the new job then! :)

Same company, same department, different team - the work largely consists of (a) telling my old team what to do, and (b) telling them how to deal with problems.

And I get more moolah and more holidays here.  :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2752 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:40:53 am »
Sounds good. Hope your old team take it well!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2753 on: 08 October, 2010, 01:21:54 pm »
After five days of chilly winds preceded by a week of rain, at last the wind has died down, the sun is shining and the sky is blue. It even feels quite warm in the sunshine. And somehow the town has lost its drab appearance, even the new market is busy and smiling. To cap it all, Mrs Cudzo has decided to go for a bike ride (unfortunately without me). To see a beautiful woman riding with grace and confidence on a bike that fits her is a joy indeed.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2754 on: 14 October, 2010, 10:50:21 am »
I've been informed my company will be taking up the bike to work scheme! :D  Don't know the provider or any other details yet, just that it is happening 'soon'.

For some time now I've had a list of types of bikes I'd like to own, but being sensible, the next one should be a proper touring bike.  Just hope whoever we're allowed to buy from can source a steel tourer that meets my requirements for £1,000.  Speaking of requirements, I think I should start work on the list...

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2755 on: 14 October, 2010, 12:58:59 pm »
Apologies for spoiling your good news but you will probably find that the scheme is likely to be far less attractive than it used to be.

See here for details.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2756 on: 14 October, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »
Apologies for spoiling your good news but you will probably find that the scheme is likely to be far less attractive than it used to be.

See here for details.

Yes, saw that earlier.  From the informal conversation I had about the scheme here it seems like it will still be worthwhile.  That said, I will do the maths very carefully before I commit to anything.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2757 on: 14 October, 2010, 01:37:19 pm »
I spoke to Bikescheme at the show. What they are doing is that they will offer to continue the rental for no cost (ie, they formally own the bike, you do not pay for the continued use) until the value is low enough to transfer. As the agreement is between you and them, it doesn't even matter if you leave your job. Others will probably follow suit.

« Reply #2758 on: 14 October, 2010, 02:43:24 pm »
I spoke to Bikescheme at the show. What they are doing is that they will offer to continue the rental for no cost (ie, they formally own the bike, you do not pay for the continued use) until the value is low enough to transfer. As the agreement is between you and them, it doesn't even matter if you leave your job. Others will probably follow suit.

Hmm, I would have thought that the tax man will look at that and say it doesn't count.  The work around is probably to make sure that you are paying something for "rental", a zero value is very likely to be considered as unrealistic.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2759 on: 14 October, 2010, 05:28:36 pm »
I seem to have got the heating working!  :smug:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

gordon taylor

« Reply #2760 on: 15 October, 2010, 09:48:59 pm »
Mrs Gordy is on a plane on the way home from New Zealand.

Yippee!

So I won't have to spend bored hours on this forum next week because I may be working through her "little list."

« Reply #2761 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:58:59 am »
Only 8 more assignments and 2 more exams to finish my OU degree.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2762 on: 17 October, 2010, 03:11:46 pm »
Cocoa-cream-raisin cheesecake. Made by Mrs Cudzo, now in my tummy. About seven pieces. More still in the kitchen.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2763 on: 17 October, 2010, 07:01:21 pm »
The next door neighbour was clearing out his shed today, & found a door. He offered it to us.

Although modern, it's not vastly different in materials (pine) & pattern from the original Victorian doors in the house, & it's the right size to replace the very naff cheapo flush bathroom (therefore not original) door that I've been meaning to get rid of for years.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2764 on: 18 October, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »
My replacement forks have arrived from Enigma at last, & are satisfactory.

This has taken 8 months. Remind me never to deal with them again.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2765 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:48:59 pm »
I was graded as "very good" in the recent staff "levelling" excercise.  This means that my job (if not my sanity) is safe for at least another....3 months...when I have to go through the whole process again..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2766 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:06:04 pm »
When I got into work today there was a jiffy envelope in my dookit. I wasn't expecting anything so I opened it, and it was an early birthday present from a friend. And it is

and I am delighted.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2767 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:08:17 pm »
I don't appear to be dying yet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2768 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:10:01 pm »

That is always good news.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2769 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:12:47 pm »

Sometimes not dying can be exceedingly painful and I really resent the futility of that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2770 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:22:30 pm »

Sometimes not dying can be exceedingly painful and I really resent the futility of that.

I can understand but, perhaps, not fully appreciate your resentment.

« Reply #2771 on: 19 October, 2010, 02:44:55 am »
I was hit head on at (police estimate) 85mph while driving taxi, hurt beyond belief with tongue cut into three pieces both knees shot ribs etc etc, however still preferable to not waking up,
                                                               :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2772 on: 19 October, 2010, 05:56:14 am »
I was hit head on at (police estimate) 85mph while driving taxi, hurt beyond belief with tongue cut into three pieces both knees shot ribs etc etc, however still preferable to not waking up,

OMG.

GWS.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2773 on: 19 October, 2010, 06:47:35 am »

bloody hell!!  Good to see you still typing, GWS!!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2774 on: 19 October, 2010, 07:26:10 am »

Youch!   :-X

Take it easy and GWS!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor